Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 09:16PM

So I was just messing around on the LDS Babycenter board and someone posted about their husband doing a summer study abroad program in Spain or Italy and wanting to find an apartment so she and their kids could join him. One of the ladies, presumably a military wife, cheerily announced that there's a military run Web site (restricted to military members or DoD employees) that advertises housing for military folks. She told the lady on the board that if the program was near a military installation, the apartment seeker could come by her house and have a "look-see". You have to have a military email address to access the housing referral system.

I may sound like a hard-hearted bitch for saying this, but this practice pisses me off. My husband and I recently lived in Germany. Finding housing was a nightmare because it was in very short supply. We lived in a hotel for six weeks before we finally found somewhere to live-- the competition was that fierce. The housing referral Web site is restricted to military folks for a very good reason.

Seems to me the hubby's university should be helping these people find housing, not the U.S. military. The same type of people abuse the mail system, the commissary, and the BX/PX for their church buddies. It's not just Mormons who do this, but it does seem strange that some Mo's would be so quick to violate military rules when they belong to a church with so many rules.

/rant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 09:51PM by knotheadusc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 09:22PM

And it is crooked as my hind leg!!

Date: March 27, 2011 09:28PM

Yeah... and these same ladies posted that self-righteous thread about snitching on mishies who are watching movies or surfing the Web. I guess it's an admirable thing to rat out misbehaving mishies who want to listen to secular music or watch a movie in a theater, but not such a big deal to misuse military privileges and deplete overseas housing opportunities for people who legitimately need a place to live for longer than the summer. And I bet these same people would be pissed off if someone reported them to the local command for what they're doing.

Hypocrisy anyone?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 10:19PM by knotheadusc.

Posted by: anon000 ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 09:54PM

One of our military ward bishops counselors was an Army dentist. When a GA visited once and complained about a tooth the dentist took him secretly into the clinic after hours and worked on him. That is very, very illegal. I am sure the both must have known it.

Date: March 28, 2011 08:40AM

Yeah, and given the convoluted process a lot of servicemembers and their families have to go through to get treatment, I'm sure if anyone knew about that dentist's actions it would also be very bad for morale.

In most cases, family members have to get dental treatment done on the economy, but I know when I was in Germany, it took three appointments to get a cleaning, x-rays and exam, and a small filling taken care of by a military dentist. And before any of that could be done, my husband had to show his orders to the receptionist so they could verify that we were posted in Germany and I was entitled to dental care there.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 09:59PM

I used to work with a guy who asked me about Mormon dietary restrictions. I couldn't think of any other than caffeine and alcohol. But, said my friend, two Mormon guys in my old Army unit got special meals all the time, and they said it was for religious reasons.

manipulative liars? not much

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 11:00PM

Posted by: BYUAlumnuts ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:45AM

I hear ya, and couldn't agree more. I served my country during Viet Nam. Mormons here in Utah used the National Guard and Army Reserve only for military perks. Then they got caught up in Bush's war. They got a little more than they bargained for.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.