Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jerry the Aspousetate ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 03:19PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 03:23PM

The first time I ever heard about 'permanent makeup', i.e. tattoed-on eyeliner, was from my Young Women's leader who had it done herself. lol

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 03:30PM

According to Old Joe, it's okay if you do it and don't tell anyone.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 03:53PM

Hmmm, it raises interesting questions.

Is a tattoo somehow evil in and of itself?

If you are going to put some specific marking on your body, every single day, before you go out into the world, how different is that from having the same marking applied permanently? The first is not only fine, it's strongly recommended by those in the Mormon hierarchy (for women, only, of course --- one of their main jobs in the Mormon scheme of things is to be decorative :) )

From the *very* little that I've read, it seems that tattooed make-up has to be redone every several years. So how is that morally different from drawing the marks on every day?

And, given that part of their daily work is to make themselves attractive for Mormon men, if it is okay for Mormon women to have makeup tattooed on, how is a tattoo that is not a makeup replacement somehow qualitatively evil? At what point does a small tattoo become shocking, rather than an enhancement?

Would the difference, by any chance, have to do with how old, mentally rigid, hyper-controlling men see the issue?

It's funny, how shallow Mormon logic seems, every time I stop and think about it....

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 04:05PM

I don't think you can blame this one on the patriarchy. Mormon women got themselves into the position of needing to be told what they can and cannot do largely by listening to other Mormon women. These are by definition uninformed because an informed woman won't be Mormon for very long.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 04:17PM

adornments are frowned upon in the bible and I was taught in YW's that strictly speaking, good mormon women do not wear loads of war paint (cosmetics) nor dye their hair. Funny how things change to suit fashions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.