Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 03:25AM

I borrowed a copy of the movie, Sully, from my ultra-TBM parents because they kept saying how great it was. I am suspect to all things that they rave about (because of their obsession with all things they can relate back to tssc...the Osmonds, Marriott hotels, etc.), this being no exception. I recall the recent thread about this movie and that Tom Hanks had some exposure to Mormonism during his upbringing. That might explain their obsession with him. Yes he's a great actor, but they become obsessed with the idea that anyone famous is or ever was Mormon. Also, I noted the blatant display of the Marriott hotels in the movie. I have to wonder if they were portraying that bit of detail accurately (and if so, why the long pause when showing the Marriott logo?), or did the Marriott company endorse this movie?

In any case I have noticed that when my parents are raving about anything, it's somehow related to tssc. Drives me bonkers.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 03:39AM

product placement

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 04:29AM

These companies help finance movies because of the exposure they receive.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 09:45AM

Your parents probably would not be so gung-ho Hanks fans if they knew how active he is in ...let's just say political groups not exactly supportive of LDS views.

Like Dave and Cheryl, my guess is if Marriott hotels were product placements, they paid.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 11:43AM

You should tell your folks that you really enjoyed the movie, especially the great acting of Aaron Eckhart (played Sully’s co-pilot) who graduated from BYU, served a mission, and now has nothing to do with the church.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 02:00PM

Hanks' exposure was very limited.
He is now a practicing Greek Orthodox, along with his wife, Rita Wilson.

He is very liberal in his views.

Have them watch "Philadelphia" with Denzel Washington, where he plays a gay man dying of of AIDS. Based on a true story

Or any of the Dan Brown movies he did (Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, etc)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 02:03PM by angela.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 30, 2017 07:21AM

You should have brought up co-star Aaron Eckhart, who graduated from BYU and went on a mission to France. He has also been featured in Cigar Aficionado.

Regarding cigars, Eckhart once said: "They're excellent to study to. You can put 'em down, pick 'em up – they keep you company while you're thinking. They're a good thinking man's tool."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.