Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 10:20AM

We often get queries on this board as to suggested wines to try.

From Food & Wine magazine, here is their list of 50 consistently reliable (and widely available) wines under $20. I recognize many of these wines as being those that I have selected to serve or bring for dinner, or have given as gifts. I agree that these are wines you can always count on. Others are new to me!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/beverages/50-wines-you-can-always-trust/ar-BBxpyt1?li=BBgdrt0&ocid=spartanntp#page=1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 10:52AM

Oh! That's a great magazine! Great share. :)

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 11:27AM

Oh man, I'm so spoiled. I used to not really like wine. I couldn't imagine spending more on wine than a great, single malt scotch. Then, my wife started traveling to Paris about every 6 weeks. She brings back wine that costs 50-70 dollars a bottle in the US, that cost about 12 US dollars in France. The quality, taste & value is amazing. There are wine stores everywhere in France and she & her colleagues know some of the owners that educate them and sell great wines at fair prices. Locals rarely spend more than ten bucks for wine, but they usually drink a bottle a day (or more).

Date: January 29, 2017 01:06PM

I'm not as familiar with French wines as I am with American, Australian, New Zealand, etc. But the French wines that I've been served lately have been more complex and interesting than those that come from other places.

The list that I shared represent perhaps not the most *interesting* wines, but instead, highly reliable, quality wines -- meaning that they are good to try or to take to someone else's house to share. No experienced wine drinker will turn up his or her nose at any of them that I can see. They represent value for the price point.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2017 01:08PM by summer.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 12:57PM

Ahhh, single malts.

The thing is, with wines and scotch, what one person finds sublime, another may find ... so-so, or worse.

Scotch (single malts) ...

I find these sublime ... if anyone gets a chance to sample a snifter they could do worse than the following:

Talisker.

Lagavulin.

Laphroaig.

As I said, individual tastes vary so very much that recommendations are difficult to make.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 01:14PM

Summer, if you haven't read Billionaire's Vinegar, it's a great read for anyone who loves wine. The Billionaire's Vinegar, in question, is owned by Steve Forbes and was thought to have been owned by Thomas Jefferson.

I've never gotten into wine; but on a recent trip to Montreal, some friends had me try a white wine that was delightful. Fortunately, I didn't get its name as my pocketbook is already challenged by my craft beer preference!

Hugs, Boner.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 01:16PM

I know and like most of the California wines listed. The imported selections are likely very good as well. I usually like wines from NZ, Australia and France although I don't know much about them.

Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 29, 2017 01:40PM

There are 50 wines ?

I'm obviously not a wine connoisseur.

Usually the wine I drink comes out of a cardboard box and the wine snobs hate me.

How does one "trust" a wine, anyway ?

If there's one thing I cannot stand it is a wine that is not trustworthy.

Date: January 29, 2017 03:20PM

Box wines are respected these days. It depends on the wine.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: January 30, 2017 04:15AM

I got through the first few pages on the list. I agree that the wines presented in the article are safe bets. I've been drinking wine for 12 years now and I have planted a vineyard in my backyard and tried making wine for a few years.

If you really want to understand wine try planting a vineyard. I have learned so much from all of the science and practical experience.

One book I highly recommend is "The wine lover's cookbook". This book breaks down flavor notes and how to pair food with wine.

When I first started drinking wine I fell in love with the big "fruit-forward" jammy California wines. They are very overt and hit you with huge flavor and lots of tannins. (Ravenswood, Blackstone) Over time I found that it was hard to pair food with these wines because the wine would overpower the meal - unless I was cooking steak or something super rich.

I have since found that a super important number to understand is the alcohol percentage listed on the bottle. A "typical" wine should be about 13.5 but I have found that this amount is already a big wine. I tend to go on the lighter side and my wife and I rarely buy anything over 13%. Forget anything over 14 or (lord help us) 15%. Not that a huge wine is bad, but a huge wine shouts loudly. Big wines can take over the meal, or your evening. Still not a bad thing but I find a lighter wine blends with most foods I cook.

My goto wine for most meals? The Trader Joe's "La Finca" Tempranillo. That's right. At $4 a bottle it can't be beat. It is a great light table wine. You won't impress any guests but it is such a great value and it pairs well with most meals. I should be embarrassed by its low cost but whatever - it works.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.