Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 01, 2017 07:16PM

The first to pop into my mind is Paul H Dunn. He agrandizes himself with fake stories. He sold a lot of BS in the form of books, tapes, and talks. In a way, Brother Dunn started his own church unto himself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cornflakereject ( )
Date: February 01, 2017 07:24PM

Paul H Dunn? Really? So he told some lies. Don't they all do that?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 01, 2017 10:15PM

There are more fools at the top because the intelligent ones left long before rising through the ranks.

Mormonism is self-filtering that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2017 10:16PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 01, 2017 10:38PM

Holland that's just the first to come to mind

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 01, 2017 10:40PM

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 03:17AM

If God really was the leader that created the endowment then I'll take my chances with the opposition that's where I draw the line there has got to be a better way than that nonsense of control so yea he's an idiot for making up all these secret rituals that almost look like Satan made them up. But Jesus just pisses me off because he doesn't do anything he's an absent God and I've called for help throughout life and got nothin.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 06:41AM

The biggest idiots would be those senior leaders who actually believe. Personally, I doubt that there are any.

The second-biggest idiots would be those who follow the senior leaders. I'm happy I'm no longer such an idiot.

Third biggest idiots would be those who know it's a fraud, but refuse to walk away from it because they believe it is somehow "a good church," and "family-oriented."

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 09:29AM

I thought about this and IMO here are the top contenders.

Dieter Uchtdorf, for his leading role in "The Cell Phone and the Stone". He is also nominated for best voice in the classic: "Doubt Your Doubts".

Second Runner Up is David Bednar, for his performance in: "You Can Never Go Back" when describing how his eldery wife used to be physically attractive and is now attractive in a different way.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 09:43AM

Also, I would like to nominate M. Russel Ballard for his stirring, yet disingenuous performance in "Where will you go? What will you do?"

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 10:44AM

The cell phone thing was pretty convincingly stupid, all right.

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 10:40AM

Below are some of the wonderful claims that the beloved Paul Dunn made about his brushes with greatness. Tears of joy and warmed hearts can testify that the Spirit told all in the audiences where Dunn spoke that Dunn was absolutely telling the truth. The only way someone could suppose that Dunn wasn't telling the truth would be if the teaching about "feeling the Spirit" was full of bullcrap. But we rest assured thanks to the beloved Correlation program that this is nothing to worry about so we'll stay focused on obedience/service to the beloved church.

Keep in mind that compared to being a very important spokesman for the most honest, truthful, and transparent church in history in the dispensation of times as a General Authority, even a low-ranking GA, it would be pitiful obscurity for a baseball player to have a 1.000 batting average, home runs every at-bat, and MVP every year for 2+ decades. Well here are some of Dunn's brushes with famous MLB ball players that helped prepare him for brushing shoulders with the real major league players, i.e. the men who served in the First Quorum of the Seventy and other holy callings that let them sit in those tabernacle red chairs and be on the Ensign centerfolds.

• STAN MUSIAL. "When I was 18 years old, a rookie with
the St. Louis Cardinals, 1 reported to spring training."
There, he said, were some real pros like Stan Musial who
was "just climbing into his heyday."

• JOE DIMAGGIO. "As a young baseball player I once had
the honor and challenge of pitching against Joe
DiMaggio of the Yankees."

• TED WILLIAMS. "He was no slouch. I know; I have
pitched to him a time or two."

• WILLIE MAYS. "I pitched against Willie Mays as he
broke into baseball and I was leaving the scene."

• LOU GEHRIG. "You're going to be great," Gehrig told
Dunn, then a twelve -year-old bat boy for the Arkansas
Travelers, after Gehrig let the kid pitch to him during
batting practice.

• BABE RUTH. Another star that Dunn, as a bat boy, says
he threw to during batting practice.

• BOB FELLER. "If you ever want a lesson in humility, bat
against [Bob] Feller," Dunn said about his experience
during a servicemen's exhibition game during World
War II.

You can learn more about the St. Louis Cardinals players at http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/history/players.jsp but I really don't have time to look up Dunn there so I won't. Besides the Brethren haven't told us its important. And even if they said it was important there are too many things to do, like scrubbing the chapel toilets, to allow me to have time anyway.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 12:03PM

I have to go with Bednar. His “Quick to Observe” devotional address given at BYU on May 10, 2005 is about as idiotic as it gets -

“Sister Bednar and I are acquainted with a returned missionary who had dated a special young woman for a period of time. This young man cared for the young woman very much, and he was desirous of making his relationship with her more serious. He was considering and hoping for engagement and marriage. Now this relationship was developing during the time that President Hinckley counseled the Relief Society sisters and young women of the Church to wear only one earring in each ear.

The young man waited patiently over a period of time for the young woman to remove her extra earrings, but she did not take them out. This was a valuable piece of information for this young man, and he felt unsettled about her nonresponsiveness to a prophet’s pleading. For this and other reasons, he ultimately stopped dating the young woman, because he was looking for an eternal companion who had the courage to promptly and quietly obey the counsel of the prophet in all things and at all times. The young man was quick to observe that the young woman was not quick to observe.”

Idiot.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 12:37PM

I agree completely, Mr. Happy.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:14PM

eeeewwwww, "promptly and quietly obey." Robots.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 05:54PM

Bednar gets my vote for his "There are no homosexuals in the church" comment.

Posted by: 鍾益飛 ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 04:10PM

To be fair, if you believe the prophet is the mouthpiece of God on Earth, as Mormons do, it makes sense to avoid partners who do not take the prophet seriously.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2017 04:31PM by 鍾益飛.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 02:43PM

Big idiots are contemporary general authorities in the so-called church but more specifically the fabulous 15 false profits who know to a man that this creepy CULT is an ecclesiastical pyramid scheme dreamed up by a 19th century low-life named jo smith jr. in concert with low-life family members/equally suspect, guttural opportunists who gravitated to his dishonesty! No doubt, smith, his family/cronies created this monster! When one realizes that we're dealing with a smith family CON, understanding the scope of treachery becomes more palatable! Good folks, they were all in on it - including emma! Unfortunately for emma, smith later double-crossed her with his polygamy, polyandry (marrying women who were already married)/ sexual deprivation in general! No one will ever know how many young, underage, teen children/victimized women fell prey to his promise of self/family salvation in the kingdom! And that doesn't include likely clandestine rendezvous with women of the night when opportunity presented itself!

To be more definitive in regard to our current crop of false apostle creeps, I must agree with others - bednar/holland stand out above the rest but all of these corporate criminals stealing billions every year under the false pretense of God's one true church must be identified as repugnant, complicit, corporate thieves/operatives in the kingdom of absurdity/lies! These God Con criminals of mormonism don't deserve any respect whatsoever! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 05:02PM

Well, at first I thought that it would be hard to decide. When you have candidates like Holland, Bednar, and Oaks, and then you have Uchtdorf chiming in with his silliness, how can I choose?

Then, I realized that I am pretty sure that all but Uchtdorf are nasty, mean, cruel, arrogant, and vicious. I'm not convinced that Uchtdorf is as bad as the others. But if he isn't, he still goes along with the other three. So that may make him the overall winner in the idiot sweepstakes. The others may not be idiots. They may just be bad.

So now I am going to vote for those who are (perhaps) not so bad as Holland, Bednar, or Oaks, but who go along with them. I suspect that those are the true winners of this particular sweepstakes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.