Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: March 27, 2011 11:45PM

Church-sanctioned Child Abuse...

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/26/members-of-aleitheia-bible-church-in-wisconsin-charged-with-abus/

The pastor and seven members of a small church in central Wisconsin have been charged with using wooden rods to spank infants as young as 2 months old for "being emotional, grumpy or crying," the Dane County Sheriff's office said...

"Throughout the investigation, the church members were open with detectives about their 'Spare the rod, spoil the child' philosophy. They described using wooden dowels and wooden spoons on the bare skin of children, starting as young as 2 months old," the sheriff's office said.

"If you spank early and it is done right, then kids will be happy and obedient," Philip Caminiti said, according to the criminal complaint.

According to the sheriff's office, the dowels were described as being 12-18 inches long with a diameter about the size of a quarter. The parents told detectives that "redness and bruising" were the "common effects of the spankings."

"One person described the children being emotional, grumpy or crying as behaviors that would constitute a spanking with a dowel," according to the sheriff's office...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:29AM

If this is the morals you get by believing in God, then I think we could do better without this God.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:31AM

Beating a two month old baby is a great way to get them to stop crying. Right.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:47AM

"You shall beat him with a rod, And deliver his soul from hell."

Hmmm, I guess these are the people that do not take the bible literally that we are told so much about... Or maybe its just their interpretation that is the problem.

Phhht. As long as such nonsense as Prov 23:14 is canonized as scripture by Churches, This sort of abuse should be laid at the feet of the Churches that claim this as sacred scripture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 12:53AM by MJ.

Posted by: sukiyhtaky ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:50AM

Bring these people to me and I will be happy to use my talents with a wooden baseball bat to bring these people to "happiness and obedience". As a matter of fact, I am prepared to make them deliriously happy. No thanks will be needed.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:04AM

I was raised by Mormon parents who followed this kind of philosophy. No child was too young for "a beating." My mother kept a long wooden stick by the fridge.

Fifty years later. My parents are afraid of me and will not visit California, even to see one of my siblings. They can stay in Utah. And, yes, I would be tempted to beat the shit out of them.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:06AM

That's horrible. You know in the article it states it makes them obedient and happy. Yes OBEDIENT but HAPPY, not. Only obedient b/c afraid to be any other way. sooooooo sad.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:18AM

That is not the way to train a pup. This will show in many ways as the kids get older. And TWO MONTHS? Their job at that age is to eat, sleep, err... output and CRY. That is what little dudes DO.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:04AM

..."Babies cry when they're hungry. They cry when they are uncomfortable, frightened, or bored. And sometimes they cry for no reason at all."

Posted by: staind ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:19AM

Most religious people imo would condemn this crap.

I'm a huge college football fan. Most of our fan base are respectable passionate fans. Some are absolute idiots whom the rest of us are completely embarrassed by.

Religious people are a case by case study. Some are freaks. Most are not.

Just my opinion

Date: March 28, 2011 01:25AM

staind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most religious people imo would condemn this crap.
>
>
> I'm a huge college football fan. Most of our fan
> base are respectable passionate fans. Some are
> absolute idiots whom the rest of us are completely
> embarrassed by.
>
> Religious people are a case by case study. Some
> are freaks. Most are not.
>
> Just my opinion

I agree. These people are hardly typical of religious people. No Christians I know believe in such things and, in fact, many do not believing in spanking ever.This is horrendous, but to imply that this is typical religious behavior is ridiculous.In my family I was much more likely to be spanked by by my non religious father than by my TBM mom. My TBM mother can remember being spanked once in her life and she grew up in the early 20th century when spanking was the accepted way to discipline kids.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 04:11AM

bona dea Wrote:
> No Christians I know believe in
> such things and, in fact, many do not believing in
> spanking ever.This is horrendous, but to imply
> that this is typical religious behavior is
> ridiculous.

Where did these people learn that hitting a kid with a stick was good? Just because the people you know ignore this passage does not mean that the passage is not in the scriptures Christians claim are the word of God!

Why is it ok for Christians to cite passages in the Old Testament against homosexuality to justify their intolerance, but when these people use the Bible to justify their behavior it is unChristian. Whether people follow all the teachings in the Bible does not prove that the Bible does not teach violence.

How are people supposed to know which parts of Gods word they can safely ignore and which ones will condemn them to hellfire? The fact that people do not follow all of the teachings in the bible demonstrates a willingness to reject religion not the fruit of that religion.

Date: March 28, 2011 08:29AM

helemon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> bona dea Wrote:
> > No Christians I know believe in
> > such things and, in fact, many do not believing
> in
> > spanking ever.This is horrendous, but to imply
> > that this is typical religious behavior is
> > ridiculous.
>
> Where did these people learn that hitting a kid
> with a stick was good? Just because the people
> you know ignore this passage does not mean that
> the passage is not in the scriptures Christians
> claim are the word of God!
>
> Why is it ok for Christians to cite passages in
> the Old Testament against homosexuality to justify
> their intolerance, but when these people use the
> Bible to justify their behavior it is unChristian.
> Whether people follow all the teachings in the
> Bible does not prove that the Bible does not teach
> violence.
>
> How are people supposed to know which parts of
> Gods word they can safely ignore and which ones
> will condemn them to hellfire? The fact that
> people do not follow all of the teachings in the
> bible demonstrates a willingness to reject
> religion not the fruit of that religion.
Yeah, I know where they get it, but I stand by what I said. Most religious people don't beat tiny babies.Making this into a huge religious problem is as silly as saying that without religion kids will think they are pond scum and resort to shooting up schools which is what a Christian said on another thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 08:36AM by bona dea.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:04PM

Why do they go to and support a church that teaches this sort of behavior by canonizing it as holy scripture? Why are they not condemning the church for giving such teachings the status of holy scripture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 02:05PM by MJ.

Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:06PM

Loooove college fb, myself. love that time of yr.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:29AM

I can't tell you how many times I got blistered across the legs and backside with that thing when I was little.

But when I was in my mid-teens and she tried to use it on me, I wrestled it away from her, broke it across my knee and handed her the pieces. "Don't you EVER raise a hand to me again!" I snarled.

She never did.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:48AM

I got spanked growing up and got the belt a few times. Today I think kids would rather be spanked than lose computer, cell phone, or television privileges. I take things away or I have plenty of extra jobs they can do for punishment. All my kids have work to do but I can double it easy.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:59AM

Unfortunately, this sort of thing is once again becoming widespread---and it is being pushed by many churches.

There's a guy called Ted Tripp that lectures to and teaches these fools that infants need the rod. He wrote a bestselling book about it that is sold in many Christian book stores. But he's not the only pro-spanking christian out there. Lots of churches publish pamphlets telling parents how to do their christian duty properly, and how often to beat their children and with what objects.

Hot saucers and baby beaters alike, such as Lisa Welchel ( the actress who played Blair, in Facts of Life) are big fans of his.

So are people who attend the following churches:

Bethel Baptist in CA; Church of God in Ontario, Canada; most of the Independent Fundamentalist Baptist (IFB) churches worldwide; World Harvest Church in central Ohio and its offshoots.

I am from an area near World Harvest; they've long been known as off-their-head nuts, but that didn't stop their congregation from growing like wildfire. I was happy to read the Columbus Dispatch online, and see that they just received a $6 million judgement against them for spanking a kid in their daycare. How divine...

Posted by: steveadams ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 08:43AM

KSL had a story on spanking children about one year ago.
The forum discussion that followed seemed more divided along education lines rather than religious or political philosophical lines. Those who were less educated were more eager to embrace spanking as a way to discipline. I would guess conservative, uneducated people are more likely to support spanking, and that conservative, uneducated people are more likely to be religious.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 08:45AM

There have been a couple of twisted people post on this forum that if the god of the day commanded them to take the life of another person, they could do so. All because they believed a god told them to do so. The popular gods of the day are a violent breed, because they mirror their makers; those who feel the need to control and manipulate the unthinking. Beat a baby, kill your neighbor--god desired it, so be it. The means justifies the end. It is sick and twisted, religion.

Glad2B Out

Date: March 28, 2011 08:47AM

There is also a big difference between an occasional spanking and beating a baby for crying. I think there are better ways of discipline than spanking, but I think most people have spanked a kid occasionally. A light slap on the hand or the bottom isn't the same thing as hutting a kid with a stick.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:04AM

...only when they whacked each other, just to let them know that physical harm would be met by same. I feel bad about it now, but they're both (almost) straight A+ students, artistic, and fairly funny kids.
At 2 months, the only physical punishment I recall was when I just COULD NOT get one of them to burp after a 1 a.m. feeding and literally banged my head against the wall in the kitchen...
My dad had a russian razor strop that met my backside a couple times when I really got outta line.

Posted by: mollymormonfaker ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:57AM

My mom had my father make a wooden paddle specifically for that purpose, about 15" long and 1" thick. Before that, it was a boar-bristle hair brush or a hand. There's no way I would do that to my kid now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.