Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 05:37PM

https://www.lds.org/friend/2017/02/golden-plates-to-book-of-mormon?lang=eng

Changing the narrative with the little ones:

"Joseph used a special rock called a seer stone to translate the plates. He also used a tool called the Urim and Thummim, two clear rocks bound together with metal that looked like a pair of glasses. This tool had been buried in the Hill Cumorah with the plates."

Edit, I was surprised to find an article in the Friend from 1974 that talks about the seer stone.

https://www.lds.org/friend/1974/09/a-peaceful-heart?lang=eng

"Joseph also used an egg-shaped, brown rock for translating called a seer stone."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 06:01PM by liesarenotuseful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 05:53PM

"Four years later, Joseph and his wife, Emma, went in a *stolen* wagon to get the plates."

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 05:53PM

It looks like part of the plan- starting a few years ago- with the 'essays'. Why does it take a hundred and seventy years to start teaching the children (some of the) truth... which are really lies, like ALL primary children were/ are taught, by TLC (the lying 'church') and the ignorant, but believing (the lies - cog dis?) parents.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 07:32PM

I'll bet dollars to donuts that most, if not all, of the top 15 never knew the rock in the hat story until later in life, even though it's the mo-lit'. And not even the "meat" part.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 07:45PM

As a Momorn child undergoing intensive indoctrination, I was never told about the magic rock. They told me that the Urim and Thummim was a set of lenses, which Joe used to "see" the right words.

All lies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 07:45PM by donbagley.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 08:12PM

Just to be clear, don -- the "magic rock" is a lie, too :)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 09:35PM

Along with all they teach.

Date: February 15, 2017 01:01AM

the magic rock was news to me too, just last year.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 15, 2017 05:26PM

From an old post:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1894103,1894785#msg-1894785

Here's what Bruce R. McDonkey wrote about it in "Mormon Doctrine":

"PEEP STONES. See Devil, Revelation, Urim and Thummim. In imitation of the true order of heaven whereby seers receive revelations from God through a Urim and Thummim, the devil gives his own revelations to some of his followers through "peep stones" or "crystal balls. An instance of this copying of the true order occurred in the early days of this dispensation. Hiram Page had such a stone and was professing to have revelations for the up-building of Zion and the governing of the Church. Oliver Cowdery and some others were wrongly influenced thereby in consequence of which Oliver was commanded by revelation: 'Thou shalt take thy brother, Hiram Page, between him and thee alone, and tell him that those things which he hath written from that stone are not of me, and that Satan deceiveth him.' (D. & C.) 28:11."

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: February 15, 2017 10:24AM

Don't forget the magic breast plate to go with the magic spectacles. Growing in the 60's and 70's sunday school and primary would show the picture of ol' Joe wearing his glasses and breastplate. It couldn't have been stranger.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: February 15, 2017 03:36PM

Hummm. A lot of magic going on it seems...

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: February 15, 2017 04:05PM

Nobody is asking the question...

WHERE did this seer stone come from? How did Joseph Smith obtain it?

Seriously.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 15, 2017 05:28PM

"WHERE did this seer stone come from? How did Joseph Smith obtain it?"

https://user.xmission.com/~research/central/resth9.htm

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: February 15, 2017 04:08PM

Oh well ... "baby steps."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 12:38AM by lurking in.

Date: February 16, 2017 12:04AM

we want a picture. Problem is, how ridiculous it would look.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 01:00AM

I was once given an assignment to give a talk about the BoM. I assume this was because I was one of the few people in the ward who had actually read it.

I gave the correlated version of how it was translated, and then talked about some of the stories that were in it. I told the kids that if any of them were into Science Fiction they might like reading the BoM once they got past the first two or three books. You could hear the gasp in the room (I secretly giggled).

I was never asked to speak in sacrament meeting again.

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 01:59PM

That's fascinating that the Urim/Thummim/spectacles have their own adjustable holder attached to the golden breastplate, lest they slide off the Prophet's nose! Quite modern ergonomics!

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: February 16, 2017 03:33PM

No mention at all of the magic wifi hat that allowed the istone to connect to god's internet, though. Why not? Would that make joseph appear too similar to a stage magician pulling a rabbit out his hat, perchance? I reckon I would have thought so, I already thought Joseph was a bit wizardish after I saw a picture of him in a cape and top hat with a walking stick during a primary class once, long ago.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 11:25PM

Some "FRIEND" of mine, to lie to me like that. As a kid, I'd say/ think what? WAKE UP kids!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.