Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 08:23PM

Questions?

I read the text, searched, and studied and am looking for some alternate, easier ways to explain the similarities and differences between lahars and pyroclastic flows. I understand the similarities and differences theoretically, but like to read various sources and voices in order to better express myself. I'm mostly done with my answers but wanted to see if I could pick some exmo brains. BF explained some, but that specific area of Earth science is not his specialty.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 09:12PM

Gee, Itz, I'd love to join in, but I probably know less than you do. I know the basic differences (essentially melted water/mud flow vs. eruption debris flow), but lava flow geology isn't really my thing, either.

Can I watch the thread to see if some experts give us additional light and knowledge, though? ;-)

Date: February 24, 2017 09:19PM

My instructor relayed to us that this is a class that may help in ways we didn't know before. One of his former students, who was applying for the FBI, did well in the course and they were interested in that. Apparently the FBI needs people who are well versed in Earth sciences for various reasons. Another student knew to hire a surveyor before purchasing some land so as to ascertain any possible geology related disasters that could happen.

This is why I love learning so much, you never know how it may help you in the future if you know how to apply your knowledge. My Greek mythology obsession paid off last semester in my Women's Lit class when I completed a paper on HD's "Eurydice" and my prof wants to use it as an example of how to write an excellent paper at this level. :) This is why I don't understand people who disparage school, learning, and instructors, it is absolutely fantastic to understand the world a little better everyday!

Posted by: hmmm ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 09:20PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but lahars are solids suspended in liquid(s), and pyroclastic flows are solids suspended in gases, both the result of an explosive release of heat from within the planet.

How's that for a layman?

Date: February 25, 2017 12:36AM

SMRT..wait...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA

That's how I feel when I take "hard" science courses and do well.

Posted by: hmmm ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 07:23AM

Yup. I thought it pretty dumb to bump the thread at risk of showing my ignorance. I also thought that when enmeshed in complex subjects, it can sometimes be helpful to state the simple.

btw, I've never seen a Simpson's episode, more of a Monty Python type, so would much rather discuss the aerodynamics of coconuts, anyway.

Date: February 25, 2017 10:20AM

BF is the one that finally got me to sit down and watch The Life of Brian and The Meaning of Life around a decade ago. Funny yet thought provoking stuff. :)

The Simpsons is pretty bland now. IDK if it's because I'm older or it's different writers, but I don't think I would miss it if it were canceled. There's always reruns.

Date: February 25, 2017 10:22AM

This has been helpful. I used a couple of my Chegg study questions and asked here and I think I have a decent handle on the subject now. I knew exmos would come through because there is a lot of intelligent, talented and educated people here.

Feel free to hijack the thread and discuss comedy or whatever chips your potato.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 09:30PM

That's me mister science nerd the problem is there is no easier way to explain those flows, thanks call me when theres a math question that was easy.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 11:56PM

Hmmm is correct.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/volcanic-hazards-definition-types-prevention.html

This link doesn't describe Lahars, but they are volcanic gunk mixed w/water, can be hot or cold.

In the '60s, we were packed up, ready to evacuate Lassen Peak area. May have been a false alarm from large trucks rattling the seismograph while driving right in front of it.

Anyway. As a kid, I kept all my toys by the front door.

I know what some children around Oroville Dam may be feeling. I hope counseling is offered to them. Finally, in my 60s, I consulted a therapist because the trauma of that volcanic threat didn't go away.

The nice (?) thing about volcanos is that prior to eruption, they rattle like a pot starting to simmer on a stove. *Generally,* people caught in volcanos have had hot sand falling on their heads for a week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 12:01AM by kathleen.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 12:14AM

lahars are mud ?

Date: February 25, 2017 12:51AM

They don't seem to be as slow and mud-like and as a lava flow.

Date: February 25, 2017 12:54AM

Craters of The Moon National Park is a great place to see old hardened lava flow and cinder beds.

It's a strangely beautiful place.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 05:05AM

I've been there a couple times not much else to do in Idaho.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 01:45AM

Looking through my Geology 101 notes and the USGS website on volcano warnings, lahars are mudslides of dirt, ash, and debris that flow down the sides and into low areas like rivers and flood plains. Lahars can occur with or without an eruption (ice and snow, as well as backed up waters can cause lahars).
Pyroclastic flows are caused by eruptions, carrying ash and toxic gases into the air and debris flow on the ground. Think Mt. St. Helens for pyroclastic flow. Pyroclastic flows are also much faster, next to impossible to run from.
In other words, lahars are more likely to occur, but pyroclastic flows are deadlier.
The USGS page mentioned: https://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vhp/education.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.