Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:09AM

I have rarely even have had a drink since leaving, and this certainly was not a good choice for me.

But I was with someone I feel safe with, so I drank too much, which really was not a whole lot.

I wanted to drown out the sorrow and rejection I have felt this past weekend.

It helped some, but now I feel like crap. I am just never gonna be a drinker.

Although I know I made the right decision to leave, sometimes the pain from family members gets the best of me, and I really have no idea in those moments how to best escape it.

How do you all cope, when the lows become near unbearable?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 28, 2011 03:15AM

Thanks for that info- had no idea. My drinking days are over.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:18AM

He'll tell you all about the destructiveness of alcohol for someone who has "alcoholic' tendencies.

Posted by: AquaLeo ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:19AM

I am a bit intoxicated myself tonight.

Posted by: dino ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:21AM

I have found that doing something physical really helps me. Biking and hiking really help me. I think it's because I'm actually doing something, and it gives me time to think. If I just chill, I get even more depressed. If I try to play a video game, or read, I just get side tracked thinking about it. But the combination of exercise and thinking seems to work really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 03:22AM by dino.

Date: March 28, 2011 03:24AM

Well I am certainly not smashed and a lot has worn off, but still I feel it , and I do not like the feeling.

And I cannot sleep.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 03:25AM by think4u.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 04:01AM

think4u Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well I am certainly not smashed and a lot has worn
> off, but still I feel it , and I do not like the
> feeling.
>
> And I cannot sleep.

If the bed starts spinning and you can't stop it then you are in puking territory. It's not a fun place to be and I've been there too many times in the past. I spent a whole night puking bile and dry heaving because of too much alcohol.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:56AM

In my family, church membership has never been an issue. We just don't talk about it. So I can't help you there.

As someone who suffers from depression, I can tell you alcohol and other drugs can make it worse, sometimes MUCH worse.

If you have family members making rude or hurtful comments to you about your "choices" they don't deem appropriate, you may want to gently remind them of the 11th article of faith and ask them to extend to you the same courtesy they would like and/or expect.

http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,106-1-2-1,FF.html
http://lds.org/scriptures/pgp/a-of-f/1?lang=eng
http://newsroom.lds.org/article/articles-of-faith

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Date: March 28, 2011 03:56AM

All alcohol does is remove your inhibitions. I remember working with this girl at work who never spoke much and was really quiet. Then at the company Christmas party she got drunk and turned into this funny, talkative person. We couldn't believe what the alcohol did to her. It removed her shyness.

Angry people will get more angry on alcohol. Happy people will get happier. Depressed people will get more depressed.

If you want to see who a person really is, get them drunk. Once the alcohol kicks in they can't hide their true selves. A drunk asshole probably is an asshole but they mask it over when they are sober.

Sometimes I think the Soviets allowed the free flow of vodka because it made people sloppy and it made them talk. Also, once you get a society hooked on something you control the flow of, you control them.

Date: March 28, 2011 04:12AM

What really helped me get un-depressed was working very intently in refining myself through martial arts training. I worked with a master that uses a Tao tea ceremony to see where you are at mentally and spiritually and then he works from there. I was amazed at what he could tell about me from my body language.

It made everything in my life better. We live in a world of noise and distractions and when all of that gets unbalance it creates stress and depression. I think most people need to sit down with someone who knows how to read people and have a stress management program put together. I think there are many ways of doing this. Mine is pretty intense but the same control that allows me to put more power into a punch or gracefully move out of the way of one, also applies to everything. This guy watched me eat and drink and I was amazed at what he picked up and he then put a program together for me to work on my weak areas.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:04AM

Don't beat yourself up over it. Drinking too much alcohol is instructional because it is self punishing.

There is a learning curve or phase with alcohol consumption. Most people go through this phase when they are in their late teens or early twenties (the college years and slightly beyond.) But even adults who are experienced drinkers occasionally overindulge.

Most of the time, it's not a big deal. You wake up the next day and remember, oh right, I really don't want to do that again.

If you know that you've had more than you should, pour yourself a big glass of orange juice and take some aspirin before you go to sleep. Drink some additional water if you are able to. Hydration is key.

Posted by: unclenephi ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:25PM

Why did you get so wasted? Are you okay? I know when I am down I really like to do Yoga. If you stand on your head (shirshasana) it really helps with blood flow and clears your mind. I will do this for 20 minutes or so and it really helps. You should try it. Start with just a minute or two and work your way up. Be sure to place a pillow under your head. Good luck!

Posted by: xophor ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:36PM

I think my drinking days are behind me too...used to be able to really put it away, but now after one beer, I have my hangover about two hours afterward.

As someone who also deals with depression, one thing I've found that always helps to pull me up a bit is to do something for someone else...the random act of kindness. Just do something for someone for no reason whatsoever...the selfless act on behalf of another is a sure-fire way to reinforce your self-worth. No, it doesn't solve all your problems, but it gets you moving in the right direction.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:50PM

I take a prescription drug that makes it so that I shouldn't drink more than a drink occasionally. Never drunk. Bummer.

I love to drink! I drank from age 16 in high school, till mid twenties when I started taking the prescription. I'd stop out of mormon guilt a few times.

I never got sick or had a hang over. On graduation night in high school, I drank a 5th of whiskey and didn't get sick. I didn't get angry and fight ever, I was happy and had a great time. I loved it.

After not drinking for 15 years, I smelled a beer and got a flood of great memories. Almost an overwhelming flood of memories that had me grinning from ear to ear. All my drinking memories were of good times. Then I started drinking non alcoholic beer while still TBMish. Then one real beer a week after getting out of the church.

I would so love to get drunk!

Bummer that it's wasted on those who don't enjoy it and get sick :)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.