Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 10:51AM

If we pit one against the other... which one is better... Lent or the WoW?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 11:08AM

How 'bout, neither?

If you're asking seriously, I don't think there is a comparison. They are apples and oranges. One is a "health code" the other is a temporary sacrifice, in theory to benefit a charity.

If you want a closer comparison, Lent is more similar to "Fast Sundays". Fast Sundays, similar to Lent, the worshiper gives up something (2 meals specifically) and gives the money that would have been spent on those meals to the church, with the idea that it would go to help feed someone who needs it.

In that case Fast Sundays and Lent are pretty much the same thing. The idea that sacrifice is supposed to help bring you closer to the God you worship with the added benefit of helping out those in need.

Is one better than the other, I think it could be argued both ways, it probably depends on where your beliefs lie.

Personally, I don't see the point. Give to the charity of your choice. If you feel the need to give something up in order to do so, then do so. Announcing that you're sacrificing something and giving to the poor, seems to go against Christ's teaching that things should be done humbly and in private.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 11:38AM

Finally Free! Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How 'bout, neither?

Amen, brother.

Whenever Lent comes around, I'm reminded of the story of the monks in Europe who came up with the idea of dropping a leg of lamb down into a well, "fishing" it out, and then eating it on Friday as "fish" -- because they missed their meat. :)

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 12:05PM

I happen to be in an area of the country where Lent is a somewhat big deal. I was talking to a coworker who pointed out that he might take it a bit more serious if the church leaders didn't come up with excuses to get out of the rules...

"Sorry, my doctor says I have to eat red meat, so I'll have to eat a burger, on Ash Wednesday specifically... Here's my doctor's note."

It's big enough that the cafeteria where I work served fish yesterday... Which lead to the conversation of, what about people in an obscure religion where they had to eat something specific, would the cafeteria accommodate them? Of course they wouldn't.

Personally, I kind of like when Lent rolls around, because paczkis are delicious.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 11:09AM

How is Lent related to the Word of Wisdom?

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 11:40AM

They're different riffs on the same guilt trip.

Posted by: AKuriousKat ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 12:21PM

This nevermo has never thought to compare the two, very insightful!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 12:47PM

I'm participating in the discipline of Lent. Lent is symbolic of Jesus's 40 days in the wilderness of spiritual fasting, temptation, and triumph.

Some Christians choose to give up certain types of food for Lent. That's their call. I joke about giving up chocolate. In reality, my Lenten journey is to be in Solidarity with Jesus to try to become more attuned to the needs of my neighbors and to try to serve them.

Hie, Fratello Mio, I am a hypocrite. I am too human. I am a wanker. But, as imperfect as I am, I an trying to love what is hard to love. Some people, like you, are easy for me to love. Your friendship, your brilliant mind, your passion for truth, your devotion to your family, and even your awesome French speaking!

My challenge is not you, it is people whom I dislike or find boorish. The good news, for me, is that when I seek the good in people, I generally find it.

Yeppers, Lent is simply a long-term part of the traditional liturgical church calendar. Many Christians don't use or see the need for this tradition. However, Christians agree that the central teaching of Christ focus on loving our neighbors and forgiving others. So, don't practice Lent, but do follow your heart.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 08:42PM

BYU Boner Wrote:
> ...my Lenten journey
> is to be in Solidarity with Jesus to try to become
> more attuned to the needs of my neighbors and to
> try to serve them.

No, no, my hard friend, you're missing the point! You're supposed to give something up, not take on new, compassionate, helpful tasks! :)

> Hie, Fratello Mio, I am a hypocrite. I am too
> human. I am a wanker. But, as imperfect as I am, I
> an trying to love what is hard to love. Some
> people, like you, are easy for me to love. Your
> friendship, your brilliant mind, your passion for
> truth, your devotion to your family, and even your
> awesome French speaking!

Right back at ya.
See, it's that right there that makes YOU easy to love.
You don't make excuses for being human. For making mistakes.
You don't try to weasel out of being human with rationalizations and justifications.
You celebrate it, recognize when it could be better, and work on it.

I love that.
I really, really do.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 08:53PM

You can give up the word of wisdom for lent.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 02, 2017 10:35PM

donbagley Wrote:
> You can give up the word of wisdom for lent.

THAT is what we are talking about!

The WEIRD of Wisdom is just that!

M@t

P.S.- There is no wisdom in the changing words: "hot drinks" (except hot chocolate, 'postum', camomile tea, etc.), CAFFEINE [ban ended in fall, 2012], mild barley drinks (excluding beer?), lick her, smokes, meet (except in times of family) [in season, when needed], health code-no!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 10:42PM by moremany.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.