Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:04PM

I know it sounds weird but do you have or did you have enough faith that if or when the Bishop tells you God wants you to leave your spouse and go be with another person, would you?

Multiple legal spouses may soon be on the horizon. The day may be coming g where the church wants spouses to leave their less active spouses or non member spouses for an active spouse. Several wives for every man. This may soon be happening.

Would you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:10PM

No just no but HELL NO!!

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:20PM

Reminds'me of when bishop said he would gather everyone's prescription drugs in disaster and redistribute them as he feels inspired.

Nah.

He made me go inactive. Move out of paradise ca w a Rd and not attend church in my next town.
Criminal.

If he felt it was acceptable to take away inhalers a few give puffs of life to those he was inclined to spare/ why would I trust him with my husband?

Posted by: Dogblogger ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:33PM

Only if the church wants to pay out lots of alienation of affection lawsuits will they do that.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:38PM

I don't even know who my bishop is.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:40PM

OK, I'll play along

I don't generally do anything just cause someone else whats me to do it, I listen to my own heart. When I was active I drove the Mormons crazy! You can't say that! Well I'm gonna, cause I don't want to live with regrets my whole life just because I didn't get something out. You can't do that! Hold my Ovaltine!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 10:41PM by seamaiden.

Posted by: - ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 10:49PM

I swear to give all my time, talents, and energies to the corporation of the president of the church of jesus christ.

Sound familiar? Mormons are in total dissonance with their own reality.

Anyone who wouldn't murder their own child like Abraham and Eloheim is both too sane for that cult and totally unworthy according to it.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 11:23PM

You got to be kidding.

I have a hard time believing any Mormon would think a Mormon Bishop would have that much ability to follow that blindly.

They must have had several times when Bishops have made the wrong call. Knowing that, how would anyone actually be able to trust that the Bishop is making the right call on such a thing?

I could see them doing it if it were one of their General Authorities...but a Bishop?!!!

I know the Mormons around me, but I have a hard time thinking they would do something like that from the comments I've heard from some of them regarding who he has called or what he has decided occasionally.

Would Mormons really do something like that?

I know the Baptist would promptly fire the Pastor and then try to ensure he had such a black mark on him through the grapevine no one would ever even look his way as a pastor again!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 11:24PM

The bishop is welcome to my ex wife.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 05, 2017 11:57PM

No.

But that's why we don't hammer our son about the fake church, because DIL's father (former bishop) would tell her to do just that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2017 11:58PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 12:14AM

Joseph Smith got enough people thinking he was a prophet that the husbands didn't raise a stink (after they got home) when he took their wife, and the poor wives accepted it as the "will of God."

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 12:44AM

Hell no. Most bishops would have had a problem with the fact I married a Catholic....but not the dear sweet man who married us.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 01:20AM

Well, if you had asked me that 20 years ago, I might have considered it. But I wouldn't have done it unless I received personal revelation to do it.

And the problem with seeking revelation, is that God didn't talk to me. Not about the B of M, not about the church, not about who I wanted to marry. I prayed a LOT. But I didn't get answers. It really bothered me, but in the end, it was my ticket to freedom.

Due to lack of evidence and answers to prayers, now I'm atheist. And I have a different perspective on a God who tells you who to marry, who to divorce, how many kids to have, etc. My perspective is that it's just bullshit. Even if there WAS a God, it wouldn't be his right to tell ME who to live my life with, and how many kids to have. Those decisions are rightfully mine.

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 03:28AM

You'd see me, toilet brush in hand, scrubbing TSCC's smelly toilets before you'd see me leave my husband because some male bimbo with penis authority asked me to!

I wouldn't put it past some jack-azz bishop out there trying that number, though...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 09:06AM

I wouldn't do anything a mormon bishop told me to do.

My TBM mother did, though...the bishop told her that she either had to "re-convert" my completely inactive dad, or divorce him and find a worthy priesthood holder to marry. He told her he had no intention of going back to the church, so she divorced him like the bishop told her to.

So ridiculous.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 09:18AM

After years do you think she would admit regret? I am sure it added to your shelf if it wasn't already shattered...

Gatorman
9-4
24-7
11-2

Date: March 06, 2017 09:51AM

gatorman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After years do you think she would admit regret? I
> am sure it added to your shelf if it wasn't
> already shattered...

It did add to my shelf. Big time.

She came close to admitting some regret at his "funeral" (at his wish, I did a small family gathering at his favorite hunting spot outside Parowan, and we just shared a few favorite stories about him). But she had to tinge it with mormonism. She said she wished things had turned out differently...then added that obviously it was "god's plan" that they not do so.

That's about as close as she'll ever come, I think. :(

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 09:27AM

It happened to me Hie, and I'm quite certain that it's the reason that tens of thousands of non-believing spouses are scared shite-less to admit their unbelief to said spouses due to the reality of this practice. I know of several where I work that are in this situation.

I think a documentary on how the church destroys family's in this manner would be eye opening as to the church being "family" oriented.

Date: March 06, 2017 09:52AM

AmIDarkNow? Wrote:
> It happened to me Hie...

I'm so sorry. So insane, isn't it?

> I think a documentary on how the church destroys
> family's in this manner would be eye opening as to
> the church being "family" oriented.

I agree. I'm sure we could find thousands in the same boat!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 09:33AM

Anybody who would leave their spouse because somebody else told them to do so doesn't really have a spouse, so they might as well.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 09:55AM

I'm still married to my gay husband. Does that count?

I don't want to be married to anyone. I don't count myself as married. I am in a long-term relationship with my boyfriend and I don't want to marry him either.

My sister who is sort of TBM, she wouldn't do it.

My mother would not have done it or my dad.

I can't see most of my neighbors doing it. Most of them are quite happy in their TBM marriages.

Now my aunt. Maybe. A few friends. Maybe. My aunt would because they are so TBM it is vomit inducing, but also because she has the biggest asshole for a husband. She has to be one of those who hopes time and all eternity isn't for real. A few friends aren't so terribly happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2017 09:56AM by cl2.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 11:23AM

This is not really as hypothetical as it seems.

Bishops all across the church are doing it.

Leave inactive spouses. Marry a new active spouse.

There is the big push to get married. Some bishops assign spouses. My brother was "assigned " his wife when they both were over 25 and never married.

Divorced members are assigned to form new families.

All through the Spirit of Discernment of course.

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 01:30PM

Highly unlikely good mormons who know that the handbook tells bishops NOT to tell people who to marry or whether to get a divorce, would do it.

And frankly, bishops are too low on the ladder for most members to just do what they tell them to do. If they weren't there'd be more HT/VTing completed.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 01:58PM

I got tired of Mormons constantly setting me up with the same men, over and over. They would tell me that I owed it to my children to get married. I had to have "the Priesthood in my home"

I think it's way over the boundaries, for a religion to interfere into a person's marital status.

My husband was a jerk, and I wish our bishop had told me about the group of men, in the Gospel Doctrines class, who cheated on their wives, bragged about it, and covered up for each other, saying there was a "meeting," or they were "playing golf," or "helping someone move", etc. All of my wards were "good old boy's" clubs, and even condoned spousal abuse. None of them would advise a man's wife to leave him.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 02:19PM

My wife went inactive because she had a severe panic attack anytime we pulled in the the church parking lot. It was too much for her to deal with, was causing her a great deal of pain and it wasn't worth her sanity to try and pressure her to go. I supported her decision to stop coming, because I knew how much pain it was causing her.

Soon, it became clear that my wife wasn't going back to church. Beyond the panic attacks, she didn't really believe in organized religion at the time, she was already started on her path to agnosticism. Church members, and even my parents to some extent, all started questioning my marriage. There were subtle hints that I could "trade up" and get a molly-mormon, which I never wanted.

After a while, I realized that it was never going to stop. The bishop never formally told me to leave her, but there was a lot of suggestions going on. I felt like my marriage was more important than my activity in the ward and I went inactive too. To my wife's credit, she didn't push for this and always supported me as best she could. We each respected each other to allow each of us to have different beliefs, it wasn't always easy, but our marriage survived.

I've always been proud that I didn't let the church break up my marriage. More so even after I came to know the truth about the church.

Posted by: northaltexmormon ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 02:25PM

It happened to me with my common law spouse. It really sucked, but I think in the end it's for the best. It finally convinced me to resign.

I've been reading over all these responses where it happened. Anyone else catching that it's the Bishops/whoever telling women that they need to leave their spouses?

I mean... Priesthood holders are already in, right? You need to latch onto one if you're a woman if you want to get in. That would be a mighty big pressure point for a Bishop to use. Extremely manipulative and underhanded.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 03:09PM

Similar but different story from the 80s

I felt tremendous pressure from both members of the BP and the ultra-pious YM Prez Blowhard to stay clear of my Dad. Looking back, I now realize that they were fishing for info about the Goops and my home life. They began to interview me more often than usual. A lot of the questions pertained to my father's temper and how often he hit me. Well, Dad neither hit me nor spanked me. Mom was the authoritarian whipper of the family. I had just started playing HS football and they could see bruises on my arms (I always wore short sleeve shirts). They kept trying to insinuate that Dad was physically abusing me. I think this was a ploy to encourage Mom to divorce Dad or at least separate from him. All of these extra interviews led to additional problems at home.

My Dad had become too argumentative in gospel doctrine (with another set of members that had good heads on their shoulders that were daring to ask tough questions about the church and their whitewashed history). The group was initially socializing in the foyer, but they were given an ultimatum to conform [and go to SS] or leave. So my Dad became inactive and there was fear from the leaders that I would sympathize and stop attending as well.

My Dad accused not one, but both counselors of the BP making passes at my Mom. Dad had good reason to believe that they were lusting after her. I saw them hugging Mom on several occasions while waiting outside. He hugged her going in and he hugged her again after the interview. IT LOOKED BAD! My parents had many fights over this. Dad accused her of loving the church over him and she of course, called him a jealous fool.

To this day, I believe the church was trying to manipulate my mother to leave my "apostate" father.

I think they went to marriage counseling through the church. Eventually, Dad began attending again. What helped was the selection of a decent guy as BP and the awful YM prez moved away.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 06, 2017 03:30PM

themaster Wrote:
> I know it sounds weird but do you have or did you
> have enough faith that if or when the Bishop tells
> you God wants you to leave your spouse and go be
> with another person, would you?
>
> Multiple legal spouses may soon be on the horizon.
> The day may be coming g where the church wants
> spouses to leave their less active spouses or non
> member spouses for an active spouse. Several wives
> for every man. This may soon be happening.
>
> Would you?
I was out before I was with my wife, but no, I never had that kind of faith in LDS Inc. to have left a significant other because of what a bishop said. I probably wouldn't have broken it off with a "girlfriend" in seventh grade, when the relationship existed in name only and meant absolutely nothing, on the advice or direction of a bishop.

My older brother dated a nonmember his senior year of high school and was advised by our bishop to break it off. When he told my parents, they said as long as my brother was following church standards, it was none of the bishop's business who he dated. I would amend that to say it was none of the bishop's business whether or not my brother was adhering to church standards.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.