Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: balaamsass ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:01AM

This happened a little while ago but I have been all over and forgot to put it up. Our Ward got told we are now going to have assigned families for chapel cleaning when it is our "turn" to have the building. I guess this is happening more and more based on catching up with the board here. This is a nice Ward of good folks, it ain't right.......does anyone think SLC will come to their senses and give in on this or will they bitter end it. While I have dropped by to help out for a while, especially if its fun people, I will be (choose the expression.....) if I go as the result of an assignment, esp. through my doofus EQ Pres.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:14AM

balaamsass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...does anyone think SLC will come to their senses and give in on this or will they bitter end it.

I think it depends on whether or not church members are willing to stand up for themselves. Traditionally, this has not been a strong suit of the membership. If enough people fail to show up, the church might eventually be forced to bring back the cleaners if only to protect their investment (and we know how they feel about their investments.)

I see the opposite happening. Bishops will get more punitive about this, and once the church sees that it can really get away with it, they'll come up with an even more absurd demand on the membership.

Posted by: balaams ass ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:28AM

Good point.....there are a number of Jacks they have no leverage over,like me but if it becomes a TR issue it will work. Not to mention the fact that a good number of folks work for ward or stake leaders. I am a total weenie....if my SP boss told me to come I would.......times is hard!

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:14PM

balaams ass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but if it becomes a
> TR issue it will work.

That's what I was thinking, tie it to a TR and then members will accept the assignment even though they accept it through guilt and manipulation.

The Law of Consecration: You and each of you covenant and promise before God, angels, and these witnesses at this altar, that you do accept the Law of Consecration as contained in the Doctrine and Covenants, in that you do consecrate yourselves, your _time_, talents, and everything with which the Lord has blessed you, or with which he may bless you, to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for the building up of the Kingdom of God on the earth and for the establishment of Zion.

And they'll stress the word TIME!

Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 08:06AM

i just wonder are they not all going wth.....tssc is spending billions on a friggen mall but cant afford to pay for the cleaning of the toilets.

it still blows my mind how much money they are putting into that friggen place....its totally and complety insane

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:25PM

Posted by: NoToJoe ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 08:43AM

Watch to see if the program shrinks or expands.

Members could be asked to:
Mow the lawn.
Shovel the snow.

Other paid jobs could be replaced with volunteers:
COB janitors
Temple square landscaping
Deseret book cashiers
COB cafeteria workers

And finally Deseret News staff reporters could be replaced by the Relief Society Newsletter writers. And Nadine Wimmer at KSL could be replaced by any prozac popping Primary President with a fake smile that never goes away even when discussing earth quakes and nuclear meltdowns.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 08:44AM

People might tolerate cleaning the building for a short period of time, but nobody is going to do a job that others were paid to do. Moreover, nobody has the expertise to do it correctly, unless they are in that business.

Nobody minds taking a turn cleaning the building, but there is no way leaders are going to do more than a one time go around. Then, once they remove themselves off the list, more and more will do the same. With all the non-leaders being run out of the church for this reason or that-whose going to be left to do it?

Nobody is going to be willing to clean the buildings week after week and while some rare places might have such a person, the vast majority won't, so we can expect the usual screaming from the pulpits, both local and SLC. And then letter and threats.

I don't expect this to change short of a revealation....at least not until the church wises up and recognizes it costs them more money in building repair and lost attendance (because the buildings are filthy) than it does to just pay janitors to clean.

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:22AM

I doubt if they will change. They have been assigning snow removal for years in my Stake with no complaints. I see this just going on and on. They are already expanding the idea so that lots of other jobs are becoming volunteer such as working at DI, temple landscaping etc. The members just bow their heads and say yes. (But grumble in private.)

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:30AM

How soon are converts introduced to the blessings of meeting house cleaning...?

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:31AM

For about 10 years now our Stake has had signup sheets to clean. When that failed it turned into assigned weekends for the families.

Also, it was the EldersQuorum job to shovel the snow before church and after any storm during the week so the building would be accessible.

I'm kinda surprised that it is just catching on in many places.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:44AM

I see this as a carrot on a stick assignment in Mo Valley. The Mo post's the names in the ward newsletter of who
is responsible to clean the head this month. There is a ward calling for a wagon master of this cleanup crew and they call
and call and email everyone. What I see around here is that most of the rabid Mo's eat this sh*t up. They thrive on being there first to get the big vacuum. I have had them boast to me about what an honor.
I'm not seeing dislike for the job, these folks love this crap and are willing to take on more. In my opinion they have nothing else to do in their little mormon box of life.
There only friends are Mo and all they think is Mo and all their time and money goes to the Mo. The Mo owns you.

Not me - I refused from the get go.

They have MO life!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:20PM

I think I read on postmo a few weeks ago that a bishop had made doing the cleaning assignments a question on the TR interview. Don't know if it will become practice.

AND the local building--in the winter, it was always a safe place to walk because they kept their sidewalks clean up until about 5 or 6 years ago--now, depending on the weather, the sidewalks are usually snowpacked. I've fallen many times when there was just a skiff of snow on their sidewalks (I used to walk there regularly).

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:24PM

I'm just waiting for the lawsuit that proves pathogens from the filthy burlap booger covered walls caused a hospital visit for an immune impaired child who came to the dirty Mormon Church... umm chapel!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.