Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 07:54PM

On Friday somebody broke into the Selsdon Chapel ( Croydon) UK. The person broke through the entrance doors with a paving stone and then went on a rampage. Apparently they attacked all the pictures in the chapel corridor but left alone the chapel space itself. The person cut themselves entering the building, as attested by a blood trail, but paid particular attention to the images of Joseph Smith and BoM pictures attacking them all with a knife or similar implement. Members say it is being treated as a hate crime by the police, however the Bishopric is busy looking at their membership and HT records to see who might have done it.

Perhaps for some this is a natural reaction to the fraud of mormonism, it may of course be long term exposure or otherwise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cctv ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 08:32PM

There's no excuse. The offender(s) have harmed a bunch of people already harmed and brainwashed to accept that evil is after them.

Whatever the offender(s) motives and intent, it is a hate crime, because (s)he/they went after an entire religious group. I hope the community rallies to support repairs, in kindred spirit against hate.

I have no respect for LDS corp, but this was plain wrong.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 05:07AM

cctv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I hope the community
> rallies to support repairs, in kindred spirit
> against hate.

I am not local to the area, but I am willing to replace the damaged images of JS with some new pictures of JS*, if they would like.

*may include wives

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 09:02PM

I was busy that night, I swear.
I've got people who can vouch for me...

Yeah, like cctv said -- wrong.
Resorting to violence and crime doesn't solve anything, and it certainly won't get anybody else out.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 05:55AM

It's a member or former member, is my guess. They knew what was sacred.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 03:40PM

Agreed

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 06:00AM

I have a pretty good alibi.

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 06:51AM

A minor update. After cutting themselves while breaking-in the person then went straight to the kitchen and used the first aid kit there.

It occurred to me that this month wouldn't be a good time for anyone to turn up for a sacrament meeting at Selsdon with a bandaged hand, also that this incident is probably a real cry of anger and despair and raises questions about who is the victim. I just hope the individual who broke in can find the peace they deserve.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 07:24AM

One of the chapels where I lived on the east coast had a fire that started with the stage curtains being set on fire. My first reaction was "bishop's kid."

Usually beak-ins are about stealing stuff. For example, the stake center I used to attend had the audio equipment ripped out of the chapel. But trashing a place is about anger.

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 09:36AM

This is for the Library, if it was also harmed.

http://mit.irr.org/changes-latter-day-scripture

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 01:37PM

Imagine having a wife you love who is going to divorce you because of your Korihor feelings on religion and the Bishop might be a first class ass assisting/guiding the wife in her spiritual dilemma.

What else does one do when the cult is ruining their lives? I'm not suggesting this is the best way or even appropriate thing to do, but it certainly can make someone feel better for it.

If it's a member that's disgruntled, then I hope he/she doesn't get caught. :)

This is a cult, a mind control cult who's leaders are continually manipulating the members to think they need them as apostles of God and their boring sermons that generally amount to thin air and nothing tangible. |

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 01:42PM by Zeezromp.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 10:03PM

I'm glad they went after the Joseph Smith pictures and not a living person. If they are not dangerous, I too hope they get away with it. Joseph Smith is not deserving of honor.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 09:47PM

What would they want to steal from it?

A Brothers typewriter and Tandy 800 computer?

I guess so. My ward building was broken into in the 80s. The culprit was unsuccessful in gaining access to the clerk office so he raided the library instead. The thief made off with the prized film strip projector and two bulky cassette tape players.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.