Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 07:20PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 10:51AM

I believe the concept stems from religion in general: You have to have the trust (and mentality) of a child to buy into all that stuff.

For example, in Mark 10:15 you get the idea: "Verily I say unto you, whosoever shall not receive the Kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein."

No Grownup Thinking Allowed!

Posted by: KiNeverMo ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 10:55AM

Yes! How convenient! But then we are responsible to choose the "right" way, if we are wrong, it's all our fault and we deserve whatever we get. :/

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 10:57AM

Yep. God always gets the credit for good, never the blame for bad.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 10:59AM

1 Corinthians 13:11
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

So much for heaven.

Posted by: Gentle Gentile ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 11:24AM

The YSA here had a theme dance last month. Everyone had to dress up as their favourite storybook or Disney character.

This nevermo thinks that's strange, but they don't have a lot of variety or interesting options, do they?

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 09:04PM

That reminds me of the time my TBM ex and I went to watch the Rose Parade, and the Institute across Colorado Blvd from Pasadena City College had a Disney movie marathon. My ex-husband's roommate bought the ticket for that so we could use that parking lot, while my ex complained that they did that on a Sunday, as the parade was taking place the next morning, a Monday. The movies shown were the cartoons, as this was long before Disney started those live action remakes of those fairy tales.

I just wonder how my ex reacted if he went to the temple and saw the cash registers inside as he complained the entire time that they charged for that movie marathon.

Now if I was going to do something Disney and wanted to mess with Mormons, I'd show up as a Star Wars character or even a Marvel superhero, now that Disney owns both of those franchises.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 11:35AM

Follow the prophet, he's never wrong. Thinking on your own, reading what you want, listening to what you want, doing what you want.......not allowed in the MormonCult.

I think these things certainly keep the members like children, which is what the Doofus Leaders of the Cult have in mind. It's a lot easier to deal with children than thinking adults.

I myself, because I was not brought up in the church and was emotionally abused as a child, grew up head strong and a fighter in lots of ways. The church, even though through friends it came to be my answer to what happens after we die and how we can find happiness, was not something I let manage and boss my life. In my home I had learned to recognize bullying, and in the cult I found this in abundance and hated it.

And, when I learned good critical thinking at university, this only added to my ability to laugh at the antics of the cult.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 11:42AM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 01:03PM

Plenty more!

How about "NUTS"!

Posted by: thinking ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 09:49PM

The church is somewhat guilty as a cause of this, but its also a result of our culture and education system. If you want an interesting perspective and some great intellectual food. Give this a watch. Childhood has been extended, and it keeps being extended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wsB7ziHvs

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.