Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:17AM

Isn't it pathetic that I don't even know how to do that?

My sweetie wants me to make a big pitcher of it for him to have when he comes home from work.

I have NO idea where to begin.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:29AM

1. Go to grocery store and purchase tea.

2. Follow directions on box to make tea.

3. Pour in big pitcher, sweeten to taste, and put in fridge.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:34AM

After years of experimentation, I found Tetley's is the best for my taste. You can get it with in the larger "iced tea" pouches and bypass using so many individual tea bags.

I also have a "sun tea brewer". It's a large pitcher you can put in the sun to brew your tea.

Always put the brewed tea in a glass pitcher before putting it in the fridge. Plastic is just wrong and it tastes funny.

Just my $.02

Ron

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:55AM

Southerns and Texas grow up drinking ice tea. And it's called ice tea or just tea. Never heard any native drinker call it or spell it i-ced tea. Every restaurant in the South and Texas serves two types, sweetened and un. Sweetened tea is best sweetened while still hot, so just adding sugar to unsweetened iced will not do.

It's about 50-50. Personally, I stopped drinking sweetened in high school and have only be on un since then.

Mister Coffee makes an Iced Tea Maker that will best serve your needs and answer your questions for how to prepare.

Use loose leaf tea. Buy it by the pound. The best is any permutation of Earl Grey. Simpson and Vail is a mighty fine purveyor of tea.

http://www.svtea.com/nbspnbspEarl-Grey-Tea-Blends/products/13/

even rooibos earl grey is quite good and even WoW worthy since the rooibos allegedly does not contain caffeine and it comes from a different (non-tea) plant.

Black tea is the best. Green teas and oolongs and herbals are a waste of time and effort.

So, earl grey or eg extra aromatic or the iced tea blend which also contains some bergamot oil.

And Ron is correct that serve from a glass container is best.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:34PM

Scooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Southerns and Texas grow up drinking ice tea. And
> it's called ice tea or just tea. Never heard any
> native drinker call it or spell it i-ced tea.

With some of the accents here in the south, it can sound like "ass tea."

Posted by: koolman2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 07:11PM

It is iced tea, not ice tea. The -ed is simply not annunciated in normal speech. It's similar to saying "an" in place of "and" in spoken language because English is goofy and hard to annunciate everything and still have the language flow.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 10:56AM

The Waitress said, "We don't have Iced Tea."

DH said, "Do you have hot tea?"

"Well, yes."

DH said, "OK. Make some hot tea. Pour it over some ice. That's Iced Tea."

She said, "Um . . . I'll bring you everything and you can make it. I don't dare."

Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 11:29AM

It tells you how much water and how much ice, right on the pitcher it comes with. I think it was about $15-$20. I buy the Lipton family size ice tea bags.

There are lots of variations you can do to iced tea: Sweetened or unsweetened, lemon wedges, different tea flavors.
I like to use 2/3 regular tea and 1/3 of a different flavor like Morrocan Mint by Stash or Apple Cinnamon by Stash. I find it easier to drink unsweetened tea if it is flavored.

I used to drink diet pop all the time before I started doing tea. Someone on this board posted that his dietician told him to drink iced tea instead of soda. That's what motivated me to make the change.

Date: March 28, 2011 11:34AM

My sweetie is always asking for "sweet tea" when we go out but they never seem to have it here (Salt Lake). So, I am thinking I should make the tea fairly sweet.

How much should I make at a time? Does it keep ok for a few days or should I only make enough for a day or so?

I really am a novice with tea!

Posted by: duffy ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 11:51AM

Definitely add the sugar to the water while it is still very hot. This way the sugar will dissolve and stay disolved.

We usually make enough to fit in the big pitcher - about a half a gallon. I honestly don't know how long it stays good because if we make it, we drink it within 2 days at the most - LOL!

Some of my favorite memories of childhood were going to visit my grandmother in South Carolina and getting to see all my cousins there. My grandmother and all the aunts would spend most of the time in the kitchen, cooking for all of us. They made tea every day because everybody loved it so much. They would boil about half a gallon of water and then pour it into a large, pyrex bowl that had about a cup of sugar and a bunch of tea bags in it (about 5 or 6 tea bags I guess). Then they'd put a large dinner plate over the bowl to let the tea steep. I'd always see that green bowl with a big plate over it in the kitchen as we'd run through. They had the best ice tea in the whole wide world, partly because the sugar went in first but more importantly, becuase the water in Greenville, SC is some of the softest, sweetest tap water you'll ever taste - heavenly tea from that good water!

Date: March 28, 2011 01:43PM

Is Batman a transvestite? Who knows?

Seriously, our household goes through about three gallon pitchers a week.

I have no idea how long tea keeps. Though it will go bad if left out over night.

And pay no attention to AnonyMs.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 11:49AM

In a pinch fill a two litre empty soda bottle with water(not hot) and tea bags and leave in the sun, or in the fridge. I do not bother boiling water to make tea destined to be served cold, just add bags to a pitcher of water and put in the fridge.

Date: March 28, 2011 12:20PM

You all are the best! I think I can really do this and not make a complete and utter fool of myself. He is already amazed that I only started drinking coffee 3 years ago.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:21PM

Pour over hot water/boiling but not bubbling
and let "brew" sit.

Add ice to dilute and cool down.....then refrigerate in glass pitcher or the measuring cup.

IMO do not use Earl Grey.....any "black" tea is good.

Add honey or sugar when serving.

AND what Twinker said works toooooo. I've had to do that.

K

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:24PM

I used to make ice water but I lost the recipe.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:27PM

that Mexico lost the recipe for ice because they would put so little in the boxes when they shipped!! oy vay!!
BTW DO ADD THE SWEETENER WHEN the water/ice tea is at its warmest! and the "sun tea" is really good...so i hear!! I am lemonade man myself!! :)

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:26PM

Sun tea is the best. Get a big gallon clear glass jar with lid. Buy Lipton suntea bags. Fill jar with water, put in a few bags. Set in sun and enjoy later.

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:32PM

I use, and happen to like, Nestle's instant iced tea. It comes straight or flavored and it also comes in a decaffinated version. Just put a few spoonfulls (depending on how strong you like it) in a pitcher, add water, stir, add ice, done. Don't add the ice before dissolving the powder because it doesn't dissolve as well that way.

Posted by: SoCalNevermo ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:41PM

Sorry 'bout that. It is Lipton, not Nestle.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 12:54PM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:37PM

Date: March 28, 2011 12:53PM

Use a teabag to brew a very strong cup of hot tea.
Then, fill a glass with ice, and pour the tea over it.
Works great.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:11PM

1 part vodka
1 part tequila
1 part rum
1 part gin
1 part triple sec
1 1/2 parts sour mix
1 splash coke

Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into a shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into the glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon.

;-)

Date: March 28, 2011 06:30PM

Long Island Ice Tea!!!
put coke on top!!! stir everything BUT the coke!

Date: March 28, 2011 06:40PM

the CDC says that there is a danger of bacteria from sun tea!! surprised me too!
i used to work in Fast food Mgmnt and i remember that the tea would get REALLY nasty if not properly cared for and cleaned!!

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:49PM

5 regular size tea bags for a half gallon of water, 10 for a full gallon is what I do.

Pour half of the water, boiling, over the tea bags, let sit about 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and stir in 3/4-1 cup sugar for a gallon, about 1/3 to 1/2 for a half gallon. Then I add the other half of the water, cold this time. Put in the fridge. :)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:16PM

I love that iced tea maker from Mr Coffee, and I really love Earl Grey tea, or sometimes several bags of Bigelow's Constant Comment, which is also excellent hot.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:41PM

With suntea, those swirls you see in the tea are the bacteria. If you boil the water before you make sun tea it is better (and let it cool before sitting in the sun, otherwise it is regular tea).

Since regluare iced tea is with boiled water, that solves the problem.

Sugar syrup is also used for iced tea. Boil sugar and water and add to taste. Keep refrigerated. Solves the problem of sugar not disolving in cold tea.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:44PM

Since I don't drink, I never use the bourbon or schnapps. I either use water of fresh lemonade and I have never used both.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tailgate-sweet-tea-recipe/index.html

I also like that I end up with a concentrate that does not take up so much room in the fridge.

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 03:50PM

...better than Lipton's Tea. No matter what kind of tea you want, hot or iced,( grammatically it is iced). Forhot tea boiling water. Two reasons why you can't generally get a good cup of tea in restaurants in the US. Some tearooms are the exception.

Posted by: Drunk Sailor ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:54PM

Boil water in a medium to large sized saucepan, with tea bags (experiment with different teas). Leave enough room so that it doesn't boil over but you want it almost full.

As it just starts to boil shut off the heat and remove the pan from the burner.

put some water (not much) in a gallon pitcher, with 3/4 cup sugar.

Pour hot tea without bags in on top of this. Take a spoon adn push teh bags into the side of the pan, to get teh last of the tea out and keep them out of the pitcher as you pour the pan in.

Stir quickly to dissolve sugar, then add ice to fill the pitcher and dilute (and cool) the tea.

Thats how we do it in Dixie

Try it once or twice ane change the amount of sugar or teabags, I would normally use four tea bags.

I'm from Fort Walton beach Florida and I approved this message.

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:02PM

Placing tea in the sun in order to steep it is a REALLY good way of growing a vat of bacteria.

Date: March 28, 2011 06:24PM

Nobody ever got sick from it, not ever.
Do you really think bacteria grows that quickly from TEA LEAVES?
Nah.

Date: March 28, 2011 06:21PM

Posted by: Longout ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:34PM

If you see strands in it that's bacteria. Eww. This is a safe way to make it though

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/suntea.asp

Date: March 28, 2011 06:42PM

the CDC says that there is a danger of bacteria from sun tea!! surprised me too!
i used to work in Fast food Mgmnt and i remember that the tea would get REALLY nasty if not properly cared for and cleaned!!

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 07:03PM

In a 64 oz. glass Anchor Hocking glass pitcher like this: http://www.amazon.com/Glass-Pitcher-Water-Jug-Lid/dp/B000HDKI52

Pour almost-boiling water over:

-4 family-size Luzianne teabags
-2 peach or orange herbal teabags (celestial seasonings works fine)
-one handful of crushed mint leaves (if you can get 'em)

I let it steep for a good long while-- at least 20 minutes, often more.

When I remove the bags, I push them up against the side of the pitcher to squeeze out ever last bit of flavor.

Then I add 1 and 1/4 cup of sugar (or Splenda, which is blasphemy to some, but necessary for others).

I let it cool off and then either refrigerate it, or pour it directly into glasses filled to the top with ice.

I make it very strong and that way you can use a lot of ice but not lose any of the flavor.

The glass pitcher is a necessity (though not that particular kind/brand) because if you make it in plastic, your tea will taste like plastic and your pitcher will taste like stale tea (if it survives the brewing process).

The fruit-flavored tea isn't necessary, but I find that my visitors rave over it the most.

And there's angsty's brew from the mountains of Northeast Tennessee.

Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 07:05PM

you have made me super-thirsty and I will brew myself a pitcher. :0)

Date: March 28, 2011 08:14PM

but alas, Tennessee is a poser state,

so any recommendation is negated.

but, it is definitely within the realm of tea.

Thanks for playing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.