Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 08:22PM

I had a boyfriend while there, whose family lived in S.L.C.
His mother was a widow, and she was scared to death that I would want to get married to her son before he went on a mission.

She took me aside one day, to see what my plans were. Boy, was she one relieved mother to discover that I wasn't ready or interested in getting married yet.

The good part was, my boy-friend's mother's family was from England, and one of the things she cooked best was "Yorkshire Pudding".

Every have any "real" (British) Y.P? She taught me how to make it, and it is now a family favorite from me, down to my children. But you gotta knew the "secrets".

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 08:52PM

Flour, eggs, milk, olive oil?

(Careful, polly: I'm trolling you for the recipe...)

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 09:32PM

Olive oil? Rendered beef tallow, Bro!

Posted by: britintexas ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 09:19PM

I am British and can't make a Yorkshire to save my life. Mine go as flat as pancakes.
How ever my American husband can make them perfect.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 09:33PM

Sift the flour, use a very hot oven, puncture the pudding once it's out to release the steam.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 09:21PM

I've had the real thing, but I really don't see the attraction. Not my thing. But I know they are an art form.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 09:32PM

I didn't go to BYU but was thiiiiis close to going. Went to USU instead. But the few times I visited friends at BYU I "learned" how much I would've hated it there.

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 11:17PM

Yes, do them regularly. Flour, egg, milk, water and the all important pinch of salt.
Beat mixture well and leave to stand for a while.
Heat the fat or oil in the tray until it's steaming then pour the mixture in and cook in the top of a very hot oven until risen and brown. Yummy!

PS. This is a reply to the OP regarding Yorkshire puddings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 11:20PM by yorkie.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 06:13PM

My 'adapted' Yorkshire P. is similar to "yorkie's". However, there are some changes. I use some WW (whole wheat) baking flour with all-white flour (but the kids howl about the WW when I use it, as this sharply effects ones constitution).

As I usually have family over when I cook it, I have "doubled" my recipe, and have had to use 2 glass pans in which to cook it (one oblong, and one square).

The "secret", if there is one, is strictly using glass pans (so the pudding can climb up the sides).

And, as I don't cook beef roasts anymore, I use beef bullion cubs (1 or 2) for the beef flavor. But--these aren't needed to be able to enjoy the pudding without the beef flavor. (Besides, who can afford a big beef roast anymore? -- or even want to eat one.)

As you can imagine, each person follows his or her own adaptions. But, mine isn't patented, so help your self---.
And, good luck, as ovens vary, as does the kind of flour one uses (I don't bother with any sifting), and even where one lives (in the mountains, or in a valley, etc., has an effect).

There are a lot of things that can "make or break" how your Y.P. turns out, so I wish you good luck!

Here goes:
. 6 Tablespoons olive oil
. 4 eggs (lightly scrambled)
. 2 cups milk
. 1 tsp. salt
. 1 half cup WW, plus 1/4 cup (which equals 3/4 cup whole wheat cups of flour), plus
. 1 and 1/4 cup of white flour

This mix of WW and white flour is important, as few people's constitution can stand 100% WW!) But, if you want to adjust this "healthy" mix for all white flour, be my guest. Just take note that WW flour absorbs more liquid than does white flour, so adjustments in the amount of liquid used needs to be made if the above ingredients listed are changed.

. Pour the prepared batter into preheated glass pans which have been "oiled" by melted butter, making sure the butter greases the sides of the pans so the batter will "climb" (puff-up). For my recipe, this takes one oblong glass pan, plus one square one.

Cook in a (425 degree) preheated oven (necessary in order for the pudding to rise on the sides), for some 23-25 minutes. (Be careful not to over-cook.) Cut into fairly generous squares (3"?) while still warm.

There are a lot of variables here, so all I can do is wish you good luck! And, I hope you have a printer so you can copy all of this information.

Polly :)

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 06:35PM

I go to one prime rip restaurant for it a couple of times a year.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:05PM

in 4 links to pics ~

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:07PM

Why do they call it pudding ?
To me it looks like a scone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.