Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: amandarfarrell ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:27AM

My husband is writing a series of posts about stories from his mission for my blog about unpacking Mormonism. Here's the first:

http://www.unpackingmormonism.com/2017/03/mission-stories-i-left-out-of-my.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blakballoon ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 04:09AM

Thanks, an interesting story. I'm looking forward to some more mission tales.
It's amazing now, as I look back at my mission, at what I considered perfectly acceptable behaviour from mission presidents and visiting authorities. Parts of my journals are horrifying to me now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 05:40AM

"Ceviche was a tool of control wielded by my mission president. It was how he rewarded the missionaries who had earned his favor, and punished those who had not. The food safety explanation was a front, a lie."

Mormons, and especially Mormon missionaries, are treated like children. The MP could have sent around a memo stating that ceviche, for health safety reasons, should best only be eaten at high-quality restaurants such as Restaurant A, B, or C. That would have covered some essential information that a new arrival would need in-country. But no, it must be banned altogether, like you might ban a food for a young child. Ridiculous!

And yes, the Mormon church authorities use church rules as tools of control. You don't follow the WoW, wear your church approved underwear, or fulfil your callings? No temple recommend for you. You openly question church authorities? They will see you at a "court of love."

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 11:24AM

I see it likely this is how rules against eating pork and shellfish in some religions arose. Somebody ate something, got sick...rather than figure out why they got sick, the stuff is simply banned because "god says so."

Or the mission president says so. :)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:00PM

My husband is from Peru and we read the link. He said that Ceviche has been eaten in Peru for years and the only time that anyone got sick was because the fish had been laying around for too long. He said that the mission president used Ceviche as a tool to maintain control and power, because Ceviche when prepared properly, is very delicious. He said the best fish is Corvina (white sea bass). The Ceviche evolved from the Catholic faith based on Easter time when they don't believe in eating anything but fish during that week because Jesus ate fish, so Ceviche has a Christian faith-based symbolism. Ceviche is in high demand especially during lunch time in Peru.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.