Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 01:52PM

Yesterday I noticed two mishies parking their bikes at the end of a row of townhouses I was passing.

Since they were at the end of the neighborhood's first row, I wondered if they were going to tract door-to-door, or if they were headed somewhere in particular, so on the spur of the moment I looped around and parked in a visitors spot across a grassy "square" from which I could see.

They just stood around for a minute or two, but then ambled very slowly past the first two units before stopping in front of the third, where they waited a bit longer. Anyway, it was clear they weren't going to knock on each door, so perhaps they were awaiting an appointed time to meet with someone.

After a while they started up the steps toward the front door, and--reminded of posts here where people talk about seeing the mishies outside and battening down the hatches--I wondered how long they'd been milling around. Too late to know, of course, but I noted the time because I wondered how long their encounter might last (at least if they didn't go inside).

A few moments later the door opened, and they were greeted by a hipster-ish looking guy, mainly denoted by his thick scruffy beard, who was holding a baby. Obviously, I couldn't hear, and couldn't really tell by body language if it was a friendly visit. There were some smiles and handshakes.

I wondered: potential convert? Wayward husband? Less active family? Before I knew it, there were a couple of kids at his feet, so I started to suspect it's a family that's drifting away (most young couples around metro DC are not having kids that early/fast).

The mishies were trying to sort of engage the kids (high fives, etc), but dad kept shooing them back inside. And he slowly but steadily moved towards the porch and drew the door closer to closed behind him (not necessarily negative--it was chilly out--but he clearly wasn't inviting them in).

At about the two-minute mark there were some dramatic handshakes, so I thought the encounter was over, but then they talked for another minute. One mishie stepped back a bit, and the other gesticulated a lot more, perhaps bearing testimony or entreating the guy to read his BoM (?). Just after the three minute mark, more dramatic handshakes, waves, and the door closed.

Seemed like a "friendly" visit but the guy clearly didn't engage or invite them in.

While they made their way back to their bikes, I backed out of my parking spot and started around the square to continue my drive home. Apparently a light had just changed, and I had to wait for several cars to pass before I could pull out. I noticed the mishies dramatically wave at each as it passed, and they did the same to me as I passed (so, obviously not people they know).

As I mentioned above, I've read countless posts about people noticing the mishies coming before they knock, so I wonder if it's part of their routine: perhaps if people don't want to be visited, it's even easier on the mishies themselves if no one comes to the door rather than catch a family off guard at home, hence all the foot dragging outside (?).

Anyway, I see the mishies out and about from time to time, but I've never seen them at someone's front door, so I thought I'd take advantage of the opportunity to observe for a minute.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 02:22PM

Missionaries ask the wife if they can come back when the man of the house is home, he politely tells them they are not interested. This must have happened to me 100 times when I was a missionary.

A couple of times these were actually some of my favorite interactions. One guy stood outside in a blizzard with us and asked about all the bizarre things he had heard about Mormons, he couldn't believe they were true.

Another time a guy with a very good voice went and got his father and we all sang "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" All shook hands and they wished us well.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:19PM

For about nine years now I have only had mormon mishies come by once. Sister missionaries who left a calling card rather like a postcard saying they were sorry they had missed me and I could call them.

What a bummer it must me to be a mishie who has to knock on doors 24/7 where they most likely get no answer most of the time due to everyone working. Or, maybe this rejection is easier than holding a meet&greet outside, etc?

These amazing young men and women, indoctrinated up to their eyeballs, do not deserve to be hoodwinked into this racket. Let the 15 and other elites get out there and share what they say over and over must be shared. They are older, more experienced in life and in the gospel, and have a lot of tricks up their sleeves. Go for it Monson and Team!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:42PM

presleynfactsrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What a bummer it must me to be a mishie who has to
> knock on doors 24/7 where they most likely get no
> answer most of the time due to everyone working.

When I was a mishie, daytime contacting was *the best.*
Yeah, there were lots of "nobody home" when tracting.
But, see, the ones that were home were either unemployed, old, lonely housewives/househusbands, or students. These were just the kind of people who might be "receptive" to our message, because in some way their lives sucked! Golden contacts!

We didn't want the smart, hard-working, normal people. And they didn't want us.

:)

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:31PM

After going nearly 18 months without contact, the sister missionaries finally swung by a couple weeks ago looking for me (no surprise, but also my never-mo BIL = Big Surprise). Sister Goop actually answered the door to tell them that the men weren't around. So the sisters continued to talk outside while my lovely wife closed the front door to continue with her day. I think this visit is part of the BIG PUSH to reactivate the dead wood that is supposed to be the Grand Theme of GC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2017 03:32PM by messygoop.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 24, 2017 03:46PM

They're wasting their time being annoying when they should be in school or working at a productive job.

Posted by: not-a-smith fan ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 12:01AM

I have lived in the same home for nearly 8 years and never had a missionary visit UNTIL the day after I was released from the trauma unit of the hospital for heart failure. Walking was difficult at best and being alone, I gave my sister a key to let her self in when she checked on me so I didn't have to get up.
Naturally the door bell rang, not just one ring , but repeatedly like someone having an emergency outside. My first thought was my sister had misplaced my key,- but as I opened the door it was two missionaries..... I hated to be rude ( I am always polite to everyone)- but so breathless from dragging myself to the door I just closed it in their faces and shuffled back to bed. Later I was the one who got the severe lecture from my sister for answering the door to anyone !

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: March 25, 2017 02:06AM

Any missionary that comes to my door will get invited in for a bite and something to drink. They will pay for this by patiently sitting in my home while I tell why a 5th generation mormon left the mormon church after 5 decades.

First i'll tell them the reasons I didn't leave. You've heard them all. Then i'll ask them why, if it wasn't any of those, why do they think i'd leave after 50 years. What would cause that?

There answers will be interesting. I will then go over my reasons one by one. Starting with an abusive sp.

No elders, the church isn't perfect. The people aren't either. This story proves both.

No elders, I didn't want to break the wow. I'm an old lady. I buy any of that stuff anytime I want. It has nothing to do with church or God.

No Elders, Stan wasn't in the room. You see, if he's as smart as mormons SAY he is, he's been vacationing in the Cook Islands or somewhere fab. He doesn't have to mind God. That would be Gods problem. So no, not controlled by vacation Stan.

No elders, no amount of reading/starving/ praying/paying, and then doing it all over again is going to solve anything.

Have a nice day elders. but i'm sorry, we have no use for you here. If you want to know more, i'l l put somethings together for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2017 02:21AM by janis.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.