Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:40PM

I dont like this. I don't like this at all. I ran from Gilbert Arizona when they were building that temple but I'm not running this time no sir. I'm doing way better this time around just not sure how I can fight this as a one man army but my counselor said half of Pocatello is non-mormon so how did they just walk on us on this issue if non-Mormon community knew what the hell went on in the building I bet there would be opposition or laughter one or the other but it's not a joke to me the reality of this is setting in not sure what I'm going to do they cant just do whatever they want.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:43PM

Well I dont think its worth your time to try and stop LDS people from building temples/buildings, especially in idaho.

Their temple doesnt hurt you if you dont let it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:48PM

I think they had to modify one or two temples, but overall fighting them does little to change their plans.

Mormons spend huge $$$ on lawyers who don't give up. If a community goes against them,the lawyers know how to fight back and get their way. Often, temples don't fit the setting or the neighborhood and neighbors hate the traffic problems and overblown appearance but such is life, I guess.

Date: April 04, 2017 03:14PM

I knew there had to be huge money spent on lawyers for them to steamroll through everybody but half the community definitely will not like it once it's built I can promise you that normal churches get vandalized here pretty often.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 02:55PM

Since you're no longer one of them, I concur with nonsequiter.

Live your life your way.

There's other religions in Pocatello. And I'm pretty sure there are secular people, given the university environment there of ISU.

Maybe you're still so new at being out of the cult, you haven't had time to stop letting these issues get to you. The longer you've been out, the less things like Mormon temples and chapels in your community will have bearing on how you feel about it all. You just need distance and time away.

Time is on your side. As for distance, well you're in process of figuring that out. :)

Give yourself space, the Mormons that will be using that temple keep in perspective - will be fewer and further between as more intelligent, thoughtful LDS figure out they've been hoodwinked.

Someday it will be like one of those big box stores that went out of business. Wonder what will happen to these 'temples' when that happens?

Where I live old defunct church houses are turned into apartment buildings and condos, to preserve the historical value of the building, while providing a utilitarian benefit to the community (and property owners.)

Mormonism is past its prime ie, zenith. That reality hasn't penetrated the old codgers of Temple Square yet, so until they die off expect more of these buildings to continue cropping up. They don't want to go out without a bang.

:)

Date: April 04, 2017 04:28PM

Well I thought it was past it's prime too until they announced a temple at my front door.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 03:03PM

I'm glad I live far away from any Mormon temples. I wouldn't want to see them as a reminder. But after a while you will get used to it being there, and it will be like any church that you pass by. It's likely that it won't be used that much, anyway. The church is losing a lot of their temple-going members, and many of the few converts they get are not the type that will get recommends, or will get the recommend and go only once. Go on with life as usual, and don't let it worry you. Think of it as another corporate building going up.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 03:45PM

Well, don't move to my neighborhood. I don't want them building one here.

Date: April 04, 2017 04:35PM

Haha I might by accident everybody here joked that they would never build a temple here I thought I was pretty safe. Pocatello was like the reject town in Idaho.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 04:01PM

Lucky you! Economic prosperity is coming your way!! Heard that right form the top!

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 04:11PM

I drove through Cedar City recently and saw the new one they propped up. It's literally on top of the mountain where everyone, and I mean everyone will see it. I guess it's a statement of "life elevated", and "Hey don't forget the Mormons are here" lol!

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 04:22PM

Sounds like the TBM mayor is already ready and willing to pave the way for them.

As I look at this it seems to be a desparate attempt by Church Co to retain members and tithing in that area. From what I can see the population that would be closer Pocatello than any of the other options (Twin Falls or Idaho Falls) is only around 100,000. If, as you say, the pop is only half Mormon that is a group of only 50,000, then maybe half of that being active, 25,000 members, and only half of those, maybe, adults, to support running the temple. So the local Mo population is going to be busy "volunteering" and paying their tithing to keep their TR current. That is on top of toilet scrubbing and all the demands of their local ward. Short term they will feel all "blessed", but long term this is just going to run the membership into the ground.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 05:43PM

You're kidding, right? In many cities where temples are built, 99+% of the residents are not LDS. The one in Massachusetts stirred substantial opposition at the time. It eventually got built with a lower steeple.

Your chances of stopping a temple in Pocatello, which is part of the Morridor, are not low. They are zero.

Date: April 04, 2017 05:51PM

Well sh*t hopefully it blends into the background then

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 09:44PM

Hey Badass! Turn this into a fun, creative experience. Just imagine the Angel Moroni statue with a massive erection under the flowing robes! Come on, you can do it, use your imagination!

You never have to let the Morg have any power over you! The Boner's Bone.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 12:40PM

Mormons design them for show and place them where no one can ignore them. If there's a hill, it will atop of it and visitors will likely wind their way through an upscale neighborhood before they reach it. The idea is to present an affluent classy approach to set the mood for visitors who might join and who will look up to mormons.

Date: April 05, 2017 02:21PM

So true always have the look at me factor

Date: April 05, 2017 02:27PM

I really need to work on punctuation I realize I have trouble reading my own post but I was pretty mad.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 09:24PM

Open a coffe shop across the street and have this eite and others advertised on your billboard.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 09:37PM

A coffee shop is where Jesus would be more likely to show up! ;)

http://i.imgur.com/ehVn81z.jpg

Posted by: darin ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:48PM

Or a wedding party with wine!!

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 10:37PM

ALL opposed!

Once our charming local township (the good people had plans, and wanted the place to stay cool, you know) decided they didn't want Wrongaid coming in and spoiling things and so had meetings - and everywhere around town appeared bumperstickers proclaiming "RITEAID, WRONG TOWN" - and guess what? It didn't ruin and kill the town. The power is in the people (who are awake, and active, with a common goal).

Think of what you can do, and DO IT.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: April 04, 2017 11:15PM

Why open a coffee shop when you could open a strip club or a liquor store?

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 11:33AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 11:53AM

My boyfriend's home is built on the bench on the West side of Logan. He has a beautiful view of the temple. He considers it as resale value!

Now Brigham City, it sticks up like a sore thumb and looks like something from Scientology.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: April 05, 2017 12:15PM

It seems a waste of a perfectly good temple if you don't avail yourself of it by re-upping. I mean, a lot of time, effort, and money is going into that temple for your promised godhood, and you're going to just ignore it like 99% of the rest of the world?

/jk ;)

Seriously though, it does seem like the temples are a major waste of time, effort, and money.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.