Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:22PM

O.K. Here I am pondering on whether to call and/or confront the guys next time they call and/or come by.I'm contemplating what would be the best approach. Yesterday was weird and caught me off guard. It's ironic 5 mos. ago they were coming by 1 day a week and calling and leaving vm, etc. just checking to see "how you're doing" The first sunday ever as far as coming by was when they came by yesterday. Don't know if I'll be left alone, or what. I don't know if their superiors are insistant on this occuring or what. The dl's, etc. have to take "no" for an answer. ANyways I've had wonderful support from all of you as well as advice to call into the bishop. Wouldn't have any idea about how to contact anyone else. I've considered sending a letter.. Typing it up and also of course i'll have a copy. I don't know if they'll be back by, but, if so I can have a letter in file ready to send to local lds. church. That way it is documentation.I KNOW there have been people in history who committed and then backed out. It's not a rarety, i'm certain. Wouldn't a letter make more sense?????

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:23PM

You didn't even join and they won't leave you alone.

Someone will have advice for you--I'm not sure what to tell you to do.

Mormons have no boundaries.

Date: March 28, 2011 01:30PM

Ironically, after cancelling twice, and then 5 days ago(wed.) i informed them i wasn't intered in becoming of the lds faith, they're calling/coming by MORE instead of LESS. All I can figure out is they are being told to. Hopefully a letter will suffice the issue @ hand. :)

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 04:37PM

I get the impression you are stringing them along a lot more than you are letting on here. I suppose you like the attention.

My nevermo wife has never had any problems getting the Mishies to stay away - I could send her round!

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:32PM

+1

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:34PM

Insinuating that she's leading the missionaries on? I call "TROLL" on you.

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:43PM

Deb has been commenting on this board for weeks now about her experiences with the missionaries. She never seems to take any of the board's advice and she keeps repeating the same basic story.

As one other commenter noted, it's getting (bloody) boring.

And yes - I do think Deb is toying with the missionaries. If she had any intention of converting, why is she giving blow-by-blow accounts here and still seeing the missionaries time and again?

I also think that Deb is enjoying the attention of the missionaries - I think she looks forward to their visits and is playing with them to keep them coming back. As another commenter on one of her other threads pointed out, she sounds a little lonely so in that respect i don't blame her.

Posted by: Omg ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 09:47PM

I meant to add

I'm on a "Do Not Contact" now and TSCC does exactly that. If Deb really wanted to nix this whole thing she'd just tell them "please put me on a do not contact".

I think she's just enjoying this too much.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:33PM

tv station to run a story about you.

Or get to practicing with your water hose.

Or, my favorite option, contact your local chapter of Hells Angels and tell them you're being harassed.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:42PM

I just LOVE the last option and I'm ROTFLMAO big time.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:33PM

I would look in the phone book for the phone number of the Mission Office. They're the missionary bosses. Not the Bishop.

Just in a very polite and business-like manner, let them know that you have informed the missionaries that you are not interested in baptism, and yet they still keep contacting you and you'd like that to stop please.

Let them deal with their missionaries and tell them to back off.

If members begin to stop by, you can then deal with phoning the Bishop of the ward that you live in, if and when that happens.

Date: March 28, 2011 01:40PM

only 1 or 2 members who've came by w/guys even knows where i reside. certainly not. also, why the crying, sniffling, etc.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:44PM

deb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> also, why the
> crying, sniffling, etc.

Mormons are masters at emotional manipulation. They think if they show how much it hurts them, you'll cave. Cuz they wouldn't be crying and sniffling if it wasn't incredibly important, now would they? ha ha ha

Date: March 28, 2011 03:01PM

I know as a samm child, if i/we didn't get our way, we might cry. But @ this point in my life, I can't just MAKE myself cry or MAKE a tear come out, how can anyone do this?? I know i can't

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 01:34PM

Dear Bishop;
As you undoubtedly know, I have decided weeks ago that I will not join your church. I do not believe what I was taught, nor do I find comfort in trying to believe it.

Unfortunately, the Missionaries will not stop harrassing me and I am becoming alarmed at their insistence. Please tell them to leave me alone.

Please remove me from your list of persons to be taught, fellowshipped or visited. As a nonmember of your church, I have every right to be left alone by you and your people. I wish to close this relationship on cordial terms, but I do know what to do next, if needed.

sincerely,
deb

cc: Stake President

Date: March 28, 2011 02:25PM

It appears as if maybe the "pressure cooker" gets hotter and hotter and boils/cooks more. i may be wrong, there.

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:38PM

In the Church we are taught from a young age that our emotions are reliable indicators of truth. If you have strong feelings, that is what makes stuff true.
We are not taught any means of distinguishing between ordinary emotions and supernatural emotions.
Therefore, if they want to convince you of the truth, they just have to evoke strong emotions in you. It's that simple.

Posted by: Bob...not registered ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:38PM

Here is the problem:

Missionaries keep records. Even when these missionaries leave, they have a neighborhood guide about who they spoke with, what commitments were made, what stage of discussion was reached, etc. This is like a Salesforce.com. It says how far you got toward baptism.

Here is the solution:

When the missionaries come, you need to be very clear with them. You need to tell them that their records need to clearly state "do not contact." This is a formal notation for your "file" so that they will stop harrassing you.

Posted by: Bob...not registered ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:39PM

Answer the door topless....

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:48PM

Mention that you're "documenting the harassment" and getting tired of it.

If you use that term, you'll be letting him know you mean business. "Documenting" means you keep a log by jotting down the time, date, and consesquence of each trespassing/harassment event. That's in case you decide someday to threaten legal or police action. Saying the unwanted contact is four or times a week would be enough, but writing it down makes it more official.

It's usually necessary to tell mormons to stay away rather bluntly at least three times before they get it. Then they'll still probably come back in a few months to see if you've sofened.

Good luck and be strong. You seriously dodged a nasty bullet when you cancelled the baptism.

Date: March 28, 2011 02:52PM

yes, i used to have to document while as a mgr. also, had to have statements which were signed and dated by myself. The irony is if that statement is signed, dated, etc. , it can be noto, arized as well.

Date: March 28, 2011 02:54PM

another thing, they were coming by and/or calling, vm, etc. less, but, now it seems as if it's more frequently. probably just type a letter and then if it keeps up, i'll have it to send.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 04:34PM

Date: March 28, 2011 02:59PM

One quick call to the Mission Office will end the whole thing, and you can stop feeling stalked and like you've entered the Twilight Zone.

You won't be dealing with your particular missionaries. You'll be dealing with a complete stranger at the office.

Simply explain your situation, explain that you'd like the visits to stop. End with, "Thank you very much. Have a nice day," and that should do it.

Posted by: Truthseeker1986 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 04:35PM

No Joke true story this happened when I was living in South Parc Townhomes about a year ago. Missionaries always come by trying to convert people in my neighborhood there alot of refugees living there. They pound on the doors at about 7 in the morning and my neighbor had told him them not to come by they kept coming by same time every morning and he had enough. The last time they came by he awnsered the door in his most tattered stained pair of underpants and had a bottle of whiskey in his hand and hair a mess. He said good morning Elders they nervously greeted him and he said I know you are here to try to convert me again but I wanna tell you something and I hope you wont hold it against me. I know I look strait but I am really FLAAAAAAAAAAAAMING.Took two seconds for them to high tail it out of there and not come back.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 04:38PM

on the run up to her wedding to a non-mormon.

Finally, she screamed tearfully through the letter box "Go away! You're scaring me!"

Result: Peace and quiet whilst she prepared for her wedding to my lovely son-in-law. She hasn't been contacted between that date 15 years ago to her resignation date, when our entire family resigned in one notarised letter.

Turn the emotional manipulation back on them and please stay strong. Their desperation is a sure sign that they're a cult.

Hugs

Briggy

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:36PM

it doesn't look like it's working. I do like that "stained undies, bottle booze, I'm Flaaaaming" combo.

You're just gonna have to 'mean-up.'

Date: March 28, 2011 05:48PM

They appear if they do not give up too easily. i was nice, but firm when confronting them last week. (matter of fact)did my ALMOST joining make them come more as opposed to lesser??

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 07:06PM

The closer you are to baptism the more determined they become.

Once baptized, they're even less likely to let you go without a fight.

After years of paying tithes and doing their bidding they think they own you body and soul, especially if you have morg family by then.

Leaving earlier rather than later is always the better plan.

Mormons have a "stalker attitude." That means they hear "Maybe" as Yes, "Not interested" as "maybe."

"Kindly do not contact me again," is "Come back and hear this again, then return in a few weeks just in case."

You can be nice and polite, but you also need to be blunt and repetative with mormons.

Posted by: nomomohomo ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 07:41PM

Deb, I may be off base here, but as others in this thread have suggested, you seem to be stringing these people along, and it's getting a tad boring. Not trying to be rude, just honest. So, in the spirit of trying to be helpful:

First,

TELL THEM in no uncertain terms that if their harrassment does not cease immediately, you will inform the police.

Then,

STOP responding to them.

IGNORE their calls/emails/door knocks.

Finally,

MAKE GOOD YOUR THREAT.

Posted by: anonmiss ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 08:41PM

Put a cross on your front door. Mormons can't stand them.

Funny that crosses are the what Catholic Priests use to ward off the devil...

Coincidence?

Date: March 28, 2011 08:49PM

Great advice, y'all. It will be accomplished. Tks. much. btw, about the crosses. I have a beautiful piece of jewerly that is a cross. it's in a platinum setting and is gorgeous. I'll wear it as well, should be, anyways.!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: March 28, 2011 09:36PM

Not such a bad idea. Put on a nice big cross necklace and tell them you've decided to stay with your own church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.