Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 13, 2017 11:09AM

https://housely.com/20-snobbiest-cities-u-s/?utm_source=fb-snobbiestcitiesus&utm_medium=fb&utm_term=housely&utm_campaign=snobbiestcitiesus&kwp_0=339968&kwp_4=1384456&kwp_1=610602

I went through the list and what I think the cities have in common is a culture of status seeking. Snobbiness is about "I'm better than you." It's just that the measuring points of "better" vary slightly from place to place. Wealth, fame, looks, ancestry, education... and in the case of SLC, righteousness. They might not be all that high on other data points, but they're holier than thou, and thou and thou...

I think snobbishness is also linked to insecurity. If you're emotionally secure you don't worry about your place on the ladder of life. You don't measure yourself against others. You don't feel the need to exclude your "inferiors" or those who are different from yourself.

Mormonism has made a religion of status seeking and exclusivity. The one true church. The only ones with the real priesthood. The only ones with valid ordinances. The only ones going to Heaven's VIP lounge. God. Loves. Us. Best! And we're the most humble ones about our superiority.

But SLC's position on the list shows the compilers' lack of understanding. SLC is Self-effacing Central compared to Provo. ;-)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 13, 2017 01:13PM

I stopped clicking at #4, Providence, RI.

Providence--PROVIDENCE, the sinkhole of southern New England??!! They report, "Unfortunately; however, it’s also known for residents who can be a bit rude. If you’re visiting the city, keep in mind that you may not be greeted with open arms." On what basis--she drove through RI once and somebody threw the finger at her?

I think they used the same algorithms they use to compute the "Doomsday Clock."

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 13, 2017 01:36PM

Pretty funny. I see Scottsdale made the list, as well as Phoenix and a little town north of Tijuana.

What exactly is wrong with elitist snobs?

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: April 13, 2017 04:44PM

I looked through the list, until my computer decided to stop downloading the silliness (only got to number 13). I'm not sure what I expected, but I thought that perhaps the selection criteria might have included some factors that indicated that the writers understood what the word "snobby" actually means.

They may have gotten a few right, but if I go by the captions, mostly, they chose cities at random because they couldn't come up with anything real.

"Hmmm, let's put this one on the list. Now what can we say that might imply snobbery? Nothing? Oh, well, then, let's go for it anyway. Just write down anything that comes to mind...."

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 13, 2017 07:50PM

It's weird to have so many large cities on the list, since cities are diverse places. My experience of NYC was very different from that of the authors. I found most of the people there to be surprisingly down to earth and friendly. New Yorkers are often very hospitable to tourists. It's just that the city is so big, it's easy to get lost in the crowd.

I think where you find a higher degree of snobbery tends to be in smaller cities and towns where the rich are more isolated, such as Vail, Colorado, Newport, R.I., Greenwich, CT, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.