Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tombs1 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:10PM

Last semester I had an encounter with two Morg missionaries that in hindsight is downright infurerating. So here is the story...
Last semester I was taking a human sexuality course and I did not make it a secret that I used to be mormon. We talked about subjects like homosexuality and polygamy and I would put in my two cents and experiences.
So when it came time to do a group project, my groups topic was homophobia. I chose to talk about Boyd K. Packer, prop8, BYU and tell my experience of homophobia in tscc. On the day of the presentation there happened to be two strangers in the class dressed in Normal clothes. I did not think too much of it and when it was my turn to present, I asked the entire class if anyone in the room was Mormon. No one raised their hand, so I proceded with my presentation.
I showed a clip of packer giving his recent general conference talk, I said that I think he is a "world class asshole" talked about the prop8 controversy, showed pictures of the temple clothes, and of course told everyone that I used to be Mormon. I than opened the floor to any questions that anyone might have. I said that Mormons overall "can be some of the nicest people that anyone will meet but that they have some strange beliefs and unethical practices (manipulation and deciet)."
After class I had the two strangers came up to me and only said "I am Elder.. I am Elder.." I looked at both of them very stunned and said I asked if anyone was Mormon. They just said, "Sorry dude" and desappeared. I found it odd that neither one was wearing a name tag with their street clothes. Some of the girls in my class were really creeped out by that stunt they pulled and one of them even went to the campus police.
I would later find out that a person in our class was investigating Mormonism because he had a lot of family who are members. He claims that he "did not ever mention me to them and that they just happened to want to go to class with him that day." I do not believe him and it is ironic that he is obviously a homosexual. That is only half the story.
After the first encounter the kid in my class said that both of those elders "wanted to meet with me and talk with me about why I resigned from the Morg." I told him that I did not want to talk to them as nothing productive would come of it.
Did that disuade them? NO!
Weeks later I was in the library posting on this board ironaically when one sat down next to me and began reading my post. I did not say anything to him, because I still have some sypathy for morg missionaries as I know the contradictions and miserable exsistence that they live. Both of them than said that they wanted to talk to me, and I told them that I would tell them my story and answer any questions that they had with the condition of no praying or preaching.
So we went off to a quiet section of the library and sat down. I told them that it was my experience of joining the morg when I was eighteen, geting pressured to go on a mission a year later, seeing nothing but contradictions and indications that it was nothing more than a man made corporation that made me leave and resign.
The two of them said that "I lack faith" "couldnt give my girl friend son a blessing" and "will one day stand before Christ." They even had the courage to tell my teacher something to the effect of, "they respect my beliefs but I am going to hell"
I did not lose my temper with them or tell them what I really think of them and their organization because they use a passive aggressive approach with me. I even told them that "I would think about what they told me." After that I just avoided tham whenever they were on the campus.
Looking back though the whole encounter just pissed me of for a number of reasons. Both of those missionaries were very smug people. (One of them was Hawain who lots of people thought was a homosexual himself). It also made me sick to see an 18 year old kid being manipulated as I once was and convinced that "they were his friends." This whole thing just showed me how intrusive and manipulative that fucking cult really is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deb ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:18PM

That's horrible. Are they or were they intentionally @ the same place @ the smae time w/you?? How weird.

Posted by: Kablam ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:19PM

Wow that's really f*cking creepy.

Posted by: skander tea bag ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 02:26PM

I work at a University (professor) and would not tolerate anyone attending my classes and stalking my students. You should report them to your professor and your campus police. They will get a trespassing warning and will not be able to set foot on campus without getting promptly arrested.

The University is a special place. It should be the one place that you are allowed to learn, explore, question, and speak out without having big brother looking over your shoulder. If you feel intimidated by having your classmate report on you or having the missionaries attend class and follow you in the library, you should report it right away. Your professor and campus police will take it very seriously. You are paying $$$ for the educational experiences you are having. Don't let the missionaries ruin it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.