Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 07:35PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/16/major-fall-churchgoers-scotland-30-years/

<quote>

The number of people regularly attending church in Scotland has fallen by more than half in the last 30 years, according to a new survey.

The survey of Christians across the country found there are around 390,000 regular Sunday churchgoers, down from 854,000 in 1984.

The research also revealed that two fifths are over 65, prompting a warning that Christianity is “in crisis” in Scotland.

The statistics were revealed by the 2016 Scottish Church Census, published by the Brierley Consultancy.

It shows that just 7.2 per cent of the population attend church on a regular basis, compared to 17 per cent in 1984, while the number of congregations has dropped by 400.

Other key findings include the fact that 40 per cent of churchgoers and nearly 80 per cent of church leaders are male.

Dr Peter Brierley, the lead researcher, said the figures indicated a crisis, adding: “We are living in the 21st century and one of the features of the 21st century is that people's allegiance to particular faiths is no longer as strong as it used to be.
<endquote>

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: I Nephi ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 09:02PM

Gee, when I was a missionary in Scotland in the 70's you'd think church attendance was at 100%. Every door I knocked on they'd say....I'm not interested. I'm a member of the Church of Scotland.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 06:54PM

There are many beautiful churches and chapels In Scotland ,some are now offices, pubs,museums because hardly anyone under 40 ever goes to church.Why go to church when you can go to the pub and eat drink and socialize on a Sunday. many things to do in Alba except go to church

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: April 21, 2017 09:35PM

A lot of churches have closed in the USA, too. Some of the buildings have been converted to other purposes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.