Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:42AM

(Continuing a thread where it seems I got into a lot of trouble over my post regarding this subject.)

So, after all the dialogue regarding my (I thought) innocent Easter dinner mention, it turned out that my daughter served chicken, carrots, roles, and chocolate cake for desert. Much enjoyed by all.

Also, you might be interested to know that my husband was from Montpelier, Idaho, and they raise lambs there. Therefore, lamb was the usual dinner at Easter--and for many other meals as well. (Served with green jelly.)

I hope this additional information doesn't get me in any more trouble.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 05:34AM

I seem to remember lamb for Easter dinner growing up. It may have been ham on occasion as well. Nowadays, my family goes nontraditional, and we often have seafood such as grilled shrimp and linguine.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 06:09AM

"So there, harrumph." ;)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 10:03AM

And it's traditional in the states because of this, I suppose:
https://www.chowhound.com/post/ham-easter-split-home-cooking-609655

And it's an old Germanic tradition, which I didn't know:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2015/03/31/rituals-spring/RzL8F97kop8n5XaYZyjIdM/story.html

And still other peoples traditionally eat lamb and it's particularly popular in Greece.

I like a lamb cut marinated in garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil better than ham, but BF isn't too fond of the former.

It all depends on what you prefer and what traditions you choose to continue. Roasted chicken sounds pretty good, too. I love roasted chicken. We had sushi on Easter, which is probably blasphemous. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 10:06AM by Itzpapalotl.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 10:17AM

Ham was an Easter tradition when I was growing up. We raised hogs and they tasted really good. Later on I too was a hog producer and we again had a fine locally produced ham for Easter.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 10:21AM

What happened to ham? I can't find one that tastes anything close to the hams we had growing up.

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:52AM

Trader Joe's no nitrate is the best commercial ham I can find. Someday I'm getting one of those Edwards hams but their smoker burned down and they aren't selling them last time I checked. I'll save up.

I watch travel channels and dream of getting a good ham in a foreign country. I've heard friends compare US hams unfavorably to hams in their home countries.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 12:47PM

Thank you for the tip laperla, I'll look for one next time I'm at TJ's

Posted by: laperla not logged in ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 07:25PM

They are out again now.

One time I was going to Costco to buy a Martha Stewart ham, in its own gingham pouch! I heard it was good. They were giving out samples at Costco - it was average.... So I bought another ham for 1/2 the price.

I used to like Honeybaked but not so much these days.

I use the WHOLE ham. Soups.

Date: April 27, 2017 11:41AM

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 16, 2017 10:58PM
"Yo, reb: Of course I cite sources that support my point of view.

"I'm not about to cite Thomas S. Monson, Jimmy Swaggart, the Pope, Jesus H. Christ or "bona dea" (especially since she admitted in a recent thread that she doesn't know what she believes)."

P: Steve, you are mixing me up with another poster. I am not the person who said "I don't know what I believe".

I DO know what I believe---and it ain't Mormonism.

Date: April 27, 2017 12:09PM

"Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 10:21AM
Re: Ham for Easter dinner?

"What happened to ham? I can't find one that tastes anything close to the hams we had growing up."

P: I think maybe the ham industry was suffering from the times.
Lots of people now-a-days avoid what they think is not healthy to eat, and ham used to have more fat and salt in it. (Thus, now we can again eat our ham, and enjoy it without so much guilt.)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 07:03PM

As I was growing up The following:
New years day = Ham
Easter = Ham
4th of July = Barbeque
Thanksgiving = Turkey
Christmas = Turkey and ham

Tradition in our house.

Posted by: Betty G ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 07:17PM

Wasn't Ham originally made an Easter dinner sort of as a rebellion to differentiate from the Jewish traditions.

Since the Judaic traditions forbid pork and they eat Lamb, the Christians ate Ham directly showing it was different.

Or is that probably just a myth?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 07:24PM

This is the kind of thing that may be true, or may be legend. I don't care that much. An important thing to early Christians was that they were freed from the Levitical "Holiness Codes" (dietary and other restrictions) of the Old Testament. Pauls point was, "You're free to eat and drink what you want (with the exception of blood), but if it offends another believer, don't be a stumbling block in his faith walk.

We served lamb this year. We don't eat much pork for personal, not religious, reasons.

Q: What's the quietest thing in the world?
A: A lamb, walking across an Armenian's back yard, at Eastertime.

Posted by: cinda ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 07:22PM

Steve did not say it was YOU who didn't know what they believe. I suggest you read his comment again, more carefully.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:23AM

It was me and he was, as usual, misrepresenting what I said.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:14AM

If you've never had Spanish ham, let Jesus show you what you're missing....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3axai5zjRfs

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.