Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 02:53PM

Video excerpt From his new Netflix series, “Bill Nye Saves the World:”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHmtn6gAioQ

The Mormons aren't going to like this, starting with Brigham Young, who said:

"'There are multitudes of pure and holy spirits waiting to take tabernacles, now what is our duty?—To prepare tabernacles for them; to take a course that will not tend to drive those spirits into the families of the wicked, where they will be trained in wickedness, debauchery, and every species of crime. It is the duty of every righteous man and woman to prepare tabernacles for all the spirits they can' (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1954], p. 197)."

https://www.lds.org/manual/eternal-marriage-student-manual/womens-divine-roles-and-responsibilities?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 11:12AM

I remember pretty much liking all the songs on the album except for that one. Even as a young, thoroughly indoctrinated TBM, the highly caricatured lyrics and vocal style of the song seemed over the top. I just didn't observe any extreme, widespread "zero population" attitude among my non-member friends or even in the popular media of the time.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 05:43PM

Not just Mormons, but those racists who have large families because they're afraid of whites going "extinct" are going to hate this as well.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 01:23AM

Most of the population growth is in developing countries. Penalization for "extra kids" results in too many social issues (e.g. public disapproval, infanticide, skewed gender ratios) to be worthwhile. The best means of reducing our global population is to increase the availability of education and contraceptives to women.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 04:26AM

Punitive consequences for having kids causes too many unintended consequences.

It's happened in China and we don't need it here or in other developed countries like ours.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 03:41AM

Everytime i hear a handful of rocks rattling in an empty tin can like bill nye...im ashamed of science...i also wonder if the world might have been a better place if a few of their parents hadnt had one too many...as i try to think of how many people have had a truly negative effect on world history or society...surprise many of them came from very small families...big deal you say...yeah its weak i know but so is bills blathering...idiots always think its someone elses problem...you can be a smart guy and still be an idiot...the two are compatible...i mean....look at mormons...and bill...one thing i have noticed with very small families...they often are very selfish self centered types..and think the sun rises and sets on their ass...yeah theres too many people...and your right...those who can least afford more have more...take me for instance...my first mistake was listening to idiots...my second was believing they spoke for Gawd...now maybe bill can pull the trigger on all those who shouldnt be allowed to live...isnt that what hes suggesting??..or perhaps penalize those who shoot their brain off in public without thinking ...im sure the poor could use another penalty...they could pay that rather than buy groceries for their too abundant children just like tithing..doofus dum ass

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 04:34AM

His science expertise is flimsy at best and his social science background is weaker still.

Posted by: nooneimportant ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:49PM

Bill Nye majored in Mechanical Engineering, according to Cornell, where he graduated in 1977.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2001/06/janet-reno-and-bill-nye-appointed-visiting-professors

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 05:47AM

Bill reminds me of a line from "Clerks". "This job would be great if it wasn't for the f-ing customers".

People aren't the problem. A lack of quality people is the problem. The only way to get quality people is to grow them. God, I hate when the Mormons are right. Too bad they're going about it the wrong way.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 01:17PM

That was good to read, Trails End. Thank you.

Never understood the popularity of public science windbags like Nye, ND Tyson, Dawkins, etc. Their public work is obviously for children.

Anyway, loved your rant. Like this:

"...i have noticed with very small families...they often are very selfish self centered types..and think the sun rises and sets on their ass..."

Not always true, but true enough to make for a chuckle.

Thank you,

Human

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 01:43PM

Slowing birthrates in the developed world are already upon us. Nye's myopia on this is staggering.

http://www.nature.com/news/development-slow-down-population-growth-1.19415

Some of the world's poorest countries are experiencing the greatest growth, and that's a problem. Countries with greater wealth have more resources to devote to efficiency and productivity like this recent find out of UNC Chapel Hill that may pump up crop yields: https://phys.org/news/2017-03-discovery-yield-looming-phosph.html

You can make your own value judgments about the ramifications of the facts, but Muslims are the fastest growing group on the planet.

"Muslims will grow more than twice as fast as the overall world population between 2015 and 2060 and, in the second half of this century, will likely surpass Christians as the world’s largest religious group.

While the world’s population is projected to grow 32% in the coming decades, the number of Muslims is expected to increase by 70% – from 1.8 billion in 2015 to nearly 3 billion in 2060. In 2015, Muslims made up 24.1% of the global population. Forty-five years later, they are expected to make up more than three-in-ten of the world’s people (31.1%)."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/04/06/why-muslims-are-the-worlds-fastest-growing-religious-group/

For all the alarmism among some in our community about "Christofacists," it seems far more likely that Islamic rule is more likely part of a global trajectory.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.