Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DumbLawyer ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:20PM

This was the signature line from the 1976 film "Network" which won 4 academy awards, one for best actor and actress. It is listed as one of the top 10 screenplays and top 100 films of all time.

In the film, Howard Beale, the stations top anchor, is informed by the President that he has two weeks to turn around the stations sagging ratings, or he is going to be fired. The 2 friends get drunk and lament the state of their industry.

The following night, the anchor announces that he is going to commit suicide on next weeks Tuesday broadcast. He is subsequently fired, but compassionately given a chance to host a final farewell.

During his final broadcast he announces that his firing is bullshit, leans out the window from the skyscraper they are broadcasting from, and urges others across the nation to shout out their windows, "I,m as mad as hell, and I,m not going to take this anymore".

Unsurprisingly, the stations ratings skyrocket. He keeps his job and goes on to host the Howard Beale Show, top-billed as the "Mad Prophet of the Airways". There is more to the movie, but I digress.

AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT IS AS MAD AS HELL AND DOESN'T WANT TO TAKE IT ANYMORE???

WE HAVE ALL SUFFERED SO MUCH FROM BEING PART OF TSCC

Does anyone want to put truth serum in the Q15's drinks right before next general conference?

Does anyone want to circulate a petition requesting all tithing monies paid be given back?

Does anyone want take a bat to the SLC temple and dismantle it one stone at a time?

Caveat: I am not advocating violence or inciting anyone to do the same. This is about feelings:)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:39PM

My mother is afraid of me. We don't talk, but she told one of my siblings. Why should she fear me? I didn't threaten her. Could it be because I've gone public? That's the worst I can do--publicize the dirty secrets of her abuse. She considers that assault, but her beating stick was the only assault ever between us.

Date: April 18, 2017 05:45PM

Is she afraid of your disclosures of her abuse, or afraid of your beliefs surrounding TSCC?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:55PM

I don't know for sure. My parents told me nothing but lies.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 10:53AM

donbagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mother is afraid of me. We don't talk, but she
> told one of my siblings. Why should she fear me? I
> didn't threaten her. Could it be because I've gone
> public? That's the worst I can do--publicize the
> dirty secrets of her abuse. She considers that
> assault, but her beating stick was the only
> assault ever between us.

It is my experience that many of the faithful are frightened simply by the existence of non-believers.

I believe there are two main reasons for this fear.

1) The indoctrination by religious institution that teach non-believers are evil and/or people to be feared. This is done to maintain the hold these institutions have over the faithful.

2) The faithful's faith is very weak with a ton of cognitive dissonance. Non-believers, by their very existence, forces the faithful to confront the cognitive dissonance, a threat to their life long identity.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 02:28AM

My Dad was one of the sweetest-tempered, most loving people I have ever known. What he saw in my weasel-tempered mother, I never knew, but they clearly cherished each other. He died when I was 15.

This set her off on a drinking spree that ended only when she had to spend her final years in a nursing home. It must have been brutal, because she had to give up cigarettes at the same time.

Mother wasn't generally a nice person. When she drank, which was virtually every day after Dad died, she could be vicious. We had fought practically since I was old enough to talk (family legend has it that my first word was "no.")

She would come after me with a yardstick that had been varnished with so many coats that it was like being hit with a 2X4. That sucker left some serious bruises. But back then, of course, child-beating was a parent's natural right.

One time, after my father died, Mother and I got into it - seriously, tooth-and-nail. I don't remember what the fight was about, but when I saw her grab that yardstick, something just snapped.

I grabbed at the free end of it, at first, just to protect myself. Then, something far more primitive kicked in. We were about the same size by then, although she was maybe 20 pounds heavier. We twisted and yanked and even kicked at each other, both of us trying to get the yardstick away from the other. I remember thinking that if she got hold of it, she would beat me senseless.

I managed to wrench it away from her. Then, I broke the accursed thing across my knee, and handed her the pieces. I handed the pieces to her, and said, very coldly, "Don't you DARE ever raise a hand to me again."

She didn't.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 05:53PM

Don't think I was ever this angry at the Church but I came close. The only way to fight this is being a non believer. You won't change any TBM's opinions, they have to do that by themselves.

Date: April 18, 2017 06:02PM

TBM's will change when their need to know the truth outweighs the emotional investment and any risk to themselves in leaving the organization.

Date: April 18, 2017 06:07PM

How ironic that the signature line from the cult classic film, so perfectly encapsulates the feelings when leaving the cult.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 06:00PM

Just wait, the church will humiliate itself better than you ever could. The hits just keep a-comin'.

Tommy's Diet Pepsi addiction finally caught up with him. The lights are on but nobody's home. I'm hoping that Elder Bednar makes it into the first presidency, just for the entertainment value.

Date: April 18, 2017 08:50PM

Wow:

No other "Network" fans out there???

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 04:04AM

I never saw the movie in its entirety, but I am very familiar with the scene. It's a classic.

Date: April 19, 2017 08:19PM

The movie is still great - even after all these years.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 18, 2017 09:01PM

Personally, I'd say I'm mad as fuck, and I'm not going to take it anymore! But in answer to your questions, yes I originally hoped for change in Mormonism. It's survived scandals, stupid policies, and crazy members. There probably won't be a major change to it in my life time. But eventual implosion is inevitable as more of us leave and tell our stories.

Posted by: oneinbillions ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 05:09AM

I want the whole of humanity to lose their biases, take a step back and realize how ridiculous all of their religions really are. I'm serious; I get panic attacks sometimes when I think about how atheists are still a hated minority!

But I also know that it'll never happen. It would probably take many more millennia for the majority to shake the indoctrination and brainwashing, by which time we'll likely have killed ourselves off in the name of our imaginary friends. So it doesn't really matter. All that matters is that I saw through the scam and made it out alive.

Date: April 19, 2017 08:17PM

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: April 19, 2017 07:50PM

Hell yea I do, I need that tithing money back now more than ever.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 10:21AM

So when are you going to throw your television out of the second story window ?

Date: April 20, 2017 07:34PM

I live in a single story which wouldn't nearly have the same effect.

Date: April 20, 2017 07:35PM

So what should we do about it?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 10:27AM

Must have come out during my no R movies days, although those days ended long before I left the church. Oh, that must be why I left the church is because of R movies (sarcasm).

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 20, 2017 10:30AM

There's nothing fun about being mind raped.

Date: April 21, 2017 01:28PM

My friend used to say that line and I had no clue what he was talking about when he first said it I thought he was actually mad and I thought that was badass.

Date: April 21, 2017 10:20PM

Watch the movie - it should be the theme story for the exmo movement.

Date: April 21, 2017 11:15PM

Alright I actually thought my friend was starting a movement at the time haha. Its called 'network' right?

Date: April 28, 2017 10:24PM

Yes it is badass.

Date: April 29, 2017 05:46AM

I saw the movie and it's not bad it's kind of curious that nobody really talks about this movie besides my friend quoting that line.

Date: April 29, 2017 08:12PM

Posted by: PasserBy ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 07:05AM

Immadashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanymore
mmadashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanymor
madashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanymo
adashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanym
Immadashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanymore
mmadashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanymor
madashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanymo
adashellandimnotgoingtotakethisanym
dashellandimnotgoingtotakethisany
ashellandimnotgoingtotakethisan
shellandimnotgoingtotakethisa
hellandimnotgoingtotakethis
ellandimnotgoingtotakethi
llandimnotgoingtotaketh
landimnotgoingtotaket
andimnotgoingtotake
ndimnotgoingtotak
dimnotgoingtota
dashellandimnotgoingtotakethisany
ashellandimnotgoingtotakethisan
shellandimnotgoingtotakethisa
hellandimnotgoingtotakethis
ellandimnotgoingtotakethi
llandimnotgoingtotaketh
landimnotgoingtotaket
andimnotgoingtotake
ndimnotgoingtotak
dimnotgoingtota

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 02:26PM

Hell yeah I'm mad. I wish I had never heard of that stupid church. It caused me some significant personal loses. What a damn ripoff.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 02:27PM by Aquarius123.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 05:42PM

I don't know this movie that everyone's referring to, but the throwing TVs out of upper windows reminds me of another movie named "Times Square" it came out in the early 80s, has lots of good early punk songs in the soundtrack.
It's about these 2 teen girls who meet in a psych floor of a hospital , become friends and sneak out in sn ambulance.
It had Trini Alvarado in it , when she was very young. Her father was some wealthy hot shot, or something, do it was all over the news.
They end up going all over NYC,throwing TVs off of tops of buildings, screaming messsges , etc
I think Tim Curry even has them on his show, not telling anyone where they're at
They have the whole city going nuts over them, especially other teens.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.