Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 06:18PM

....playing w/nonmormon kids.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5225922-155/kirby-dont-let-your-mormon-children

This hits home for me because as of 10 yrs ago when we moved to Utah, both of my kids had to deal w/this ...which btw, helped to lead me to this site.

"My parents never told me not to play with non-Mormon kids, nor did I know any Mormons who did. Only after moving to Utah did I learn that some LDS parents actually prevent their kids from playing with non-Mormon kids."

That last sentence should be- "Only after moving to Utah did I learn that many to MOST LDS parents actually prevent their kids from playing with non-Mormon kids."

Many of my nonmo coworkers have had to, or continue to deal with this. Some nonmos left because of this behavior.

Long story short...the shunning is alive and well in Utah

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 08:21PM

I just didn't have to deal with it and my twins had the same best friend from elementary into high school. They are boy/girl twins. He is a Baptist and his family was really good to my kids. The mother mentioned that to me once, that she was surprised that I didn't ostracize her family. I had never even thought about it.

I have some nonmormon friends who had problems with this with their oldest child who was 5 at the time they lived in Utah and the neighbors wouldn't let their kids play with him. THEN when they moved back some 20 years later, they had a younger son in high school who becamse suicidal over how the mormons treated him. They put him in Catholic school.

I think things continue to get worse here in Utah.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.