Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 08:01AM

Many of you will have read my previous posts about my church life, callings, exit and exit letter. I was close to my branch president (who is now released) and still am close. We had a talk on phone for the first time in a while last week.

He has still has not really accepted that I have left, and trying to get me back (he is actually about to be called to the high council and says his first assignment will be to get me back to Church). He asked if I would come to the temple in May with him and a few others, saying it'll do me good.

When I explained I cannot make it, he tried to get a reason which I kind of swept around, then admitted I handed my temple recommend in along with my leaving letter, to the Stake President. He was shocked, he never thought I'd do that apparently.

We talked about a temple recommend. I explained it doesn't really mean anything anymore as many people I know are not so called 'worthy'. It's just a peice of paper, a symbol to show you've got your way through some interview with a jacked up businessman. A card to enable you to do busy work (and pay 10% for the privilege).

He ended the conversation with a story about a former Stake President, who asked at a Priesthood meeting once (never in Stake Conference, god forbid can't ask important questions when women are present), when is the second coming? Some said next year, three years, twenty years, etc. BS answers.

He proclaimed as far as we were concerned the second coming was tomorrow! And we must be ready at all times, staying worthy and holding a recommend.

When I was active and blinded by BS in my eyes, I loved this and used it a lot. However now, I see it as complete blackmail. Basically leaders are using scare tactics to keep us active, temple recommend holding members. And what is the only thing they care about when it comes to holding a recommend? Paying tithing!

Anyone else agree? I'm sure if the second coming ever does happen we won't be asked for our temple recommends or if worthy. If anything he'll see the state the world is in and ask for the nearest pub (or bar if he chooses to land outside Scotland...)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 08:16AM

Jesus' feet will touch down in Scotland first. I'm pretty sure of that.

Your thoughts seem pretty spot on to me. It is interesting how you see through the BS and the manipulation once you are looking from the outside in. what seemed like inspired words before, become obvious guilt and emotional control.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 10:10AM

Blackmail is the correct word. No doubt about it.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 10:12AM

"He's been gone for such a long time.
(Hey, la-di-la, my boyfriend's back.)
Now he's back and things will be fine.
You're gonna be sorry you were ever born.
'Cause he's kinda big and he's awful strong.
And he knows about your cheatin',
Now you're gonna get a beatin'."

The funny part is that they truly believe their imaginary friend is going to come and rule the Earth. For a thousand years. And they came to this conclusion without drugs.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 10:12AM

Ooh. I'm scared.

Date: May 01, 2017 10:33AM

The Second Coming is to blackmail what Meryl Streep is to acting awards. How many other blackmails could go on this long and be so effective? No expiration date. They don't send an ear in the mail just to heighten the threat. No Skype with someone threatening a sobbing Jesus with a cross or thorny crown just to make you dig up more cash. No. Just the two thousand year rumor is all it takes. They got Zip. Nada. Two thousand years. Still works like a charm.

So after another thousand years will this still be going on? At what point can it be considered that people are duping themselves? Blackmailing themselves? The brainwashing is self administered at some point. The Religiosos don't even have to work at it very hard anymore.

I felt like when I quit the church that what I actually quit was brainwashing myself. They had taught me to do it to myself in the end.

P.S. Laughing my ass off at what cludgie and Babyloncansuckit both wrote.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 10:39AM

I'm laughing my ass off at what you wrote.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2017 11:07AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 11:04AM

I'm still waiting for somebody to present evidence this "Jesus" character had a FIRST 'coming.' Let alone that he'll magically reappear.

Yeah, scare tactics. Obey, or when magic jesus comes back, you'll be left out of my imaginary glorious priesthood-holding, having sex with multiple resurrected wives, planet-managing eternity.

Remind them that not only is their imagined eternity highly implausible, you don't WANT to be part of it anyway. :)

Posted by: David A ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 11:15AM

The end of times: Any day now, right? Joseph Smith said it would happen in is day, Paul was sure it was happening in his lifetime, and Jesus himself proclaimed it was about to happen.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 12:15PM

I remember getting taught back in the 70s & 80s that we should all prepare for christ's imminent arrival - perhaps even tomorrow - and accordingly live each day as if it is our last day on earth. I remember it in family home evenings 'what would you do if jesus came back/you died tomorrow?'. It ties in nicely with their 'saturday night of time' theme they used to shove down our throats every sunday. Way to go to get everyone in a state of willing forgiveness and compliance - good mormons cannot be hard-hearted in any way, just in case. Makes me think of the 'keep sweet' motto the fundies used - read an article about that once and it was allegedly even painted on rocks along trails so there was no escape for those whom it was meant to control.

Not sure when (if) they ever gave up on drumming that concept into the brains of small children but I stopped listening around adolescence/teenage. However, I do remember (and someone else did a thread on it couple of years ago) a seminary lesson where we'd all been on a plane crash. It didn't work because we (3 or 4 of us) were adamant we would never leave our country - ever - so we claimed it would never happen, so we refused to 'play along'.

cult, cult, cult, cult.....

a wise man once said 'emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds'. We first have to realise how much our minds are controlled before we can free ourselves; but it is possible, as many here past and present can attest.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 02:56PM

My ongoing answer when queried by "religion based people" is
N O Y D B
none of your damn business

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:09PM

Do these 'Second Coming' folks ever think about the fact that as humanity slowly (ever so slowly) advances, the concept of kings and royalty is going by the wayside, yet God has a "throne" and Jesus will "rule" as the "Prince of Peace", since these concepts were created thousands of years ago?

Yet they expect the eventual Kingdom of God...

Date: May 01, 2017 03:22PM

A king! Give us a king!

(1 Samuel 8:1-22)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:37PM

What if the Second Coming went something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2c-X8HiBng

Date: May 01, 2017 03:44PM

Haha. Never thought of it like that before. "King" is so yesterday--even if you are King of Kings. Maybe stick with Lord of Lords? Nah.

How about giving Jesus or Elohim an update to Supreme Commander of the Celestial Kingdom and Chairman of the Temple Workers Party? Too much like Kim Jong Il? Not really. Kim and Elohim have a lot in common. Do what they say, or else!

Date: May 01, 2017 04:36PM

Done & Done Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about giving Jesus or Elohim an update to
> Supreme Commander of the Celestial Kingdom and
> Chairman of the Temple Workers Party? Too much
> like Kim Jong Il? Not really. Kim and Elohim
> have a lot in common. Do what they say, or else!

Well, yeah, except Kim actually does what he threatens to do...:)

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 07:57AM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
>
> Well, yeah, except Kim actually does what he
> threatens to do...:)

Apart from the threats about sinking US Navy battle groups, or sending missiles to destroy America. But he does do what he threatens to other North Koreans that he can easily reach, and that can't fight back.

Hmmmmmm... maybe that is how God is too. He really wants to punish all us sinners, but he doesn't have the weaponry.

Date: May 02, 2017 10:19AM

Darren Steers Wrote:
> Hmmmmmm... maybe that is how God is too. He
> really wants to punish all us sinners, but he
> doesn't have the weaponry.

:)

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 10:02AM

We stopped payments on our "Fire Insurance" several years ago, and the world hasn't been turned to toast yet. Maybe because God doesn't care about our man-made money, especially since it's not backed by gold to give it any value.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.