Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 05:41PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ren ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 06:13PM

I was only 10 or 11 years old at the time, living in California (incidentally, my church meetinghouse was the one Stuart Matis committed suicide at), but I remember bits and pieces of it pretty well. At the time I supported Prop 8 because I was a child and didn't know any better. Now, as an out and proud lesbian, I'm horrified by some of the comments I heard from family and friends in support of the proposition.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 06:23PM

I was in my 20's, but even had I been five, I probably wouldn't have that one on my conscience.My parents were always more liberal than that and didn't say much publicly but refused to support it in ny way.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 07:01PM

I was a kid when Prop 8 was being proposed, but still supported it back then and was opposed to the Gay-Straight Alliance in high school.
Is it normal to want to smack my own head for what an idiot I was?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 07:05PM

ookami Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it normal to want to smack my own head for what
> an idiot I was?

Yes...just about everyone feels this way about SOMETHING.

You are in good company, Honest!!!

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 07:42AM

ookami Wrote:

> Is it normal to want to smack my own head for what
> an idiot I was?

Whatever our age, when we look back we see how far we have evolved to become who we are now.
When we look to the future, we believe we will never change.
But we will change. Life is change. We keep evolving and rethinking.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 07:06PM

what I regret is that there was a vote for this and the popular vote was in favor of discrimination, but somehow the judges overturned what the people wanted. But that's the government we live in. Now we just had another vote where the left won the presidency, but because of the electoral college, the right gets the power, which I'm so relieved for. Confusing that the will of the people is overturned, but once again that's America.

Date: April 28, 2017 11:12PM

and it passed. Lynching (racist mob violence) would still deny victims the protection of the law and the presumption of innocence any such legislation would violate that principle and would be unconstitutional as well as evil and unjust.

Bans on marriage equality violate the principle of equality and equal justice.

Go back and read all the arguments. It all came down to a religious ban and there was no legitimate reason to deny same-sex couples the same privileges as hetero couples.

I like beef (which would alienate some religious Hindus) and pork (which would alienate some Jews and Muslims). Religious rules don't work in a secular democracy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 11:13PM by anybody.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 11:29AM

Great analogy. "Popular" is a very dangerous concept sometimes.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 11:29AM

poopstone Wrote:
> what I regret is that there was a vote for this
> and the popular vote was in favor of
> discrimination, but somehow the judges overturned
> what the people wanted. But that's the government
> we live in.

Yes, it is the government we live in -- one where a "popular vote" can't vote in unconstitutional laws, and one where the "tyranny of the majority" over some minority when unconstitutional is prohibited, and the role of the courts is to enforce that.

Posted by: MTJohnson ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 07:45PM

I wonder if you'd say the same thing about the draconian anti-2A laws in the Sunshine state. ;)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 12:47PM

MTJohnson Wrote:
> I wonder if you'd say the same thing about the
> draconian anti-2A laws in the Sunshine state. ;)

The "2A" says that citizens have the right to bear arms as part of a well-regulated militia.

It doesn't say citizens have a right to own assault rifles, or to bring modern handguns with them everywhere they go.

So I find your characterization of "draconian" to be a gross misrepresentation, and I disagree with your interpretation of what the "2A" says and intended. And so far, the courts (whose job it is to interpret the constitution) have largely upheld the "Sunshine state's" laws on the matter.

Posted by: En passant ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 11:57AM

Funny, Poopstone. What you regret is exactly the opposite of what I regret.

"Rights" are something you have, not something a majority gives or withholds. When people like you vote to discriminate, I'm grateful we still have judges and courts to set that straight.

Unfortunately we can't similarly reverse the Electoral College on moral degeneracy.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 11:19PM

When I was young I supported a marriage act of some kind that limited it to a man and a woman. I'm absolutely sorry for that, and I thank my brother for asking me to think of it as a civil rights issue, which it is. I can never oppose civil liberties.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 12:20PM

Luckily I was out before all that stuff came up so I have nothing to be embarrassed about. But I'm appalled that I believed the crap about blacks not being allowed to hold the priesthood. Luckily there were no blacks where I grew up, so I never actually said anything humiliating. But I did believe it with every fiber of my bean. Arrgghhh!

Date: April 29, 2017 10:10PM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 06:28PM

I had my years of hating gays and, yes, I did hate gays. I felt I had a reason. My ex had cheated on me and left me. And he wasn't kind when he left. Just because he was gay didn't give him the right to treat us as he did. He even just said yesterday how much he regretted the years he abandoned his children as his children are the most important thing to him.

Over time, I learned that, yes, he was wrong for treating us how he did, but that being gay didn't make him a bastard and that what happened to him and I had a lot to do with the lds church. They lied, they abused both of us and that extended down to our children. It was coming to this board that really helped me. I was still of the mindset that I had to respect the lds leaders. What a relief it was to finally realize that they didn't deserve my respect. In fact, they deserved to be despised for what they did to us.

My ex and I are great friends now. From the day he told me he is gay I knew deep in my heart that he was just fine the way he was, but they kept telling me otherwise. It was so freeing to finally come to that realization.

Do I regret the years I hated gays? Yes. Now I find gays to be some of my best friends. No matter what the lds church does in terms of ever accepting gays (which I believe will never happen), I could never go back over this one issue. The rest is just icing on the cake. The damage they have done to gays is unforgivable EVER. The damage society has done to gays is also unforgivable.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.