Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Smiling Dog ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 01:04PM

...Beautiful.

I predict this book to sell like hotcakes in Provo, just a dish of perfect tripe for the self deluded...

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/lifestyle/55141238-80/god-book-says-fiona.html.csp?page=1

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 01:20PM

The only truthful parts of the article were found in the first sentences...

"In recent years, Fiona and Terryl Givens have been surrounded by smart, educated young Mormons who are abandoning their faith at an alarming rate, claiming it is intellectually unsatisfying.

The LDS husband and wife from Richmond, Va., were overcome with frustration and sorrow watching the exodus."

Nice to see that the "Exodus" is openly acknowledged in the Cult. Funny to see that their answer is to feed these "smart, educated young Mormons" more cotton candy in their battle against members finding out the truth about the Corporation.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 01:42PM

So they've added some sugar and an egg and turned the 'milk' into custard. Whoop-di-dooo!

Unfortunately my family will see it as a 'marvelous work and a wonder'. I am still trying to figure out which one of the words in this phrase my family doesn't understand:

Know the truth and the truth will set you free.

They all seem straight forward to me.

Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 03:28PM

The only way the Givens' beliefs work is if people decide beautiful ideas are more important than historicity. That may work for some people, but the Mormonism's beautiful ideas have to be reworked from their original sordid setting to have any validity. I suppose you can find truth in anything if you massage it enough.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 07:48AM

***ding-ding-ding-ding***

Winning response!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 10:20AM

I was going to say if you ignore all the history and the facts, you are still left standing in the temple in weird clothes, as you chant while standing in a circle, following a session where some old guys with bad brief touched your naked body.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 04:16PM

I get all the beautiful ideas I can handle reading science fiction and fantasy. It's when you start letting fantasy intrude on reality that the real problems start.

However, I don't see what's so beautiful about the things covered in the article. It describes how beautiful it is that God could weep over the suffering of humanity, but doesn't stop to wonder why he was the one who commanded his creations to kill each other over petty crimes in the first place. It says God's attributes are mercy, gentleness, kindness and longsuffering, but he has left Heavenly Mother's attributes unknown. It doesn't say this is probably because there are a billion heavenly mothers, each one of which is at best a second-class citizen in the heavenly kingdom.

It says that part of what's so beautiful about mormonism is the concept of the eternal nature of families, but I wonder if it probes into the doctrine that God will forcibly separate any individual from his/her family that has not been sealed in a mormon temple and that is not a full believer in mormonism. There's so much vile crap laced throughout mormonism, and it takes a person with pretty big blinders to be able to only see the positive.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 06:25PM

Being lied to and manipulated is 'emotionally unsatisfying"?

Once again, the church assumes the problem is with the people, not the church.

Luminous BS is still BS...

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 09:37PM

I didn't need to know anything about the roots or the soil to know the fruit was nasty.

I left because of the doctrines and the way Mormonism malfunctioned in my life. The factual backup came much later.

I think that's the way it works for a lot of people who leave the church. I think they start digging for information because they aren't happy in the church. Because if everything is hunky-dory, there's no need to look behind the curtain.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 08:15AM

MORmONS like Teryl Givens are a PRIME reason why I decided that even if there was a celestial kingdom, I had zero interest in going there.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 10:23AM

+1

Who wants to be hanging out with these idiots, when you can be drinking martinis with Albert Einstein and Mark Twain while discussing the true mysteries of the universe, in one of the lower kingdoms.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 09:09AM

It's not gonna work.

There's just too much stuff out there in circulation now that wasn't there before and the younger people are able to search and find it on the internet easier than oldies, plus there's the word of mouth stuff that's getting passed around by friends and on tv that wasnt there before.

Southpark talking about seer stones in a hat, Book of Mormon show on Broadway....

Then there's the end result of creating people like us who are amazed that we once believed it and that others still do.

It compelled me to study it even more as an exmormon just because of the intrigue caused by the realization that the Mormon church is one of the biggest scams in humanity. It's definitely more interesting to me now trying to unravel the mess and see what trigger points and techniques the Mormon church has developed. I'll probably keep it up for a long time because its humorous and healing.

So what if we leave the church but can't leave it alone, they send missionaries out because they don't leave any other belief alone.

BTW, I loved the part in the article where eve was "courageous" for partaking of the fruit (follow the devil) its one of those Mormon ISMs that tweak with your mind, like spending your whole life trying to be good & go to the temple to learn secret handshakes & passwords to give at the veil in heaven because otherwise god won't know who you are??? Allknowing god needs you to remind him

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 10:27AM

Am I the only one who thinks they look like siblings? Kinda creepy. I guess it's true that the longer you're married the more you begin to look like your spouse.

The lead comment that those leaving are only 'claiming' that it is intellectually unsatisfying makes me laugh.....but is IS intellectually unsatisfying.

The Givens', like Joanna Brooks, try to promote their own version of Mormonism as "true Mormonism". But they are outliers, they live a Mormonism as they wish it were, not as it actually is for the majority.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 10:38AM by caedmon.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 10:32AM

Joseph Smith and Claude Vorilhon might have lived a hundred and fifty years apart but they both founded alien worshipping cults. Why would I say this? Mormon theology says that Elohim, the being that humans call "Heavenly Father" was an alien from another planet who somehow obtained godlike powers and ascended to a state of semi-non-corporeal existence. If you are a good boy, pay your tithing and do as you are told in time you will become an ascended being and get your very own planet to play with and populate just as Elohim did. Hmmm...does this sound familiar? Countless science fiction stories have used this idea. If he had been born in modern times he would have used terms Like the Raƫlians did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Vorilhon
http://www.rickross.com/reference/raelians/raelians77.html

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 01:08PM

Much larger companion volume to mormon theological gems: 'Mormon Theological Coprolite'

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: May 06, 2017 06:04PM

In the end, the overwhelmed, emotionally abused, mind controlled member has to abandon the absurd notion that mormonism is the one true church on earth, that the creeps in charge are special witnesses of Jesus Christ who actually talk to GOD! Outside of the fantasy world of mormonism, GOD mongers of false religion have proven to truth seekers/the secular world to be nothing more than corporate charlatans representing a vile, God CON Cult! At some point those who have uncovered the many fraudulent claims including nonsense regarding God's exclusive money collectors on earth must be willing to call a spade a spade! None of these corporate thieves representing the GOD CON can wish it all away! jo smith jr. was indeed a well documented 19th century career criminal. sexual predator, money grubber/general low-life of his time!

Ironically, the so-called church is trapped in the depths of its shady history/secular records of the time period that contradict much of their fantasy history! It's more than obvious that mormonism was founded in lies, supported over the years by more lies/sustained by constant lying in the present! It's no wonder that in the light of the 21st century information age they're exposed for all to see! Yes, naked in the light of day! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 12:17PM

....whatever the current doofus leaders say it is.

The MormonCult is a cameleon, changing colors to match its surroundings so that it does not become eaten. Take polygamy as an example. Oh, we can't practice having all the lovely young ladies we want and become a state?....you really aren't going to allow us to have our cake and eat it too???.....for rude.

The cult acts so tough for about one minute and then it changes its hues and lies saying that that it was just soooo misunderstood and maligned and lied about........yeah, right.

Gawwwd almighty.....you would think that their old song and dance routine would get boring and old and raggedy and that ALL of its followers would laugh and find something, anything, more interesting to do.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 12:28PM

still false.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 02:55PM

According to Fiona and her experience in Africa....

"It made me think about the god I worship," she says. "He is the only god who has made himself vulnerable, who has sacrificed himself for his creation. His vulnerability is sublime."

Do Mormons believe Christ is God? That sounds like something an Evangelical would say?

Shouldn't she have said it makes me think about 'one' of the three gods I worship? How did Mormon Elohim sacrifice himself?

I get confused with the LDS rejecting the Trinity and then seemingly referring to Christ as God when they claim that his heavenly father is their God and he is just a brother.

Mormon theology doesn't make sense. If Gods are made and exalted after they have been on an earth and followed Mormon doctrine successfully, how did Mormon Christ get to have God status prior to his own earthly test?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 04:56PM

jesus is god
who sacrificed himself
to himself
to appease himself

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.