Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Heathjh ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:16PM

I have a nevermo cousin getting married at the end of April. Her side of the family is Indian.
I am trying to decide if I should go or not? It would cost me about $500 in airfare to go to this wedding. My TBM parents are going.
I don't know this cousin really well cause he is a bit younger than me. But my cousins I do know better will be there. Also my Aunts and Uncles that I barely ever see will all be there.

I think it would be neat to go for the cultural experience of the wedding. It's nothing like anything I have ever experienced before. I have only been to boring LDS receptions and one LDS chapel wedding.

The other reason I think I should go is my aunt and uncle (grooms parents) were really generous to my husband and I for our wedding.

My husband said it's up to me even though he does say it's a lot of money. And he would have to take off of work (no loss of pay) to watch the 3yr old for 1-2 days.

Oh and did I mention there is a cocktail hour before the reception!!! I don't think I would even care drinking in front of my parents at that point. Never done it before (with them knowing), but I figure this is great time to do so.

So what do you think, do the benefits out way the $$$?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wellsville ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:25PM

I went to a Indian (Hindu) wedding. The religious ceremony was boring. However, the party after wards was quite festive with lots of good Indian food, bollywood music, and open bar. The Indians basically seemed to eat drink and eat and be merry was the impression I got from the reception.

Posted by: lesab96 ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:27PM

Only you can really answer that question. Though given the opportunity, I'd probably take it. if I had the $$, I'd totally take the time off to fly to india for one of my good friends wedding.

Posted by: zygar ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:28PM

Date: March 28, 2011 05:32PM

I would probably use tax return money that is going to paying off bills. So in a way I have the money and in a away not. My parents would be paying for the hotel room.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:36PM

sang the Indian national anthem at a wedding once. If I recall, it went something like?

La La La La la la la la la la. except really fast.

The women with really high voices can sing it the best!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:43PM

Muslim, Buddhist, Hindu or Sikh?

Sikhs -well in the UK at any rate- will often have a bottle of Chivas Regal for every male guest and they have Bangra dancing which is way cool. And very good food.

Muslims do not have alcohol.

By the way, women might not have such a good time as the men, depends on how traditional they are. But marrying outside their faith? Probably fairly liberal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2011 05:45PM by matt.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:47PM

I had a coworker whose husband was from India and she had pictures of the ceremony there (they also had a church wedding in the US).

The ceremony is a ceremony, which can be boring, but it will be lovely to watch! The clothing and flowers were beautiful. Like a riot of of meadow flowers in people. Just amazing.

The reception was apparently a great party. She had a great time. Lots of food and music. She recieved jewelry from her inlaws and wedding guests, who are usually very generous (not like the morg!).

Traditionally the husband buys his wife a necklace for the wedding, called a mangalsutra. It is usually 18K gold and has a intricate chain with a large pendent, the designs are endless. Do an image search on google and you will see all sorts of them.

Here is link that describes the ceremony
http://aprendizdetodo.com/wedding/

Do it! Being exposed to other cultures can only enlarge your world view.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:52PM

Once I read Matt's comments, I realized there are other options, but Hindu is the major religion.

Religion facts about India

Hinduism: 82%
Islam: 12%
Christianity: 2.5%
Sikhism: 2%
Buddhism: 0.7%
Jainism: 0.5%
Zoroastrianism: 0.01%
Judaism: 0.0005%

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 05:51PM

It also depends on how traditional they are going. Every Indian wedding I have been to lasts 3 days, you mention2. There will be tons of food, gossip, talking, dancing ( very traditional men and women do not dance together). People bring their best sari's and jewelry, unless they know the family hosting the wedding has limited funds to host. THen it would be rude to go bling-y if they are going all simple.
If you know a few people there and make up your mind to have a good time, you will :)

Date: March 28, 2011 06:27PM

On Friday evening will be the Mehndi & Sangeet. I looks like this is hosted by the Grandmothers. It's at some mansion in Chicago area.
On Saturday there is the Barat followed by the ceremony. Then a little later is cocktails and followed by dinner. These are all at the Marriott.

I am really leaning on going. It sounds really fun. I love a good party. It will be interesting to see my parents particularly my mom at this. She is very very TBM.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: March 28, 2011 06:59PM

Heathjh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On Friday evening will be the Mehndi & Sangeet. I
> looks like this is hosted by the Grandmothers.
> It's at some mansion in Chicago area.
> On Saturday there is the Barat followed by the
> ceremony. Then a little later is cocktails and
> followed by dinner. These are all at the Marriott.
>
>
> I am really leaning on going. It sounds really
> fun. I love a good party. It will be interesting
> to see my parents particularly my mom at this. She
> is very very TBM.

It's a Hindi wedding. Should be great fun!

My wife's family originated in India, sometimes she wears a Sari and her Indian jewellery.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.