Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 01:23PM

It's one less teaching I was able to fuhgetabout.

It's easier to accept the afterlife without the idea that people are going to be zapped off the face of the earth as a pre-judgment.

The really righteous would be raptured. The rest of us heathen would have to face the wrath of God.

Mormonism escaped that fundamental Christian teaching.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 01:31PM

Rapture crap is so crazy, it's laughable!

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 02:56PM

If you want to get sucked into an internet hole, go read the Rapture Ready board sometime.

I used to have a lot of nightmares about the end of the world as a child. Thankfully, those are no longer in the nightmare rotation. It's terribly cruel to instill that kind of fear in a child.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 03:26PM

Those so called Rapture paintings are creepy. I see bumper stickers sometimes that say something along the line of " Warning: In case of rapture, this car will be driverless" or something, how arrogant.
They believe that only " saved" people go to heaven, no matter how religious they are/ aren't, and if you're very devoted, but your religion doesn't preach being saved, you're going to the lakes of literal fire and brimstone,

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 05:32PM

Religion and Politics is a Rich Mans game and a Poor Mans argument.

I just think of all those books they sell on the rapture to an eager audience and the money they make. That same audience has to keep buying updated versions and new interpretations and signs of the times because the last ones didn't happen like they were told.

End days, sign of the times, prophecy being fulfilled is just big business minded people selling BS.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 05:48PM

The best rapture thing I ever saw was a January 1st 2000 on a local television station.

They had pre recorded instructions for non raptured people and played it over and over.

It was fun to see them say that though they were in heaven and I wasn't, I could still be saved if I prayed with them.

They warned me not to take the number of the beast.

I don't remember the rest but it played over and over again all day.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 06:56PM

Yeah, the Y2K scare and relating it to the end

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 07:05PM

I was. My father talked about it all the time. He said that it's the reason for temple names, so that men can call their wives up during rapture. Not only did I get full on rapture teaching, but it included misogyny. A Mormon wife doesn't know her husband's secret temple name, but he knows hers, and he can choose whether or not to call her up. The Mormon husband actually has control of his wife's salvation!

Date: May 07, 2017 07:48PM

I have a sneaking suspicion more of those Mormon husbands will be dragging their wives down to hell along with them before they'll be sparing them for heaven.

Somewhere in scripture it says you cannot serve God and mammon at the same time. In the case of cult worship, that is an idol that is far removed from worshiping an almighty God or Creator of heaven and earth.

Joseph Smith once said he'd go to the depths of hell to save his wife Emma for not accepting the polygamy doctrine. It will be her going to the depths of hell to save Joey, if there is to be any saving.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 09:25PM

+1 Good points, amy.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 09:27PM

He knew she was hell bound for committing murder.

Date: May 07, 2017 09:44PM

That's not according to my Seminary leader's teachings on the subject. Hers in fact lines up with the official record:

"Posts Tagged ‘Joseph Smith goes to hell to retrieve Emma’
Polygamy Quotes
Posted in Polygamy Quotes, tagged bible, Brigham Young, Emma goes to hell for rejecting polygamy revelation, false prophecies of Mormonism, Jesus, Joseph Smith goes to hell to retrieve Emma, polygamy quotes on 03/08/2012| Leave a Comment »
Joseph Will Go To Hell To Get Emma

Journal of Discourses 17:159; “I want to say to my sisters that if you lift you heels against this revelation, and say that you would obliterate it, and put it out of existence if you had the power to nullify and destroy it, I say that if you imbibe that spirit and feeling, you will go to hell, just as sure as you are living women. Emma took that revelation, supposing she had all there was; but Joseph had wisdom enough to take care of it, and he had handed the revelation to Bishop Whitney, and he wrote it all off. After Joseph had been to Bishop Whitney’s he went home, and Emma began teasing for the revelation. Said she—”Joseph, you promised me that revelation, and if you are a man of your word you will give it to me.” Joseph took it from his pocket and said—”Take it.” She went to the fire-place and put it in, and put the candle under it and burnt it, and she thought that was the end of it, and she will be damned as sure as she is a living woman. Joseph used to say that he would have her hereafter, if he had to go to hell for her, and he will have to go to hell for her as sure as he ever gets her.” – Brigham Young, Lehi City, Utah, August 9, 1874

(more…)

https://lifeafterministry.com/tag/joseph-smith-goes-to-hell-to-retrieve-emma/

Posted by: sunbeep ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 07:18PM

When I was a kid growing up, this caused me a fair amount of in-trepidation. Then after I was married I looked forward to it and hoped it would arrive before next tax season. Now that I'm on the downhill side of life, I don't give a crap anymore. Rapture, Rapunzel, whatever, bring it.

Date: May 07, 2017 07:50PM

I don't recall being taught about the Rapture in Sunday School or Primary. I do recall being told the saints could be "twinkled" as in transformed from mortality to immortality without dying first to be resurrected *if* we lived to see the Millenium in our lifetime.

Like Elijah when was picked up into a cloud on a chariot. You know the drill.

Posted by: Programmed ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 08:34PM

The Mormon rapture is just the "second coming," when all of the telestial-grade people will be burned, the earth will be moved closer to Kolob, and the saints will be transformed to have immortal bodies.

Christ will come and reign personally on the earth, and the work of redeeming the dead will last for 1,000 years (since the earth can only last 7,000 years fro creation to end).

So, the rapture is engrained in Mormon doctrine. It just has a different name.

One more doctrine to deprogram from.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 08:53PM

I seem to remember something about having to go back to Missouri during this time.

Anybody see You, Me and the Apocalypse? Great show but it was canceled after the first season. I think the Uk might have gotten a 2nd season though?

Date: May 07, 2017 09:18PM

This person just disappeared, right before his lab's eyes.

Hasn't been seen or heard from since. I don't know about you, but he made a believer out of his dog!

http://jameystegmaier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/raptured.jpg

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 07, 2017 10:10PM

Check out D&C Section 45. There were a lot of rumors at the Y about the literalness of this apocalyptic revelation.

And, here's another fine read from LDS Living--

http://www.ldsliving.com/7-Things-That-Must-Happen-Before-the-End-of-the-World/s/80029

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2017 11:07PM by BYU Boner.

Date: May 08, 2017 07:22PM

I was really impressed by "The Church headquarters need to move to Missouri." And a 'Grand Council' meeting at Adam Ondi-Ahman before the great and dreadful day of the Second Coming take place.

Boy are these people buffooned.

I believe in the hereafter. I also believe in Jesus Christ as a living being. But I don't believe the end of the world is going to happen anything like either Christians or Mormons describe it is going to take place.

Albeit, if it gets destroyed by fire I doubt very much it will be a comet hitting the earth. That would happen as a result of human error such as a nuclear Armageddon.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: May 08, 2017 08:01PM

The rapture is evolving.

It has been merged with new information from quantum physics and astronomy. Up-to-date believers whisper that the rapture is really just moving into another dimension to save you from the Tribulation. Once the sheep and goats (or chaff and wheat if you are vegetarian) have been sorted, another group will enter the 4th dimension and you will all go up.

Provided, of course, that you have not forgotten your dimension passwords, handshakes and new name.

Kathleen

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 09, 2017 03:26PM

We were taught about all the rapture entailed -- of being caught up in the sky to meet Jesus when he came down, and so forth. We just didn't call it the rapture.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.