Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: myron donnerbalken ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 06:45PM

I was surprised to find no link to this on RfM, although someone should have posted it already. It's pretty gutsy to appear in Deseret News. I'm pretty surprised:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865679571/Taylor-G-Petrey-The-failures-of-Mormon-conservatism.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 07:22PM

Now there's some sense. Many of us have been saying this since Goldwater and Nixon. Mormonism evolved into a narcissistic, "I got mine," state of mind. I don't know if I've ever met a man as callous as my Mormon father. And my Mormon mother has all the maternal instincts of an insect. Young people with hard-hearted parents are dropping out of Mormonism in record numbers. Senile men pretend to know God's will, and it's just embarrassing anymore. They'd better change it up again, because their ship is listing.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 07:22PM

Well, sort of gutsy. And sort of not.
They did, after all, have two (count 'em, TWO) "conservative" commentators reply to the ONE article you linked to.
Ganging up, so to speak.

Frankly, it came off to me as more of a "let's put some liberal views in, then show everyone why they're so wrong" kind of set-up. Rather than an honest attempt at an airing of multiple views.

Still, it might crack some shelves anyway...:)

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 09:35PM

But this is how the church routinely starts the process of change. It's sort of like the essays. The notion of a stone in a hat was published in one of the church essays in the early 1990s, then hinted about from time to time and finally embodied in the essays. Gradually, the church is adjusting its stance to the meet new political needs.

This article could be the same: either a trial balloon or the beginning of a slow evolutionary process. Next time, perhaps there will be two liberal articles and one conservative one. I don't think the article represents an editorial oversight.

Someone is trying to create slightly more room for the church to change its politics if it decides such change is advisable. The demographic argument may well be the reason the COB wants more options.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 07:28PM

It probably didn't get mentioned here before because almost no one here reads the DesNews. Good essay, though.

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 08:32AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.