Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 02:17AM

Hello dear ones!

Just dropping in to say hello. I lurk from time to time to keep up with exmo happenings, but I thought I'd give a return & report on life.

Life is good. I feel I've come a long way in my recovery. For several years I compulsively read this board. I was hurt, angry, starving to know every "fleck" of history.

Time has healed my wounds into a small hairline scar. I was a convert at 21, went less active at 23/24 due to some "life trauma" and then I was part of the grand "Essay Exodus."

Since then, I've married a lovely nevermo, settled down, bought a house, gotten my career on track and got a puppy. Life can be great post-mo! :)

DH is currently away training for work and I've gone back to church to finally take out my endowments.

"Wait," you say "I though you were recovered!" Yes, I think I mostly am, but I know if I don't go through the temple I'll always regret it. I know it's something I have to do. It's a personal decision and I know not everybody will understand.

And yes, I expect it to be weird and disappointing. Still though, I feel it's something I need to do.

So, beloveds, what do you think is the quickest way to a TR? Obviously wanting to serve a mission is out!

For those of you who might worry, I don't plan on paying tithing. I own a small business and on paper I make virtually nothing. Also, I can't have a calling for a year because I'm previously divorced! Yippee!

Looking forward to hearing from you and receiving your advice. I will always be thankful to the many kind souls who loved and nurtured me through my profound brokenness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Overit ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 03:51AM

WHY DO YOU THINK VEING PREVIOUSKY DUVORCED PRECLUDES YOU FROM A CALLING FOR A YEAR. THAT IS NOT MY EXPERIENCE WHEN I WAS A TBM DIVOCEES AND NEWLY SEPARATEDS HELD CALLINGS.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:17AM

It's my understanding that this is specified in the Bishop's portion of the Church handbook, at least for divorced females.

Posted by: slayermegatron ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 04:55AM

The endowment. At the time I went through I didn't know enough about other religions to know it was strange. On my mission we encountered scientologists in some robes walking into their place (I think that was what they were). We joked around a bit about how strange it was, but in the back of my mind I thought "yeah, it is pretty strange, kind of like us in the temple". You will have to decide what you think.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 05:37AM

Have you watched the endowment videos on YouTube?

Date: May 10, 2017 10:18AM

Yup :)

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:19AM

To each their own, I suppose.

The fastest way to the temple endowment would be to make an appointment with your bishop and tell him that is your desire. He'll probably make a plan for you, which may very well include tithing even though you say you don't make anything.

He'll probably want you to accept a calling. It will most likely be something like Primary or nursery. You'll have to regularly attend meetings and be faithful in your calling for probably a year. The bishop may ask you to attend a temple prep class. He may want to see you bear your testimony on a consistent basis and he'll probably call you in for regular interviews to be sure you're on track for the temple.

Are you sure you're up to all this? It can become very difficult to fake a commitment to the church. And besides that, I can think of a thousand better ways to spend a year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 10:26AM by want2bx.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:37AM

With the videos available online, you could reenact the endowment with friends. You could also add things to it such as beer pong.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:42AM

As a male never-mo, I am far from your mental and emotional space, but I advise against getting the TR and doing the endowments.

1) To get the TR, you will have to lie. You can rationalize that, as the cult lies to its members, but you'll be compromising your integrity. "Two wrongs don't make a right," as your mother told you. It's true.

2) On the basis of pure speculation, I think you want to see the weirdness of the Endowment as a means to complete the purge of LDS from you emotional attachments: you want to see it at its worst to finalize your rejection of it. If I'm right, this is a bad application of bad logic. There are many things that are evil in the world, such as war and crime, that you would not personally experience to know the evil thereof--you learn them by other people's painful experiences.

So it is with the endowment. There's plenty of stuff on line, including illegal* videos for you to variously experience the rites.

3) Don't underestimate the real risk that you might become re-attached to the cult, even as you do the monkey walk of conforming to the bishop's commands. (You joined as a conscious, thinking adult once before, right?) You have a good marriage to a never-mo; how do you explain all this to him? Please, THINK: You put your marriage at risk. If you have problems in your life (business setbacks, marital crisis) it would be more tempting than you think to turn to LDS and LDS "friends" for solace.

Like all abusive relationships, LDS has its appeal--that's why you joined, right? Sometimes a person just has to make a "decision of the will," leave it, and firmly resolve that the decision is final and irrevocable.

*They've done the sinning for you!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:44AM

Someone's been drinking the Kool-Aid. I got nuthin for you.

:)

Date: May 10, 2017 01:45PM

I'm disappointed you would respond this way... you're one of a handful of people I always felt was more positive and supportive, even through their own pain.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 11:01AM

Getting to the temple will require a lot of lying (do you pay a full tithe, do you have a testimony that JS was a prophet, do you have a testimony of the LDS gospel, do you affiliate with any apostate groups...) and a lot of time (callings, sacrament mtg talks, worthiness interviews, toilet scrubbing).

Personally, I don't think it's worth the trouble. You can see all the craziness on YouTube videos and many people in this group have a lot of temple experience.

I wish I hadn't wasted any time in those buildings! There are so many other things, more rewarding to yourself and others, that you could be doing with your time and energy. Go to an open house to see all the rooms and get a feel for the building, but the ceremonies are nothing special.

When I see a temple, now, all I think about is how much $ and time is wasted while so many people in the world need help. If there is a god, I'm sure that's where he'd rather us focus our resources.

Good luck!

Date: May 10, 2017 11:56AM

Remember us when you need a soft landing to come back to. ;-)

Date: May 10, 2017 01:47PM

Are you upset because I don't need you guys any more? I'm not looking for a soft landing and honestly, if I were, it wouldn't be here.

I'm sorry you guys can't take me at face value and respect my decisions, even though you can't/don't understand them.

Date: May 10, 2017 10:38PM

OP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sorry you guys can't take me at face value and respect my decisions, even though you can't/don't understand them.

It's really not required that people on this board respect your decisions. Board members might, with some justification, find your decisions foolish, misguided, or ill-advised.

Posted by: OPX ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 10:45PM

Well, if people want to be judgemental without fully understanding the context of my decisions (which to be fair I'm not willing to be completely transparent on), that says more about them than anything else.

You may be right that I am misguided. Perhaps I am. Time only will tell, but I'm willing to do this in pursuit of closure. Ultimately, that's up to me. :)

Date: May 10, 2017 10:49PM

Ultimately, I'm not looking for approval.

I'm looking for advice on how to hurry up the process.

For those who would want me free sooner, advice on how to get a TE sooner is really the only helpful thing. Other advice is really missing the mark.

Date: May 10, 2017 10:57PM

I'm just pointing out that even people that like you are not always going to be "positive and supportive" (from your response above) about everything that you decide to do. Especially when you announce on an exmo board that you are going back to the church for the express purpose of going to the temple.

Date: May 11, 2017 12:26AM

Fair enough. :)

Posted by: Henry B. Earring ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 01:14PM

"what do you think is the quickest way to a TR?"

Obey the bishop. Just do whatever he says. He may insist on some tithing; can't give you a "Get Into Jail Free" card when others pay. Lie in the interviews of course. If you appear compliant and submissive enough, maybe he'll be fooled and shorten the time slightly.

But TBH, even the idea of doing this makes my skin crawl. Best of luck in toughing it out, if this is what you really want.

Date: May 10, 2017 01:36PM

Since you're married to a never Mo, what is the honest attraction you have for wanting to go through the temple, after learning the church is both a fraud and a cult?

What is in it for you?

Are you being truthful with us, or yanking our string as in busting our chops?

One other point I'll add is that it's a bit more rigmarole to obtain a TR if your spouse is inactive or in your case, a never Mo.

One of my aunts waited more than 50 married years with her inactive husband before the church softened its stance on worthy members to go through the temple without their mates (that was in the 1980's.) She finally got to go through by herself because her husband wasn't able to, near the end of her life.

But she was an earnest believer.

I don't understand why you're wanting to do this now after leaving already.

Why did you decide to go back? If it's only to go through the temple, and you're willing to lie to do that, what's the draw? You can look up the ceremony online without subjecting yourself to the cult madness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 01:38PM by Amyjo.

Date: May 10, 2017 01:44PM

As I said in my opening post, I don't expect other people to understand. It's a personal decision.

Thanks for you who provided real advice, despite not understanding my motivations.

I'm a bit surprised at the amount of judginess present in the responses, but I guess I understand. I did expect more from Amyjo though...

Date: May 10, 2017 02:00PM

I didn't mean to sound judgmental. I'm honestly surprised that you'd go back for just a temple recommend, if your heart isn't really in it.

If you have doubts about it being true or not, that I can understand easier.

People come and go on this board, I get that. I was a longtime member of the cult before I figured out what a tomfoolery it was. I went inactive for a time during adolescence, then returned as a young adult.

Left in my 30's. Returned for several more years in my 40's after my parents had died, out of nostalgia for my lost innocence and youth perhaps. And I miscalculated that my children would have good role models at church.

Boy was I never more wrong about that. The church actively tried to undermine my influence as a mother and a parent, and strip me of my authority over my children. Once I realized what was happening I got out quicker than you can say "Jump." My resignation went in the mail as well because of the deceptive practices the local cult leaders engage in.

That opened my eyes more than any history lesson could. Between the history and the reprehensible actions of those people at the ward level, was all the proof I needed that the church is phony baloney.

I am a 6th generation now former Mormon, who has zero desire to submit myself to any demands by the cult ie corporation on my soul, my time, or my resources. They've taken enough already. They'd take my blood if they could, but I cut them off before they could cut me off. They've already done irreparable harm to one of my children. Two actually if you count my birth son who I gave up for adoption in 1975. He's been damaged by the cult's lies as well.

So no, I cannot nor will I forgive them for the damage they caused to my family.

Since you came here asking for feedback, that's what I have to offer. Not a congratulations or wonderful. If that's what you were expecting, well you won't be hearing it from me.

I would tell you to stop and consider what it is you're really hoping to gain from your experience there vs. your time on RfM.

Feedback on RfM is the polar opposite of what you are going to find in the temple. Surely you knew that before posting?!

This isn't a support group for Mormons in recovery. ;-0

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 02:16PM by Amyjo.

Date: May 10, 2017 02:11PM

Thanks, Amyjo.

I'm so, so sorry that you've suffered. I'm sorry for your children as well. There is no excuse. There are no words.

I'm not questioning whether or not the church is true. I'm not vacillating in my beliefs.

I'm just looking for closure. I understand my closure looks very different from most others, but I would gladly give up 52 Sundays to get my TR than spend the next 50 YEARS wondering and renting the church headspace.

I just want closure. Any advice on how to shave time off a year of activity is appreciated.

Thanks for your response. ❤️

Date: May 10, 2017 02:25PM

I don't know there are any shortcuts to getting through the red tape on your way to a TR, so you can see the inside of a temple with its rituals.

The cult is going to suck you dry before that happens. So brace yourself, if that is what you earnestly want more than your freedom from oppression and the cult mentality.

I wish you well, I just see you setting yourself up for a big disappointment in the end.

There are things in life we may desire that could be counter productive, destructive, or dangerous to engage in.

You might want to try bungee jumping instead if it's thrill seeking you're after. (semi-jkz)

Or climbing Mt Everest to get a new perspective.

Engaging in questionable practices for their own sake gets someone where exactly? I'm mildly curious about other religions and their practices. Not enough to go out on a limb to experience them for myself.

If I ever desired to go through the temple, those days are long behind me. They went the way of my belief in the false religion that values obedience to lies and retribution over morality and family values.

It shames good honorable people for standing up to abuse and its ugly practices. While it continues blindly doing the same things that have caused so much destruction and harm to millions.

I'm not trying to preach to you, but the thought occurs to me why not save yourself from its clutches before it does more harm to you?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 01:55PM

I HAD TO SEE IT for myself; otherwise, I would have spent my life wondering if there was something I missed that would have changed my mind. Although I didn't have the battle in front of me that you do in order to get a TR.

What I can say is it isn't as crazy now as it was when I went through in 1984. So many things have changed, but from what I can tell, it is still bizarre. If I hadn't been through, I'm afraid I'd still be thinking like you are.

My younger sister didn't go through the temple and she lives a very not mormon lifestyle, but she did the tour of the Brigham City temple when they had the open house and she was really impressed and I'm like, "BUT I know what goes on in there." If my daughter posts a picture of a temple on fb, my sister will like it. I really did have to see it with my own eyes. There is no mystery left for me. The temple was one of the most disappointing experiences of my life. My super special name that I waited most of my life to find out as we were taught it would be God's name for us. My super special name is Lucy. My first thought was OH SURE!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 01:56PM by cl2.

Date: May 10, 2017 01:57PM

Thank you!!!

This is exactly how I feel.

I just want the mystery stripped away and to be free. I'm glad someone understands. *hugs from cyberspace*

Posted by: scaredhusband ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 02:16PM

I hope you find the closure you are looking for.

I had something completely different in mind when I first went. Everyone talked it up to be this wonderful experience but it wasn't. Looking back I see it more as them trying to convince themselves it was a wonderful spiritual experience.

Posted by: Henry B. Earring ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 02:18PM

If you REALLY want to impress the bishop with your sincerity and devotion, volunteer for bathroom duty every Saturday. That will get his attention like nothing else.

Bonus points if DH shows up with you.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 02:35PM

I get that you feel like you "have" to do this. The reality is that you don't "have" to do anything like this at all. You're worried that it will be a regret that you will carry around with you for the rest of your life. I, personally don't understand what you will regret.

Getting your endowment isn't an accomplishment, it's a sign of submissiveness. You are going to have to spend the next x number of months, attending church, paying tithing (and yes, they will expect you to pay tithing, especially as a small business owner, they won't be giving you a TR until you pay what they consider to be a full tithe, most Bishops will have a hard time believing that you don't make any money at all, how do you pay for your house, your utilities, food? etc they'll ask. Pay the Lord first!) and groveling to a bishop to get your temple recommend so you can watch a boring 3 hour video that has been described in detail online and can even be watched on YouTube for free, right now.

Keep in mind that you'll also be building new relationships with the people in your ward, you'll be assigned Home Teachers and Visiting Teachers and will be assigned to do some visiting teaching yourself. I think you might be underestimating the church's ability to draw you back in. What happens after you go to the temple? Do you suddenly stop going? Do you think the church is going to just let a full tithing member go easily?

I would suggest, if you haven't already done so, watching said videos and seeing if it's really worth all that effort for something that you've said you've recovered from.

And I do get wanting to see it. I believe that at past Ex-mo conferences, there have been classes which allow the participants to basically act out the endowment for those who didn't get a chance before they left, so they can see what they've missed. I think that if I hadn't gotten my endowment, I'd be curious, but I don't think that I'd be so curious that I'd waste that much time and money for it.

Date: May 10, 2017 02:39PM

Also, if you don't have children yet but plan to, please consider the longterm effects your being in the cult is going to have on them and their well being.

If being a Mormon makes you feel like a better person, and helps you cope with life - that's how many converts describe it after joining.

Maybe that's the draw for you. I realize you say your reasons are personal, but they must be strong enough for you to validate them as your returning to full church activity.

Date: May 11, 2017 12:28AM

I don't ever intend on having kiddos.

I wish you would understand that I'm not a newly turned TBM. Still post/exmo. Just looking for some final closure.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 02:53PM

Want to know the "feeling" of going to the temple for the first time?

It's weird and cult-like.

There is chanting, strange attire, signs, tokens & handshakes. None of which is backed up by scripture.

It is NOTHING LIKE a normal Sunday church service.

It's the twilight zone in there.

I never went back, went inactive, and I'm out.

Never again.

What really sealed the deal for me? It wasn't all the anti-Mormon stuff like stones & multiple wives (the church already admits all that)...

I bought a new NIV Bible (forbidden by the church) and began reading...

I discovered that when the BoM was published in 1830, JS went around trying to sell it, and was instantly rejected by many people because of Matthew 24.

In 1831, JS "re-translated" Matthew 24 and "solved" that problem.

He then continued to blot out and change other verses of the Bible that didn't agree with Mormonism and of course called it the JST. He had to put in quite a bit of minor changes as well so it didn't look like he was targeting specific texts that disagreed with the "restored church", obfuscating the matter.

Matthew 24 was the big one but also finding out that John the Baptist was "the Elijah that turned the hearts of men to their children" that was meant to come... it's right there, over and over in the gospels.

If you still want to believe, get the NIV... read it.. you will find many earth shattering contradictions.

Date: May 10, 2017 03:03PM

Also, to add..

What did I do? I visited many different churches in the area. I finally settled on a local Baptist church that I like and that is very active in the community.

It's taken a few years, but I like the diversity and very much enjoy going now... unlike the dread I felt every Sunday for the local ward service.

Date: May 10, 2017 03:04PM

I actually have my BA in theology and Koine Greek with a minor in Hebrew.

I've read the Bible cover to cover more than once... I think I'm good for several lifetimes!

Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 03:36PM

The NIV bible is not forbidden by the church. The King James Version is preferred but in the standard LDS scriptures JST is in the footnotes. The JST is not typically what is read - if you want to read that you have to look it up.

Date: May 10, 2017 10:13PM

The JST was the standard biblical scripture used in the RLDS when I used to go there. I believe it still is in use, but can't say for sure. It was so strange to have it incorporated right into the direct biblical passages. It made no sense to me then, even before the SHTF (my discovering the historical proof from reading Fawn Brodie's work and Valleen Tippetts Avery's on Emma Hale Smith.)

Posted by: Inky ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 11:15PM

Get up and cry during f&t meeting. Tell them how much you regret leaving and how you wished you had followed the spirit instead of your selfish worldy desires. Say that you hope HF will forgive you for your sins so that you can feel clean again. They will believe you because it is what they want to hear and it will make them feel smug in their self-righteousness.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: May 10, 2017 11:44PM

I've known people who were called to be RSP in the middle of their divorce. Don't bet on no calling. Also, don't bet on no tithing being in your favor. Also, nobody here can understand your motivations, because you haven't told us what they are. If you enlighten us, maybe you'll get more understanding?

Married to a nevermo? You've got your work cut out for you if you want to go through the temple. I think your time, energy, and money would be better spent on a novermo therapist. Mormonism has obviously screwed with your head if you want to go through the temple. It ain't all that. You can watch it online. Yawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2017 11:51PM by janis.

Date: May 11, 2017 12:30AM

Well gee, with all the good vibes floating around on this thread I wonder why I don't bare my soul! *snort*

My recovery has taught me good boundaries.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 06:55AM

Here are the questions, the bishop and stake president will ask.

Do you have faith in and a testimony of God the Eternal Father, His Son Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost?
Do you have a testimony of the Atonement of Christ and of His role as Savior and Redeemer?
Do you have a testimony of the restoration of the gospel in these the latter days?
Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?
Do you live the law of chastity?
Is there anything in your conduct relating to members of your family that is not in harmony with the teachings of the Church?
Do you support, affiliate with, or agree with any group or individual whose teachings or practices are contrary to or oppose those accepted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
Do you strive to keep the covenants you have made, to attend your sacrament and other meetings, and to keep your life in harmony with the laws and commandments of the gospel?
Are you honest in your dealings with your fellowmen?
Are you a full-tithe payer? Do your keep the Word of Wisdom?
Do you have financial or other obligations to a former spouse or children? If yes, are you current in meeting those obligations?
If you have previously received your temple endowment: Do you keep the covenants that you made in the temple? Do you wear the garment both night and day as instructed in the endowment and in accordance with the covenant you made in the temple?

Have there been any sins or misdeeds in your life that should have been resolved with priesthood authorities but have not been?
Do you consider yourself worthy to enter the Lord's house and participate in temple ordinances?

Rules can change last I have heard they want you to be active for at least 12 months before giving a TR. Tithing, fast offerings, and weekly church attendance. You will need to accept VT and HT to your house. If you get a Young Women calling they would expect you to show up every Wednesday too.

https://mormonhub.com/forums/

Date: May 11, 2017 11:01AM

I would like to stress a point here.

To get a REAL EVALUATION of the temple, then you must be a REAL TBM. That means, you cannot lie when you are asked these questions.

If you lie, and go to the temple "unworthy", then the feelings you receive wont be "real" and be corrupted because you knew you lied, thus spoiling your experiment.

It's all or nothing from here on out.

You must decide NOW to be a TBM, or an ex-mo.

Date: May 11, 2017 01:24PM

^^^^This+++++

Date: May 11, 2017 01:50PM

I don't buy into the logic and it also doesn't speak to my motivation, but other than that, sure. :)

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 09:55AM

Well, since you're OK with being a religious mormon fraud and dishonest with the church, and you want a TR ASAP, I suggest trying to get, buy, steal a copy of one. Maybe even get a good photo and forge one, find one on-line and buy it, etc.

I wouldn't do that, but it might work for you in your situation.

Good luck.

Date: May 11, 2017 11:00AM

I genuinely feel bad for you.

Life must have hurt you a lot to make you so angry. Or maybe you're just an angry person -?

Best of luck in your recovery.

Date: May 11, 2017 11:17AM

It's actually a really good idea. See if you can borrow one from an exmo.

Date: May 11, 2017 12:41PM

I've tried to borrow one. I'd be much happier doing that. I haven't been successful though. :(

Date: May 11, 2017 11:20AM

Now who's being judgmental? Based on what you've posted, everything he's stated is true, you are planning on acting like a Mormon, while being fraudulent and lying to the church while trying to get a TR as soon as possible.

Their suggestion to steal one (which is essentially what you're going to be doing as you're going attempting to get one through deception) is just as valid.

I didn't read Jonny's post as angry, but as a way to get your TR faster.

Don't assume that everyone here is "angry"... Besides, what's wrong with being angry, the church has done major damage to many if not most people here and you have come here stating basically that you're going back, just to watch a movie. Granted you keep stating that we're missing context as to why you're doing that, but without that context it looks like you're willing to support a harmful, horrible organization, again, just to watch a movie.

Date: May 11, 2017 12:47PM

I don't think it's judgemental to read angry words and infer they come from an angry person.

Technically, I am still a Mormon as are many people on this board who haven't resigned.

Is it fraudulent to sit in SM and listen? I don't think so.

And why in the world would I provide personal context given 90% of people's reactions?

I came here asking for advice on how to speed up the context. Period. I didn't ask advice on what Bibke to read, or state I was going back for good or any number of weird things people have read into this thread.

All I wanted was advice on how to speed up the process, not a commentary on my decision.

Oh well.

Date: May 11, 2017 01:04PM

You know this is an open board on the internet, right? You've posted here before, so you know how things work. People don't always comment on the things we'd like them to, or how. They are often going to provide all kinds of commentary whether or not we'd like them to. That's the risk we take when we post anything.

As for your judgments. You don't know if Jonny is angry, that was the tone you chose to read those words in, he may have been sarcastic, ironic, he might have even been trying to be helpful. It's hard to read tone in text, as you've pointed out, lacking the context of a voice behind the words, it's up to the reader to decide the tone, YOU chose to read his tone as angry, you apparently chose to read summer's tone differently, even though they agreed with Jonny.

>"Is it fraudulent to sit in SM and listen? I don't think so."

No, that's not, don't be silly. It is however fraudulent to lie to the Bishop and Stake President in what's going to amount to several interviews to prove your worthiness to get that TR. You are going to have to say that you do believe the BOM is true and that you sustain the Prophet as being directed by God... You've stated that you're "recovered" so I'm guessing that's not the case, so you will be lying, several times, in order to get your coveted TR.

You can justify that however you'd like, I really don't care, but you are being fraudulent to obtain a TR. You will also have to show at least some support (possibly even financial) to an organization that has harmed many people here in order to get that TR and you some how expected that no one was going have commentary about that?

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 11:13AM

Then there's always that Second Annointing!

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 12:57PM

I've watched this thread develop and thought I'd thrown in my tuppence.

I think it is a great idea to do it.

Watching the U-Tube video just doesn't do the crazy justice. It's like watching a video of a person sky-diving. It just isn't the same as if you'd done it yourself.

Sure, it is a lot of effort to get your TR, more than I'd be willing to put in, but if you want to, why not?

I'd suggest lots of bearing of testimony, lots of tears, and you'll be on the fast track to TR interviews with the Bishop.

Ask to participate in Baptisms for the dead as soon as you have a little of his trust. Tell them how spiritual and awesome the experieince was, etc

Date: May 11, 2017 01:51PM

Thanks, I appreciate you weighing in. :)

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 02:03PM

If I could go through an endowment ceremony one more time, just for nostalgia's sake, I would.

I wouldn't put any effort to get there though. but then I've been there, done that, and seen it before. For a first timer, why not put in a bit of effort to see the crazy for yourself?

Another thing you can try is to go to the temple grounds and return with a moving, tear filled testimony about how you could just feel the spirit coming from that building and how you are looking forward to the day when you can go yourself.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 01:38PM

If you are so set on doing this for the experience I hope they don't take too much of your money to qualify for the TR. TSCC is getting pretty money hungry and they may ask for a lot of loot. Don't appear too eager or they will play you like a violin. If you can make it sound like it might bring your husband around to joining they might drop some requirements or make it easier but don't count on it. Every bishop/stake president has his own agenda and power crazed ideas.

I still think, as do others, you should just watch it. It's not uplifting in the least. It's just a copy and paste job from the Masonic Temple ceremonies only more lame. Most of it is just a movie that keeps repeating itself and then a lot of standing and sitting while you put your temple clothes on and raise your hand and swear. The first time i went through it was so confusing I couldn't make much out of it. If you have already watched it on video then maybe it won't seem so confusing. It's just an exercise to make you feel you have sworn your whole life away to the church under the pretext of committing your life to God. Listen carefully to the very end when it says as much. They even elevate the volume to give it greater impact.

So, go ahead and swear your "time, talents, money, and everything God has given you and will ever give you in the future" to the corporation. I'm ashamed I ever did it. I think we all just want to save you the humiliation. If that doesn't bring you to a sense of shame for having fallen for Mormonism, nothing will.

Date: May 11, 2017 01:56PM

I appreciate your words.

I don't want to be humiliated, I just want closure and I know this is the only way to get it. I have thought about this FOR YEARS, weighed the pros and cons and I know this is my path.

Thanks to everyone for their genuine advice.

Many of you have expressed concerns about money. My husband is the bread winner and my business made $150 on paper last year. Please don't worry. I don't intend on aggrandizing them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 02:01PM

I can understand that there is some level of need to experience the temple first hand. The problem comes in, if not a true believer, it involves a lot of lying, and that, to some, is not a sign of integrity. It's hard to understand the need to lie so many times for some kind of personal experience. Or what that would be "closure" for anyone. It's the contradictions, I think, that causes people to shake their heads.

This is a serious covenant made by the believers. To lie to go through it becomes difficult to understand if not a believer on any level. While some may go through it for cultural reasons, and there is some very low level of commitment, it has, at it's core most likely, a need to preserve the family and to be involved as well as a struggling testimony of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2017 02:04PM by SusieQ#1.

Date: May 11, 2017 02:28PM

Ultimately, what I say or don't say is up to me.

I don't think recounting old spiritual experiences is fraudulent, and that's what I intend on doing 99% of the time.

As far as the actual interviews themselves, I don't relish that. I can, however, truthfully answer many of them (such as WoW), dealing honestly with my fellow man, etc.

As for the other questions, I firmly believe "An oath to a liar is no oath at all." Sometimes deception serves a good purpose.

I think closure and my enhanced mental health justify that. If others don't, that's ok.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 11, 2017 02:06PM

The temple always had a good vibe for me. But, it's no better than going to any other beautiful place. A place is special because people think it's special. That's it. Like all other nice things in Mormonism, you can find it elsewhere much cheaper.

My first time, my friends told me it would be very special. I got to the end and wondered, "When do we get to the special part?".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.