Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:15AM

Area Mom Convinced 30-Year-Old Daughter Would Be Married By Now If She Just Brushed Her Hair More ....
=====================================================

LAYTON, UT — Certain it was all that was holding her back from finding the man of her dreams, area mom Janet Kessler told reporters Thursday that she was convinced her 30-year-old daughter Meredith would be married by now if she just brushed her hair more.

“You know, if you just took a few extra minutes in the morning to run a comb through your hair, I’m absolutely certain you’d have a husband by now,” said Kessler, adding that if Meredith didn’t take care of the frizz, the closest she’d ever get to a wedding would be as someone else’s bridesmaid.

“I’m not saying that you have to do anything fancy, but I know you would’ve already tied the knot if you just made a real effort to get those tangles out.
Who wants to spend their life with someone who pulls their hair back like some farm girl?” Kessler went on to say she’d have at least one grandchild by now if her daughter just wore lipstick every once in a while.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 02:04AM

And let's hope and pray Meredith shaves her legs!!!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 09:55AM

Well, the mother is showing..... *shoulders* ....!!

She's obviously not temple-worthy herself.

'The Onion' is the only fake news I trust.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 10:49AM

If that's her in the picture, her hair is very sloppy, flat and just pulled back herself, like a farm girl, whatever that means.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 12:21PM

about why she isn't married. One is that if she stayed in Utah all the time instead of working in Alaska 5 to 7 months of the year and sometimes living in Tennessee that she'd be married by now. I told her you have to live your life and not just sit around and wait. Nothing more depressing than that.

One thing she learned from bailing on her wedding 18 months ago is that marriage is not the most important thing to her. She doesn't want to end up like I did.

My daughter spends waaaayyyyy too much time on her hair and makeup if you ask me. She dresses very nice and she is tall, thin, blonde. She dates a lot. She just hasn't found a mormon guy she wants to take on. The one she is the most in love with left the church and she can't deal with that.

P.S. This isn't that "fake." When I was in a singles ward, the SP came to give a talk at a "fireside." He told the women that if they just put on lipstick and wore fingernail polish, blah, blah, blah. It was very insulting. Did he not even look around the room? Most of the women in that ward went all out with dressing nice, hair nice, etc. The guys were a mixed bag. It is OBVIOUSLY our fault if we aren't married by 19. It was my fault my gay ex cheated, too. Always the woman's fault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 12:24PM by cl2.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 05:05PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> about why she isn't married. One is that if she
> stayed in Utah all the time instead of working in
> Alaska 5 to 7 months of the year and sometimes
> living in Tennessee that she'd be married by now.
> I told her you have to live your life and not just
> sit around and wait. Nothing more depressing than
> that.
>

>
> P.S. This isn't that "fake." When I was in a
> singles ward, the SP came to give a talk at a
> "fireside." He told the women that if they just
> put on lipstick and wore fingernail polish, blah,
> blah, blah. It was very insulting. Did he not even
> look around the room? Most of the women in that
> ward went all out with dressing nice, hair nice,
> etc. The guys were a mixed bag. It is OBVIOUSLY
> our fault if we aren't married by 19. It was my
> fault my gay ex cheated, too. Always the woman's
> fault.

When my family was in the mission field, I once was dragged along with my parents(I was maybe 14) to a Stake Young Adult Fireside at which the speaker whose calling I cannot recall, though he may have been the Stake Young Adult Leader, chose as his topic why those single females present were not married.. I'm not sure why my parents found it necessary to attend unless they heard in advance what it was the guy planned to do and wanted to be there for damage control purposes.

While he spoke to all single sisters (with the males present; none of them were at fault in any way, but they got to be present to watch the sisters be chastised) about the things they were doing wrong that were making them unappealing to the available pool of priesthood holders.

It soon became apparent that the idiot's remarks were directed almost exclusively at two of the women.One was at least moderately hot by most standards. She was a bit of a late-bloomer and was taking her time completing her education though she was extremely bright. She was a kind and caring girl who spent entirely too much time helping others with their problems, which might of accounted for why it was taking her so long to complete her undergraduate degree.At twenty-three, she was still in her final year of an undergraduate program.Though she didn't go out of her way to show off her brain power (though she dominated trivia games), my parents thought her intelligence may have been off-putting to the single priesthood holders.

The other was an older sister to the twenty-three-year-old. I think she was twenty-eight. She was a returned missionary and had a career prior to serving on her mission, yet seemed to be floundering after returning from her mission. She, too, was quite sharp, though not as much so as her prettier and younger sister. She might have been called one of the "sweet spirits' except that she had a bit of an abrasive personality. In other words, she wasn't particularly attractive. She did have a die-hard faith in anything the church professed.

The two sisters were seated next to one-another. At some point, the speaker gave up on any pretext of speaking to the group at large and looked directly at the two sisters as he spoke. He talked of how not every woman could be physically attractive, but that a woman could do herself a few favors by making herself as presentable as possible any time she left her home. Learn a few make-up and hair tips from the sisters who were married or engaged and obviously had the techniques down. "Does either one of you even OWN a can of hairspray?" the speaker asked the two sisters, giving up any pretext of speaking to the group as a whole.He even mentioned hygiene. It was at this point that my mom's blood began to boil, as neither of these women nor any woman present had known issues with hygiene. I really think he was just looking for ways to humiliate the women at this point.

Then he moved on to the topic of abrasive personalities in women, how they can be off-putting to men, and how, because men hold the priesthood, those who hold the priesthood would have to be considered the intellectual superiors to those who don't in spite of any worldly knowledge or in spite of the results of any worldly intelligence quota assessments.He also stated that any supposed advantages a woman might have in terms of supposed intelligence were beneficial to a mate only as far as they helped the family's finances. Children, the speaker erroneously stated, get their intelligence solely from their father.

He started to sum things up by saying, again looking directly at the two sisters, that a woman might overcome a deficit in any one area he'd highlighted and still find a marriage mate, but if she was lacking in multiple areas, her chances were next to nil. He started to highlight his key points, beginning with 'lack of "physical attractiveness," actually pointing at the hot sister as he listed the quality. Tears started to stream down her cheeks, and my mom, who should have spoken up sooner, interrupted the man.

"Brother #%^, exactly what scripture is your source for all of this nonsense?" my mom demanded.

He started to quote the Proverbs 31 passage about "Who can find a virtuous woman?" but my mom cut him off. "You haven't said anything that even marginally relates to that! You're just making this up as you go along. you seem to have a problem with intelligent and assertive woman, and you're using this bully pulpit to extract revenge!"

The speaker told my dad to control my mom. My dad held his hands up and said, "I NEVER try to control her.

The event ended without a closing prayer.

The homelier sister is still a total morgbot. She obtained a bachelor's degree in psychology and worked for CPS and related agencies, changing agencies for whom she worked every two years or so, and faithfully giving 10 % of her paltry earnings to the LDS church.

The hot sister is a pharmacist and hasn't been inside an LDS church, to the best of my mom's knowledge, since that evening. My mom heard that she got married to an MD about a year after completing pharmacy school. A few years ago she won a large sum of money on a TV game show.She has two kids. She's happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 05:40PM by scmd.

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 03:07PM

Wow, another level of Crazy!

Reminds me of when I was at the 'Y' and my good friend went to see an on campus counselor about her PTSD from having been raped as a 5 year old child. (so pretty f'n serious stuff!) and the 'therapist' (I think maybe a student and unlicensed, I remember she was young) told her that maybe it would help her feel better to wear some more make up! (Specifically lip stick is what I recall!).

It's funny but tragic! Clearly my friend did NOT get the help she needed. Luckily she was offended by that ignorant statement and did not go back to her.

Stepford Wives (the movie(s)) I am sure was really written about Mormondom!

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 03:18PM

Also I had a boyfriend at the Y and he wasn't super active anymore in the church. And he posed as being very alternative (was a musician in a band even) and I was an artsy alternative girl to begin with. Never did wear a lot of makeup. Was a tomboy growing up. Grew up on the east coast, not in Utah. So I wasn't ever comfortable dressing up that much and wearing a lot of make up (now i don't wear a stitch of it and guess what I have a long term live in boyfriend, so it's possible! LOL)…

Anyway my BF at the time, after dating a while (like maybe 2 months which is a long time to not be engaged in Mormon Utah), decided he wanted to break up because he wasn't sure he wanted to marry me because I didn't wear enough make up!!!! Literally he told me this, as if it wasn't petty and insulting! I did meet his family once, all sisters, 8 of them and they were heavily made up and dressed in all floral dresses with puffy sleeves (this was the 90s and they were still into that back then, not sure about now, haven't been back to Provo since!)..

I wasn't even trying to get married yet and he had said he didn't want to right away either but he was the one who ended up putting the marriage pressure on things, not me.

I dodged a bullet then (only to receive many more later unfortunately), as clearly he was still very sexist (now he is 'happily' married to some big breasted Latin looking bimbo in Florida.. not sure if he's LDS, but he knows what he likes in a woman I suppose. A good dose of superficiality!).

My brother and mom once in front of me, doomed me to be forever single because I had cut my hair short, and didn't wear make up (or not much) and decided (as if holding court and I wasn't even present) that since I wasn't likely to marry I would probably make a 'good single member'!!!

I couldn't believe them! I still was dating. But yes not really the good mormon boy type. And they were right I did not end up marrying in the temple. But I got married (not happily, later happily divorced) and ultimately did find a man that would accept me and love me for me.

I am glad I held my ground and didn't give into pressure to wear all that make up because my fate may have been very different had I. Apparently that really does matter that much to most Mormon men! Though maybe less these days? My much younger sisters, growing up in the East coast in the 90s didn't face the same kinds of pressures we did in the 80s in terms of make up and dresses. Now they hardly wear any make up but are both married with kids in the LDS church. So I don't know. Not sure how things are in Utah now since when I left in 95 I never went back!

S

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 05:12PM

I never could stand tons of makeup (or, really, much at all) on women.
It always seemed to me they were trying to be something they weren't.
I always found the ones who wore little or none MUCH more attractive. They were genuinely, honestly pretty.
And usually smarter :)

Yeah, I made a lousy mormon priesthood holder...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2017 05:12PM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 03:44PM

We had a few guys in our Monday night singles family home evening group who'd date and bring to church non members who looked like models, rather than asking out some of the women in our group.
It was insulting, because the church stressed dating within the church, but they'd rather date a non member over a member, going by looks, luckily it was only a few guys.

Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: May 12, 2017 08:39PM

Like "some farm girl'? I have been married to "some farm girl" for 40 plus years. I was and still am a farmer amd farm boy. Many of our dates were on farm equipment, around the barns, on horses moving cattle. We saw each other at our worst and our best. I will take farm qualities any day over city and especially Utah snowflakes. And yes, she knew how and still knows how to get down and dirty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.