Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: outin76 ( )
Date: May 20, 2017 09:24PM

I have started going through the mormonleaks presentation on the origins of the Book of Mormon.
It is extremely interesting and well done, and I can recommend it to you.

On slide 20 Episode 3 of the presentation part of the slide says
"Hurlbut persuaded Matilda (Spalding's widow) to give him the original in late 1833. He allegedly sold it to the Mormon leadership"

So I am curious if the Church could have this manuscript, and if any substantial evidence exists that it does.

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Craig C ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 06:58AM

> "Hurlbut persuaded Matilda (Spalding's widow) to
> give him the original in late 1833. He allegedly
> sold it to the Mormon leadership"
>
> So I am curious if the Church could have this
> manuscript, and if any substantial evidence exists
> that it does.

In 1880, Ellen G. Dickerson interviewed Eber Howe. She asked him "Is there a possibility the original Spalding Manuscript will come to light?"

Howe responded: "No, I don't think so. The Mormons had too much at stake to let it exist."

Howe probably was not aware of the multiple copies and revisions of Manuscript Found, so it's conceivable that one of those documents did survive, but still, it's a low probability.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 03:36PM

If they had it, they burned it. Nothing can be allowed to interfere with the flow of Mormon money and power.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 02:16PM

If it does exist its collecting dust in the presidents vault...and like the mclellin letters even the afossils dont know its there...the great forger didnt have time to get to it...likely tscc would have paid handsomely to bury that thing...as you examine the Q15 you dont see any scriptorians or historians...just professional bean counters and land aquirers and lawyers who can make the truth anything they say it is...right oaks?....no wonder hoffman had such an easy time duping them...they already had the mclellin letters and didnt know it...so much for knowing anything like the back of their hand...even that big magnifying glass didnt help...maybe they didnt know about the Irock 1.0 at the time..it was in the vault too....surely the rock would have tipped them off...seems jerald tanner was the only one not duped...i have learned to never say never

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 02:33PM

The truest thing about TSCC? There's no fool like an old fool.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.