Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:21PM

Judaism never mentions anything about hell, a concept invented by the great and abominable church and later embraced by the rest of the world's Christian and Muslim sects.

D Michael Quinn has pointed to the likelihood that the teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg influenced HJ's assertion that God really wanted everyone to go to heaven and would never send any of his children to hell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_and_Hell_%28Swedenborg%29

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:23PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> D Michael Quinn has pointed to the likelihood that
> the teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg influenced
> HJ's assertion that God really wanted everyone to
> go to heaven and would never send any of his
> children to hell.

Including Lucifer, I presume?

Date: May 21, 2017 12:27PM

Yes, both Lucifer AND Satan, we could assume.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:33PM

Shummy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> D Michael Quinn has pointed to the likelihood that
> the teachings of Emanuel Swedenborg influenced
> HJ's assertion that God really wanted everyone to
> go to heaven and would never send any of his
> children to hell.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven_and_Hell_%28S
> wedenborg%29

My interpretation is the opposite. Mormonism gives universal salvation, but limits exaltation. Assuming the CK equates with heaven, only a few will make the top degree. Paradise, in Mormonism, is a nice holding pen--

https://www.lds.org/topics/paradise?lang=eng

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:37PM

Has anyone channeled Joseph to confirm that there's no hell? He would know.

Wikipedia: "Others who acknowledge parallels, including Mormon historian Richard Bushman, propose that the similarities between the revelations of Smith and Swedenborg are due to the influence of Paul's writing on both of them."

I'd say it's because Joe read books and "borrowed" any concept that struck his fancy. Besides, people always copy from each other. They just try to do it in a way that doesn't step on toes. In the case of Joseph, toes didn't matter so much.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:44PM

Here's what I found about hell on Chabad.org:

"Dear Rabbi,

Do Jews believe in Hell? I am not planning any trips there or anything, but I have heard conflicting reports about its existence.

Answer:

We do believe in a type of Hell, but not the one found in cartoons and joke books. Hell is not a punishment in the conventional sense; it is, in fact, the expression of a great kindness.

The Jewish mystics described a spiritual place called “Gehinnom.” This is usually translated as “Hell,” but a better translation would be “the Supernal Washing Machine.” Because that’s exactly how it works. The way our soul is cleansed in Gehinnom is similar to the way our clothes are cleansed in a washing machine.

Put yourself in your socks’ shoes, so to speak. If you were to be thrown into boiling hot water and flung around for half an hour, you might start to feel that someone doesn’t like you. However, the fact is that it is only after going through a wash cycle that the socks can be worn again.

We don’t put our socks in the washing machine to punish them. We put them through what seems like a rough and painful procedure only to make them clean and wearable again. The intense heat of the water loosens the dirt, and the force of being swirled around shakes it off completely. Far from hurting your socks, you are doing them a favor by putting them through this process.

So too with the soul. Every act we do in our lifetime leaves an imprint on our soul. The good we do brightens and elevates our soul, and every wrongdoing leaves a stain that needs to be cleansed. If, at the end of our life, we leave this world without fixing the wrongs we have done, our soul is unable to reach its place of rest on high. We must go through a cycle of deep cleansing. Our soul is flung around at an intense spiritual heat to rid it of any residue it may have gathered, and to prepare it for entry into Heaven."

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/1594422/jewish/Do-Jews-Believe-in-Hell.htm

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:55PM

No thanks, God. TSCC already took me to the cleaners.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 01:19PM

Tee hee. You got that right.

"Home can be a heaven on earth," "or living hell." Why doesn't TSCC write a hymn reflecting that truism?

Maybe our "going through the cleaners" is ongoing. :(

Date: May 21, 2017 01:25PM

If there is indeed a hell methinks TBMs should get credit for time already served as an indentured servant of smithian sophistry.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 02:03PM

"Judaism never mentions anything about hell,"

Judaism isn't much of an authority either is it? It's book is man made also. Yes Hell (fire and torment) is a Christian Idea as is a Saviour that was meant to die on a cross for Sin etc.

Christianity itself is not mentioned in Judaism, unless one interprets the old testament to make it fit, in which case Hell (Fire Version too) can hold weight also interpreting from the New Testament.

What happens after death is what it is. Beliefs interpreted from so called Holy Books won't change it IMO.

If I'm wrong I'll take the punishment. I'd deserve it for being wrong.

Religion is just about obeying/believing (supposedly obeying) what a bunch of men who share the same delusion tell you to, isn't it?

However:

In the JW case the leaders don't themselves believe what they tell their members to believe. They back down on Armageddon dates they prior set, just before the date expires of it's own accord. They know it will fail prior. In the past when expectations weren't met, they claimed they did happen but invisibly. Christ returned in 1914 according to JW's. Invisibly, only faithful JW's could see it with the eye of faith.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 12:41AM

But then Joe wasn't raised Mormon.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.