Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 01:51PM

I was browsing through Amazon's music section today (which can take lots of time unless you know what you want)

I see that David Archuleta, 2nd place winner in American Idol, 10 years ago, has a new EP coming out soon.

I know little to nothing of his music; it seems non-offensive and the tracks don't seem too morgish.

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-David-Archuleta/dp/B071DHNQVC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495388554&sr=8-2&keywords=david+archuleta

What I went looking for was this https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B06ZYVBMTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495388986&sr=8-2&keywords=lyle+lovett

I love me some Lyle Lovett.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 01:57PM

Is he the one who changed the lyrics to Imagine to fit his religious beliefs? Heretic!

I used to adore LL. I kinda forgot about him. I should go to you tube and listen to his new stuff. Is there new stuff? LOL

Date: May 21, 2017 06:51PM

Lyle Lovett’s last new release was in 2012, an album called Release Me. He only wrote a couple of songs on it and it was at the end of his 20+ year career with Curb records. For me his work is never less than interesting, sometimes a little repetitive.

I saw him once when I was in Las Vegas and then again after I’d moved back to Utah in 2015. He’s a great performer and writer, especially when he tours with “His Large Band”.

I bought a new Greatest Hits CD (or download) today and it’s great, but nothing I’ve not heard before: https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Hits-Lyle-Lovett/dp/B06ZYVBMTQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495407020&sr=8-2&keywords=lyle+lovett

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 07:03PM

I got the impression that David was only doing church music for a while. Has he decided to return to the mainstream?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 07:05PM

What is an album and EP ?

Date: May 21, 2017 09:11PM

Album usually means it's full length, 10-13 tracks give or take.

An EP means extended play, which means fewer tracks. His new one has just 4 tracks.

I don't know why they're called that--just another factoid that I know that makes no difference in my life :)

Posted by: Rusty Shackleford ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:40AM

It's a catalogue system that has been used for years. From largest to smallest:

LP = long player (usually referred to as an "album" - usually anywhere from 6 to 14 songs, or anywhere from 30-50 minutes, though some exceptions exist)

EP = extended player (4-6 songs, usually under 30 minutes)

Single (or 7" record) = Usually a charting hit with a B-side, though sometimes both songs were charting hits (the famous "double A sides")

For a number of years when CDs were by far the most popular format for music, the "maxi-single" existed somewhere between the EP and the single in size - you'd get a charting song and its B-side, but also possibly a live recording, track from a radio session, or something else that hadn't been released previously.

You also have the oddball formats like 12" singles or 10" EPs & LPs, but those just confuse the system even more.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.