Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 10:23AM

"The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Saturday that two of its missions in Russia will be merged. The combination of the southeast Vladivostok Mission and the southern Novosibirsk Mission will be effective July 1, according to a news release. The merger will bring the number of missions in Russia from seven to six...

...The LDS Church had already taken steps to limit its proselytizing in Russia, after Russian President Vladimir Putin signed into law a measure that regulates religious work."

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5313946-155/lds-church-combines-two-russian-missions

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hwint ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 11:36AM

IIRC, membership in the Russian Orthodox Church is surging. that faith has deep and profound roots in the history and culture of Russia.

Mormonism is gonna have a tough time competing against 1000 years of tradition.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 11:57AM

I agree. In any country where faith and culture are deeply intertwined, Mormonism is going to have a rough go of it. You see this in Russia and Greece (Orthodox,) India (Hindu,) and Japan (Shinto) as well. Even in Italy and France, which are no longer terribly observant countries, most people still consider themselves to be culturally Catholic. Good luck persuading them otherwise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2017 11:58AM by summer.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 12:01PM

Imagine trying this out on a Russian: "In 1820, a young man named Joseph Smith went out to pray in upstate New York."

25 years ago New York was on their list to get nuked.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 05:11PM

Actually, the Russian empire collapsed 27 years ago. However, NY is probably still on the Russian list to get nuked, so there's that.

Besides, of all the reasons those few people that join Mormonism do join, "because I believe the founding mythology" is pretty far down on the list of reasons.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 07:14PM

What does?

It seems Russia has always been a problem for the world.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 07:20PM

Gee, Putin doesn't like an authoritarian system, headed by a some-time benevolent dictator?

I'M SHOCKED, SHOCKED I TELL YOU!!!

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 08:11PM

Mormon newsroom says that merging the Russia Vladivostok Mission with the Russia Novosibirsk Mission will "[require] fewer volunteers to staff the combined mission." No other explanation is given, and the statement is pretty brief. Even if they claim the merge is just because of low staffing, that still doesn't sound like a very good reason from a PR-perspective.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 08:25PM

Well ya'll can rest easy when Jonny Huntsman rides into Moscow.

Godspeed the guvunuh.

I'm sure the Russians will be amused to hear the translation of his name.

Posted by: unbelievable2 ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 09:10PM

I'm shocked the cult got to build a temple in France. Even if missionaries had to leave Russia, the cult still has a presence online and any members left there will be called to pick up their slack underground.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:10AM

Things aren't going well for any non-Orthodox church in Russia.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:22AM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 06:37AM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.