Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: iwenttothewoods ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 12:51PM

The last post on bucket lists really got me thinking about how drastically my old bucket list was driven by Mormonism.

I remember in YWs we would do the time capsule activity where we would write down our goals and a note to our future self for ten years in the future. I would give anything to get ahold of my old time capsules to share exactly what I wrote down. (They are currently in my estranged parents' attic somewhere).

I am pretty sure my list consisted of things like:marry an RM by 26, have three sons, become YW or RS president, get a BS, go on a mission. Etc.

Now my list doesn't even involve having children or marriage. I am not opposed to those ideas, but they aren't things that I currently see as life-defining for me.

Good or bad, my current bucket list items are much more individualistic/selfish. I want to learn as much as possible, experience this globe as much as possible, and strive to shape the world around me in some positive manner. Now I realize that life is short and I want to spend my short time here as a unique human with a unique impact.

Leaving Mormonism had a profound impact on my bucket list. I am curious to see if others had similar experiences. I would love to hear about your bucket lists before and after! If leaving Mormonism didn't change your bucket list then please share too!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 01:17PM

I was pretty ambition driven as a younger woman. Propelled by desire and motivation to earn a college degree and later an advanced degree. My Mormon upbringing as for cultural upbringing where I was born and raised shaped and molded my beliefs about home and family (values.)

Life didn't unfold the way I had planned. Became divorced, single parenthood, etc. My career isn't what I dreamed of doing. It's what I was able to find during a recession, and stayed.

A woman where I once worked had a sign on her desk that read: "I used to think I wanted a career, when what I really wanted was a paycheck." That sums up how I've come to see my working years now. The job/s have been a means to an end as in making a livelihood whereby to support my family, and later on myself.

My wish list was not really big enough to fill a bucket with. It has become modified over the course of a lifetime as needs and goals change. No longer stymied by Mormonism except for how post-Mormonism relates to life, I'm looking toward the future with what's left in store for my life with optimism, trepidation, anticipation and wonderment of what each new day brings.

I try to look at the cup as half-full rather than half-empty in terms of outlook. For the most part I tend to be an optimist.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 01:24PM

The church's bucket list for me (and everyone else -- one size fits all) was so far from any aspirations I had for myself. That's one reason I drifted from the church. If I had remained a good Mormon I would have spent my life doing things I didn't enjoy in order to receive rewards that didn't interest me.

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 02:54PM

After leaving:

Walk perimeter of Central Park
See Iceland, Alaska and northern lights
Attend every Florida Georgia game until I die
Drive pacific coast hiway
Visit Acadia National Park (scheduled in July!)
Walk Machu Picchu

Simple list

Gatorman

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.