Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 09:54PM

For some reason I had a hankering for Primary songs, so now I'm listening to them on YouTube. Yup, and I can't stop. It's like trying to take your eyes off a train wreck. You just have to look.

Most of these songs are sooooo culty. I'm kind of freaking out. Just think, these songs used to be normal.

There's no way in hell I'd take any kids to Primary. The brainwashing is just too crazy. I'm amazed it's legal. So anyway, back to the freak show.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:44PM

Try Laura Bush' easy-to-remember recommendation, "Just say No".

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:48PM

pollythinks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Try Laura Bush' easy-to-remember recommendation,
> "Just say No".

Wasn't it Nancy Reagan who first said this???

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:48PM

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:56PM

Oops.
Thanks, friends.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 12:11AM

Whoever said it, it's brilliant advice, and interesting how it's a new idea to a lot of people, not the automatic default position!

This topic by babyloncansuckit is interesting confirmation to me about something that happened in our lives:

My daughter's honorary grandmother, who is Mormon, was taking her pre-school daughter to sunday school; my daughter assumed it would be fine, little Bible stories, Jesus loves the little children type stuff.

Then she was invited to the year-end program and heard the primary songs being sung, and boy-oh-boy, that was the end of Mormon sunday school being ok with her. Her comment was, "creepy."

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 12:17AM

I dunno, the stuff grows on you. Seems just like old times.

It's not wrong to be bought into all that. As I said before, if it's okay to believe the cult's teachings, it's okay to believe anything. So believe stuff that doesn't suck.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 01:05AM

I'm of the opinion that all those things which strengthen one's attachment to something negative (addictions, cults, bad habits, wrong relationships, unrealistic hopes, etc.) should be discarded. For the alcoholic, this would be souvenir mugs or barware. For a bad relationship, it might be old letters, maybe even photos and mementos (at least put out of sight, in storage).

And for a cult, it's music, books, awards, clothing, and so on.

Babylon, you're feeding an earwig. I suggest you starve it by saturating yourself in other music that really moves you. For me, it's classical and opera (in general), and Schubert's 9th Symphony ("the Great C-major") in particular. If that doesn't do the trick, there's always the 4th Movement of the Saint-Saens 3rd. Ooooooooooooh!

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 06:17PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
If that
> doesn't do the trick, there's always the 4th
> Movement of the Saint-Saens 3rd. Ooooooooooooh!

Caffiend, have you seen/heard the 4th movement performed by Daniel Roth on the organ at Saint-Sulpice with Roth's son conducting the orchestra down below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzCN83XLZco

Posted by: shapeshifter ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 10:00PM

The LDS media indoctrination program advanced a lot in the years between myself and my younger sister (13 years younger) so that even when I was still somewhat involved in the cult it disturbed me the music they had her listening to in her crib.

It was designed for toddler and kindergarten ages. I remember one of the songs she used to just love to dance to and sing a long to.

It went 'I'm a Mormon, yes I am!…' It was to the tune of something famous (can't think of the original song) so not even an original (but as we know Joe Smith also loved to plagiarize, so why not the rest of the folk decades later)..

Anyway it disturbed me because I could see how she was being brainwashed right before my eyes!

I think I even said something to my mom and she acted like my sister chose it herself and that her loving it so much was a testament to the song's (and so the gospel's) 'truthfulness' and nothing to do with something planted in her brain on purpose.

I'll never forget my poor sister dancing along to those songs in her crib. very unsettling.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.