Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 04:14PM

"Gregg Allman, the founding member of the Allman Brothers Band who overcame family tragedy, drug addiction and health problems to become a grizzled elder statesman for the blues music he loved, has died. He was 69.

Allman died at his home in Savannah, Georgia, according to a statement posted to his official website. The statement says Allman had struggled with many health issues over the past several years. Allman's longtime manager and close friend said, "I have lost a dear friend and the world has lost a brilliant pioneer in music.""

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/27/entertainment/gregg-allman-obituary/index.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2017 04:15PM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 05:08PM

In a band that was awash in talent, Greg's greatest asset was his gravely voice which lent credence to the band's brand of white boy blues.

I'm glad I got to see them when they came to Phoenix a few years ago.

Heaven done called another blues singer back home.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: May 29, 2017 09:19AM

Shummy, you are absolutely right about his perfect bluesy voice. I always felt he could bring you into the story of the song. He could also rock the Hammond organ like no other and continued to make the keyboards the backbone of the band.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 06:23PM

Though they were best known for some of their album tracks, the only two Allman Brothers songs that reached the top 40 singles charts were "Ramblin' Man," (#2, October 1973) and "Crazy Love," (#21, May 1979). In addition, Gregg reached the U.S. top 40 as a solo act covering a song that the Allman Brothers recorded on their first album ("Midnight Rider.")

"Crossroads,
Will you ever let him go
Or will you hide the dead man's ghost."
--The Allman Brothers, "Melissa," 1972

Rest in peace.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 06:33PM

I loved, "Melissa." So plaintive and beautiful.

Date: May 27, 2017 06:38PM

The Allmans inspired me to name my daughter Jessica.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 09:22PM

He was only half as old as Mick Jagger.

Date: May 28, 2017 11:22AM

It was told on the news this morning that Allman attributed his strength and tenacity to keep going despite hardships, to his mother.

His dad died when he was two. She struggled to make a life for him and his older brother, Duane, to keep them from going to an orphanage. He resented her for it at first but then came to appreciate later on how much that meant to him. It was her example that encouraged him to keep going even when the odds were stacked against him.

"In My Cross to Bear, Allman reflected on his life and career:
Music is my life's blood. I love music, I love to play good music, and I love to play music for people who appreciate it. And when it's all said and done, I'll go to my grave and my brother will greet me, saying, "Nice work, little brother—you did all right." I must have said this a million times, but if I died today, I have had me a blast.[175]" (Wikipedia)

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 10:52PM

I loved the song " Whipping post", very bluesy

Date: May 28, 2017 11:38PM

Well I think Gregg knew about being tied to the whipping post seeing as how he was married 7 times.

Date: May 29, 2017 04:30AM

Each of his five children was from different mothers. Before reading his obit, I thought he had one child, Cher's.

It was said Cher's celebrity lifestyle made him uncomfortable.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 29, 2017 11:18AM

When it's time for leaving I hope you understand that I was born a ramblin' man.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: May 29, 2017 11:26AM

I thought Elijah Blue was his only child also. I wonder if this is going to bring him and his mother closer. I doubt it though, unless it's a publicity stunt. If I were him, I wouldn't want her back in my life, at least not right away, if the rumors of their estrangement are true.
She doesn't seem to get along with either of her kids

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.