Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 08:43PM

I find it interesting--in the pictures the Morg provided--that the ordinance room shows four rows of chairs on the men's side. Each row has five seats. Repeat that for the women's side. So, at max, 40 people can do a temple session. Wow, that's one expensive, ugly building for those numbers!

http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5314844-155/lds-church-dedicates-paris-temple-in

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 08:55PM

Dozens of people attended! LOL!

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 09:01AM

Devoted Exmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dozens of people attended! LOL!

:)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 01:25AM

dozens could fall into accidental tourists category

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 28, 2017 10:42AM

Hahahaha!!! Yes, it could!

Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 08:56PM

Seems like a high ratio of blacks at the "cultural celebration" compared to the people at the actual temple ceremonies.

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/sltrib/Pages/gallery.csp?cid=5314844&pid=4299608

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 09:06PM

"It's like a dream come true"

Yeah .... a bad dream.

Date: May 22, 2017 05:00PM

A wet dream if you're a TBM Francophile.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 10:11AM

Le Chesnay (where the temple is) was in my "tracting district" for several months when I was "stationed" in Versailles.

On the upside, the Versailles apartment was the best one in the mission. This whole area is very "upscale."

On the downside, it was very close to the mission home (in Le Vesinet), and nobody -- I mean NOBODY -- had any interest in converting. This wasn't Paris with its large immigrant population, and fairly high population of poor and desperate. This was Versailles. Former home of kings, current home of the ridiculously wealthy.

The church press release cracked me up:

"We've worked closely with the architects to make the temple a beacon in the area. The temple is in full harmony with the surrounding area. We want the temple to be not only a blessing for the members but an asset for the whole community."

Yes, an asset that the whole community can't get into, use in any way, and that doesn't pay any taxes. Such an asset to the community.

Mon dieu.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 10:28AM

Do you notice how subtle the sun and moon stones are? I think they feel it's necessary to add them, but don't want people focusing on how Masonic it all is.

In the end, it just looks like another Trump hotel.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:43PM

I've been to Paris a few times. I cannot think of a single building that looks like this. It rather reminds me of the way they initially covered the melted reactor at Tchernobyl.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 01:50PM

The more temples that get built and dedicated, the more it feels like a way to spend money on appearances. Most of the far flung temples are never busy, so it seems more of a way to show the membership that things are just fine, "see we're growing" and all is fine in Zion.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 05:52AM

That's exactly what I replied to my (French) wife when she asked me why LDS was bothering with a temple in France. It's a message to members, not to the outside world.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 06:40AM

It's totally to shore up the faltering members. Mormoning is harder here in France and the numbers don't justify a temple. I think the leadership learned that recommends and therefore better compliance from membership might come with an in-country temple.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 03:46PM

The article title in the church news is: 'Miracles Witnessed during Paris France Temple Open House'

Then you get to the text and read: “And all along, the hoped-for miracles came: many were ‘fascinated by the experience’ or ‘seized by something [they] had never felt,’ while a few even reported seeing through the veil as they saw deceased ancestors and loved ones while pondering in the celestial room.”

I guess the bar has been really lowered when being fascinated counts as a miracle...

Date: May 22, 2017 05:02PM

It's a miracle anybody came...

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 05:08PM

We need thumbs up/down as per other forums. Consider this a thumbs up.

Date: May 23, 2017 06:37AM

There was pressure on members. Our friends weren't planning on it because the mother is chronically ill, but they were strongly advised to attend and they caved.

Date: May 23, 2017 09:42AM

windyway, is it too revealing to ask what region you're in?
Were you around in 79-80?
Just curious :)
I was there in the France-Paris mission then.
It would warm my heart to know a member I knew then was posting here!

Date: May 27, 2017 01:02PM

I was a wee one then and growing up in Texas.

My husband was baptised in 90 in Toulon, and we have been in the Mulhouse ward for five years.

Sorry to disappoint, but I do probably know someone you know!

Date: May 30, 2017 12:19PM

The Babin family from Versailles...
Richard family from Caen...

The former is well-known. The dad was stake president when I was there. His son later became mission president for the France-Paris mission, he was just a little kid when I was there. :)

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:33PM

It's about the real estate. That's how Ray Kroc took over the McDonalds franchise. His accountant was very clever and got him to buy the real estate that the franchise was placed on.

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 05:07AM

There's not much to say beyond that.

Date: May 23, 2017 06:35AM

The temple stuff in Paris accellerated the inactivity of our family. Our ward was expected to fabricate costumes and I didn't want to burden the sisters with sewing four youth costumes for kids with only potential marginal interest with parents who had zero interest.

So I had to come out to my president, since I was serving in YW. Also, not being able to sincerely teach of priesthood restoration was an important factor.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 03:03PM

tomorrow. One of his friends and I were teasing him about going to the open house. Sounds like he missed out. ha ha ha

I think it would be funny if he posted picture of his boyfriend and him in front of the temple on fb so my TBM daughter can see where her father is and that he has a new boyfriend.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 03:17PM

The LDS Church has about 38,000 members in more than 100 congregations in France. Many are second-, third- and fourth-generation Mormons, the release states.

The current population of France is 64,901,903 as of Saturday, May 13, 2017, based on the latest United Nations estimates.

.0005854% of population is Mormon.

Wow, really making an impact.

Date: May 23, 2017 03:21PM

It's worse than that.
Because probably only about 1/3rd of the church's declared "members" are actually active.

Let's be generous, and say there are 14,000 active members in France...

That makes it .02%.

(you appear to have forgotten to multiply your result by 100 to get %, yours should have been .0585% :)

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 07:15PM

Cumorah.com estimates that there are 8000 active members in France
http://www.cumorah.com/index.php?target=view_country_reports&story_id=160

"Nationwide active membership is estimated at 8,000, or 22-25% of total LDS membership."

Date: May 23, 2017 07:26PM

They must be special to get a temple. Are they "tithing worthy?"

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 11:16AM

Not a very good ROI on that one.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 07:56PM

It just makes me ill to think of the kind of money they spend on these worthless monstrosities when they know that the temple ceremony is a hugeass hoax. To think of what a sacrifice it was for us to pay 10% of our income when we were young married, the things it took away from our kids. To see my parents in a horrible positions because of giving LDS, Inc. so much money over the years that they can't afford assisted living. And what do they do with that money? This. It's just sick.

There is so much need in the world. There is so much need in their church. And instead of answering that need, they compound it by telling needy people they have to give more. And those people know they need the "blessings" so they can't afford NOT to give money they don't have. The geezer brigade should all be in jail along with Bernie Madoff. They have swindled way more people than he even did.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 12:26AM

Oh the architecture! The Church of Latter-Day Merde ..

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 01:54AM

Zut!

(Barf!)

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 12:43PM

I have two friends who volunteered as ushers, both smiling broadly.

Posted by: logged out today ( )
Date: May 26, 2017 12:54PM

But on the bright side, no French peasants were (known to have been) asked to donate their gold fillings.

Posted by: Puppet ( )
Date: May 27, 2017 11:06AM

Nooooo!! They're corrupting the hard won liberation of the french. Haven't they had enough after centuries of Catholicism?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.