Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 06:55AM

She beat breast cancer in 1992 - it went into remission. She lost her father to cancer at the same time she was diagnosed with hers. Her treatment included a modified radical mastectomy at the time. She rebounded from that and refocused her career on performing both her classic songs she made popular from the 70's and 80's. As well as becoming a healer through music, art and dance.

She founded the Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Center in Melbourne, Australia to promote natural healing and preventive lifestyles to combat cancer.

Her sister, Rona Newton-John, passed away in 2013 from a battle with brain cancer, at 70.

Olivia's breast cancer has returned, and this time metastasized to her sacrum.

"Earlier this month, daughter Chloe Lattanzi posted a message on Instagram asking for prayers. “I love u mama … Will all of u send healing prayers for my mamas back please,” she wrote May 17. “I believe in the power of positive thinking and energy. Love u all.”

Along with natural wellness therapies, the entertainer will be treated with a “short course of photon radiation therapy,” adds the statement. Newton-John is “confident she will be back later in the year, better than ever, to celebrate her shows.”

“I decided on my direction of therapies after consultation with my doctors and natural therapists and the medical team at my Olivia Newton-John Cancer Wellness and Research Centre in Melbourne, Australia,” says Newton-John in the statement."

http://people.com/music/olivia-newton-john-diagnosed-breast-cancer-metastasized-sacrum/

"Last fall Newton-John released an album with Amy Sky and Beth Nielsen Chapman, “Liv On,” that was inspired by their experiences with loss and illness, including the death of Newton-John's sister.

“It’s to help people through grief and through healing, whatever time it takes you,” she told Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford in October.

Tuesday’s statement noted that Newton-John will reschedule her postponed concert dates in the coming weeks."

http://www.today.com/health/olivia-newton-john-postpones-tour-dates-due-breast-cancer-battle-t112138

Oncologists weighing in are saying her odds are 'very good' at beating this again, but may take years up to ten, to put this behind her once and for all.

"“It’s a very long time from her primary [diagnosis] and that usually means that it’s very treatable, and you can put it into long term remission,” explains Carolyn Runowicz, an oncologist and associate dean at the Herbert Wertheirm College of Medicine at Florida International University, who is not treating Newton-John. “It’s never good news to have a recurrent tumor — that’s devastating to the patient. But the further out you are from your initial diagnosis, the better the prognosis.”

Doctors have diagnosed the star, 68, with breast cancer that has metastasized to the sacrum (a bone in the lower back), according to a statement the singer posted on Facebook. She has also put her U.S. and Canadian concert tour on hold after initially postponing two weeks ago because of severe back pain from what she thought was sciatica.

“We’re lucky that there’s new drugs being developed and new treatments over time that make a difference, but this is something that 10 years of her life will be about trying to control this,” says Laura Esserman, director of the Carol Franc Buck Breast Care Center. “Part of anybody’s treatment should be about how you can handle every day in spite of the situation you find yourself in.”"

http://people.com/music/olivia-newton-john-cancer-experts/

My thoughts and prayers are with her and her family during this critical time.

I learned in 2012 through my Israeli cousin that she and I are cousins through our common Jewish heritage. It was stunning to me, having grown up listening to her music as a teenager and loving and crying along with her famous hit songs. We share other things in common. I've been a singer song-writer. Both our fathers are of Welsh heritage, our mothers, as does she and I, share a common Jewish ancestry.

Her daughter Chloe is roughly the same age as my children are. Even though we've never met, I feel as though I know her through her songs and music.

Love you, Olivia! May the forces of love, positive energy and healing return to her again and again. She's brought so much joy and inspiration to others through her music, how can it not return to her tenfold?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2017 06:58AM by Amyjo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 08:31AM

I have always liked Olivia Newton John. Metastatic breast cancer is often times treatable, but usually not curable. Her struggles continue sadly. I hope she does well with her treatments and that she can remain positive about her life.

Date: May 31, 2017 09:24AM

I hope she does too.

Just read she lost her mother to cancer as well.

Both her parents, and then her sister.

She had her mother longer than her dad.

Olivia was very close to her sister. It was like losing her best friend when she died four years ago.

http://people.com/music/olivia-newton-john-cancer-heartbreak-ups-downs/

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 10:12AM

Sad news. Evil cancer.

Date: May 31, 2017 11:55AM

Indeed.

She has a fighting chance. That's the best one can hope for at this juncture.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 12:24PM

If the mets stay limited to her bones, she has a good chance of many many years. It's when it goes to the organs that prognosis is grimmer.

That said, this is not curable.

But bone mets can be very painful. At this point, if its just one area of bone mets, she is fortunate

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 12:39PM

I hope she and others fighting this vicious disease experience healing and health. It sounds like she has genuine concerns for others and has used her wealth to provide care and hope for many others. Thoughts and prayers for her and all impacted by cancer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 31, 2017 12:44PM

Good luck to her.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.