Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Red ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 11:07PM

Mormon polygyny is pretty well documented. Well, by real historians, not the BS the church puts out. I am curious about the much less common practice of polyandry in early LDS history.

As I understand it, in the Nauvoo era, it was largely an excuse for JS to boff married women. If there is more to it, however, I'd be curious about the history and theology behind it.

I've also read scattered examples of the practice during BY's time in Utah. Would anyone know the how and why of the practice back then? Was it due to a theological excuse, infertility of the male spouse, or something else? When did it officially end? Presumable it was well before 1890.

Anyway, I am just curious. If anyone has any insights, or source materials I can read, that would be great. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: June 08, 2017 11:13PM

I'm glad you brought this up because I need the link to the church library to read their essays.

Idk if you guys know about the Youtuber, Ethan Hansen Efrog Industries, but I just watched one of his videos on May 13, 2017 with two missionaries and he brought a lot of stuff up and the church library. Apparently, LD$ Inc. published more 'anti-Mormon' literature than anyone else because they simply have to with all the stuff coming out that puts the church in a bad spotlight.

Date: June 09, 2017 12:35AM

Thanks for the note. I am intrigued about the library you referenced too. I am not familiar with the Youtuber you mentioned, but I will check it out.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 09:56AM

The Church Essays "libary" is linked to in a sticky post on the first page of this forum:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1180178

Date: June 09, 2017 11:38PM

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: June 09, 2017 12:33PM

You won't get the unadulterated details in the essays. I dove deep into this topic about 20 years ago from several books.

Polygamy/polyandry and the deceitful way it was practiced is what initially troubled me a lot about the church. Several of the books went quite deep into the doctrinal rational used by Smith for his excesses.

I can't find some of the books I read listed on-line. I will try to find them when I get time tonight and share them here. One was "Mormon Polygamy:A History" by Ricard Van Wagoner.

After finding out about J. Smiths sexual escapades I discovered the many other intentionally hidden problems associated with Mormonism.

Date: June 09, 2017 11:41PM

If you would post some titles, that would be great. Thank you. :)

I looked up the book by Wagoner and it appears there are a few mentions of polyandry in said.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 02:46AM

I found another one by Lawrence Foster called "Religion and Sexuality". There isn't much on polyandry but there are 4 or 5 pages starting on page 160.

As for getting inside the thinking of Joseph Smith as to his reasons for his actions toward women, I think he was sort of thinking from between his legs. I believe he found justifications to appease his conscience that appeared to be supported by divine purpose. That is just my take on things.

Grant Palmer draws the same conclusions when you look at the sum total of the evidence. I believe his reputation for being a womanizer began very early on.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 10, 2017 11:57AM

Although the women who called him on it, such as Nancy Rigdon, were viscously slandered. And he liked the young ones, such as his foster daughters, the Lawrence sisters. The $8000 paid for their care didn't go quite as far as intended.

Mistresses and concubines under the color of made-up (and illegal) celestial marriage. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.