Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 04:38PM

It's something that my TBM dad needs and I don't know where to find them. The diapers that the doctor gave him keep slipping! Can anyone here out here!!?? Does such an item exist??

Thanks!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:11PM

Google: incontinence garment suspenders

Google: medical supplies stores, [your state]

These can be ordered online, or in medical supplies stores in your general area, now that you know what they are called (at least on Google)!

One way or the other, you should be able to get some into your house pretty fast.

Date: June 14, 2017 05:13PM

Would Norco carry them?

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:15PM

Anonymous 2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would Norco carry them?

I have no idea what Norco is.

You could phone them and ask. (This is what I would do.)

Date: June 14, 2017 05:16PM

Norco is a medical supply store that serves the public.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 05:19PM

Well, if you want to use suspenders, they are available on line. But, in my case (for an adult male in my family), for the last couple of months we used disposable man-sized diapers, which were held on by wide, blue, sticky-tape (about 2-3" wide).

These diapers are available in "health-care" stores.

The additional supporting tape is available in hardware stores, and it is used for many things (one of which is to cover window edges, when painting the window wooden sides).

Good luck.

P

Posted by: Titanic Survivor ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 06:26PM

I should think you could invent something using stout elastic or varying kinds of elastic from a fabric store, maybe some clips of some kind, fabric and so on. Invent and correct as you go. Doesn't sound complicated.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 06:54PM

Suspenders can be a problem with adult diapers. If the adult diaper is wet and it touches any part of the bottom of the suspender they will become wet also.

We used wide sticky strips that fastened on each side.

There must be some type that will stay put. Call around. There are places that supply items through Visiting Nurses also.

Posted by: fixin it up ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 07:38PM

If it were me, I'd probably get a bunch of white tee-shirts, whatever style is comfortable, and safety pin to the diaper; two in front, two in back, through the tee & diaper in a double-thread. When the tee gets wet, easy enough to throw in the washer and dryer, and probably would be more comfortable than suspenders next to the skin. Wally world, maybe a dozen of them, and some big safety pins.

And FYI, baby wipes for a quick thorough cleaning are a lot more affordable than what they sell for adults. -Gentle enough for babies' bottoms.

Hope it helps.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 08:06PM

Good suggestions. I forgot to mention a couple of others:

1. Disposable "diapers" are the only way to go. Don't get bogged down by endless soiled cloth diapers.

2. Also, one can put a disposable sheet-protection cover on the bottom sheet, which are available for purchase. These make it possible not to have to change sheets so often. (Instead, just need to through away the soiled one, and lay a new one down.)

3. (If possible), get a portable potty seat, which has a hole in the middle of the seat, which leads to a bucket. The person using this seat can (often) clean himself with regular toilet paper, or (if needed) and aid can provide this service.
Then, the bucket's contents can be poured into a regular toilet (and flushed away).

4. Keep baby wipes availed for use on one's private parts, and to use as washcloths for cleaning the persons hands.

---
Hope all this helps. It got us through a tough(!) time.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 12:37AM

I had to get my Mom through the same situation. Don't just settle for one kind of disposable diaper. There are several different brands on the market. Some work better than others.

On the "wipes," if your Dad isn't able to take care of this himself, try to use "sensitive skin" types, as the skin in that area can become VERY sensitive, and even the "sensitive skin" ones can burn like blazes. Let Dad's reaction on this one guide you, if he is able to communicate.

It's too bad most of us don't believe in Heaven. I think there should be a special place there for those of us who have had to be caretakers to adult parents. (Or spouses, in that case.)

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: June 14, 2017 08:12PM

Can you get your dad adult pullups? They're like underpants, but you throw them away.

Other Susan

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 15, 2017 12:58AM

Regular suspenders don't work ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.