Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 05:24PM

Ouch!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 05:34PM

When my daughter got married we paid for everything, including the bridesmaid dresses.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 06:07PM

Bridezilla

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 06:16PM

LDS inc asks its MORmON members to pay for ......EVERYTHING THAT MORmON Leaders want including a 5 billion dollar mall for Hinckley.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 06:17PM

So glad I don't have friends like that.

Leaving, that was nice. Most people have no compunction asking the bridesmaids to shell out hundreds of dollars for a dress for someone else's wedding that they'll never wear again.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 07:39PM

My daughter scoured the different department store websites until she found a dress that would look good at her wedding and that the girls could wear again. I think we paid less than $100 per dress.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 06:25PM

What nerve!

What a self-centered person.

I hope they said, 'No way'.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 07:21PM

They're all nuts. Apparently the bridesmaids were encouraging the bride to "go for it" when she was contemplating the $10.5K dress. Who would do that, unless you knew that the bride and/or her family were wealthy and had an unlimited budget?

I was always grateful that I was never asked to be a bridesmaid. I could not have afforded it. When my best friends from college were married, I was not even able to attend due to the distance and the cost. But they had modest weddings anyway.

I would never, ever ask for someone to pay for an expensive dress of my choosing. I think that is rude. IMO prospective bridesmaids need to go over costs and expectations with the bride before they commit.

Posted by: bullocks ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 08:03PM

What is WRONG with people?!

$10.5k is too much for a one-wear rag. Sorry, but there are very pretty dresses for a small fraction of that. We are talking about CLOTH.

And while I'm at it, they can shove their diamonds, the most idiotic scam ever. I'm a woman, and would be absolutely outraged if my ring were diamond. What a waste. Give me an honest, kind, smart fella - there's MY diamond.

Thanks for tuning in. Tomorrow on "Pet Peeves," we'll be discussing and cussing the...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 08:59PM

That would be the time I'd gift the bride a $50 target gift card, and inform her I won't be in her wedding.
And I'd tell her if she asks why. :)

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 10:15PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would be the time I'd gift the bride a $50
> target gift card, and inform her I won't be in her
> wedding.
> And I'd tell her if she asks why. :)

LOL!!! Hie, I always love your posts! :-)

And back on topic, I would give that greedy, selfish woman an EMPTY gift card... surprise!!!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 10:52PM

You two are just toooo much! How about giving her an EBT card? "I think there's some value left on it...the password is, is...wait, I have it here somewhere..."

Something I've always wanted to do: Pick up a bunch of lottery scratch tickets from the trash at a 7-11. Then, during the reception, clink-clink-clink the champagne glass, rise to my feet, and make this announcement:

"Folks, for _____________ and _________'s wedding, and to start them off, I have in my hand $1,000 in lottery tickets!" (I would expect a little applause, even if a bit uncertain.) "Now we all know ____________ and __________ have better things to do tonight than scratch lottery tickets, so I scratched them all myself to check for winners. And--sorry to have to report this--there weren't any. But here they are. You can use them for a tax deduction, I think."

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 11:07PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You two are just toooo much! How about giving her
> an EBT card? "I think there's some value left on
> it...the password is, is...wait, I have it here
> somewhere..."
>
> Something I've always wanted to do: Pick up a
> bunch of lottery scratch tickets from the trash at
> a 7-11. Then, during the reception,
> clink-clink-clink the champagne glass, rise to my
> feet, and make this announcement:
>
> "Folks, for _____________ and _________'s wedding,
> and to start them off, I have in my hand $1,000 in
> lottery tickets!" (I would expect a little
> applause, even if a bit uncertain.) "Now we all
> know ____________ and __________ have better
> things to do tonight than scratch lottery tickets,
> so I scratched them all myself to check for
> winners. And--sorry to have to report this--there
> weren't any. But here they are. You can use them
> for a tax deduction, I think."

Ha ha ha!!! Absolutely perfect caffiend!!! :-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:48AM

How nice of you to save them the work of scratching! ;-)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 10:58PM

Actually she wanted $150.00 from each bridesmaid, not a free dress as implied.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 26, 2017 11:23PM

Yeah, but who does that? Bad enough that they were already paying $550 for their bridesmaids dresses along with the other expenses.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:45AM

I bought my wedding dress from a little wedding dress shop on South Temple. $300.00. For the bridesmaid's dresses, I bought material, ribbon, and lace and they sewed the dresses themselves because each one knew how to sew. If I were one of those bridesmaids, I would tell her bye bye, and exactly what she could with that dress.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 02:00PM

This bride needs class from my BFF, I was the maid of honor and had to attend 6 showers for her. She said by something for a household and personal shower, as you leave each I will hand it back to you and you can rewrap and bring to the next one. Only other person attending all the showers is my mother and she will think it is funny.

So I got two things and gave one to her 4 times and the other twice.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 08:13AM

Weddings are so stupid IMO. Is it because I am a man? I just don't understand the appeal of spending so much money for one day of exhaustion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.