Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 12:02AM

Claimed memnbership: 148.9k

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/facts-and-statistics/country/australia

Census result 2016: 61.6k (0.3%)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Australia

There are 312 congregations in Australia, which means that each congregation has about 200 people who self identify as mormon and close to 500 people on their mailing list aka membership roll. A clean up of the membership roll is long overdue.

Unfortunately, the number of self identifying mormons in Australia stubbornly continued to grow. The only other Christian denomination that grew were Pentecostals. You win this time Monson!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:05AM

Hilarious.
Buddhists make up 2.4% of Australia's population.
Mormons make up 0.3% -- 8 times less than Buddhists.

But the stone keeps rolling on, right? ;-)

My g-g-grandmother was polygamous wife #2 of g-g-grandfather, and she converted to Mormonism in Australia and made her way to Utah. Maiden name Banks.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:28AM

I also suffer from a bit of a stammer.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:29AM

:) That made me laugh out loud, cludgie.

I'll add to my post above that mormons have *thousands* of missionaries in Australia actively working to convert people to mormonism.
Buddhists have zero missionaries in Australia.
And they're more prominent than mormons.
How about that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2017 10:30AM by ificouldhietokolob.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:41PM

That was interesting. My great grandparents joined the church in Australia. Family lore (a crazy grandmother) was that he was there because he was a ship's captain. They joined, he captained the ship that brought them to America and then they migrated to Utah, moved to Price area to work the coal mines.

Nope. He was in Australia because he was caught with the wrong woman and sent there. Then apparently the coal mines had some deal with the church (or maybe were owned by the church), and mishies would go to Austrialia and convert people who couldn't move back to England, with promises of passport to America and a job when they got there. And his "captaining" of the ship was work on the ship for steerage.

And they all died of black lung or in g-gandfather's case, horrible oral cancer, all from years in the mines.

Posted by: Jacktired ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 03:59AM

A few years ago I remember reading an article that said Australia would be the 9th country in the world to have a majority Atheist population.

The number of units per stake is a lot less than I remember. Stakes used to have 7-9 wards from memory and 1 or 2 branches but now it might be 4-6 wards and 0-1 branches. I may be wrong and will stand corrected if shown otherwise.

I see from my own experience which is only anecdotal that the core of the membership has changed. The entire leadership and bulk of the members were white Australian, white collar workers and some white blue collar workers with a few token others for diversity.

Now it seems a bulk of the members do not fit that mould and getting people to take callings and carry the burden are left to 20% or even less of the membership with many having multiple callings while watching their friends walk away and express doubts.

Aussies are too smart, too overworked and have too many social contacts outside the church to give their entire lives to TSCC.

Even though many may be raised in the church and stay for decades, you could put equal money on every single member that:

None born in the church will die in the church.

You wouldn't be right in every case but you would make money hand over fist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.