Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: JBF ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 08:03AM

Or so many are saying.

This is only indirectly by the way.

This has more to do with the increased activity of earthquakes and Yellowstone National Park land uplifting by as much as 1 foot in places. Many are saying that Yellowstone which is really an active volcano is about to erupt. And Utah is very much in the blast zone of this volcano.

IF Yellowstone does indeed erupt in the very near future, Utah would be wiped out. So, what do you think the TSCC would say about such an event???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 08:40AM

It's justified punishment for accepting gays.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 08:49AM

I doubt we are going to see anything from Yellowstone. There is just too much energy being released on a constant basis to allow for any buildup.

Now... if everything went quiet, and old faithful stopped, and the hot springs went cold... then it would be time to worry.

I believe the New Madrid fault would go before Yellowstone... that's the other big disaster waiting to happen... and it's been rather quiet.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 08:57AM

Supposedly it erupts every 600,000 years or so in a huge explosion, and were several tens of thousands of years overdue. That whole section of Wyoming is one extremely huge volcano. It would wipe out most of the region, including Utah and parts of Idaho. I would lose two of my children. It would make much of the US uninhabitable.

One should take a lesson from even the possibility of this: Any one country, no matter how large, prosperous, or important, is only ever one large natural disaster away from irrelevance and total change. It would be a real comeuppance.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:44PM

"It would be a real comeuppance."

I'm speechless. That's beautiful.

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:29AM

For earthquakes, going quiet is a sign that energy is building

For volcanoes, having earthquakes is a sign that energy is building, not a sign energy is released.

http://www.earthobservatory.sg/faq-on-earth-sciences/what-are-principal-signals-volcanic-unrest-how-can-we-forecast-volcanic

Everything going quiet in Yellowstone would be an indicator that the volcano is going dormant.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 09:17AM

JBF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you
> think the TSCC would say about such an event???

It is time to begin the trek to Jackson County, Missouri.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:16AM

Should I build a handcart in my back yard?

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 12:35AM

If I recall, the revelation is that Missouri will be wiped clean of all living things before the 2nd coming. When mormons move there it makes me laugh. They obviously haven't read their scriptures.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 09:18AM

I've noticed on this board a sudden angst about Yellowstone. Weird.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:45AM

I've seen a number of them in the past week or two.

Buried in the pieces is the information that these swarms are not at all unusual.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 01:59PM

Don't go anywhere near it...

I mean, this summer you'll be able view to a total solar eclipse (talk about a harbinger of doom!), and whoever would want to do that?

SLC
Hoping to be able to find some uncrowded trout streams because seeing the eclipse is strictly a one day activity

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 12:15AM

SL cabbie, may you catch your legal limit.

As for me, there is a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 09:27AM

My husband and I have been to Yellowstone many times over the years because it's one of our favorite places to visit. There's no place like it anywhere in the world, IMO. It's beautiful, and it's also full of danger to the unwary traveler. When you enter the park, you're given brochures on using common sense so that you can make your visit there safe and enjoyable; don't get close to the wild animals, stay on the walkways in the hot pools and geyser areas, etc. There is one area, though, where I try to tread lightly though (as though that will do any good) in the Norris Geyser area. You are literally walking on top of a huge, beautiful blue hot pool that is very deep. The last time we were there in 2015, I bought a book titled: "Super Volcano" The Ticking Time Bomb Beneath Yellowstone National Park. It says that if Yellowstone blows like it did millions of years ago, "It would rock the earth with the power of thousands of nuclear explosions, cover the western United States with volcanic ash, wipe out much of the world's food supply,and threaten the lives of millions." So it wouldn't just be Salt Lake City being wiped out. They have been measuring and monitoring the temperatures beneath the ground daily for the past couple of years that I know of.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:26AM

Just last year a tourist fell into one of the bubbling ponds. She was scalded to death almost immediately The police couldn't fetch her body out immediately, and within a few hours her body dissolved in the water due to heat and acidic minerals. So yeah, it's pretty dangerous.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 03:05PM

has survived. There were 2 workers several years ago who fell in.

I haven't been up for quite a few years, but my neighbors just went up last weekend. They told me that last year Old Faithful didn't blow very high, that they were hoping it would be higher this year.

Posted by: Sassafras ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 04:58PM

Actally it was a young man looking for a place to hot-tub with his sister. He was killed pretty much instantly and his body dissolved soon after with just a few personal effects remaining behind. The gruesome details are available by searching on Google for those so inclined. I feel sorry for him and his sister who watched him fall in. Their decision to leave the safe trail to do this was a terrible mistake with fatal consequences.

Yellowstone is one of my favorite places in the world, but it is NOT an amusement park for the careless and haphazard.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 09:30AM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 09:39AM

The so called prediction for a next eruption could be tens of thousands or a hundred thousand years away, if that.

No one really knows.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:03AM

I clearly remember SWK accurately forewarning saints about Mt. Saint Helens pending eruptions. Likewise, you can bet your cotton dollars that TSM will give a timely warning to SLC prior to Yellowstone's big blow! <grin>

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:36AM

So Yellowstone is going to give us one hell of a big blow job? LOL!

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:13AM

When Yellowstone erupts, Human life on earth will likely end. So I may be best to be killed instantly by hot ash and smoke. the alernative is slowly starving after food production is wiped out by lake of sunlight.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:28AM

One of my grown children lives next door to an active volcano.

My nerves were cooked a long time ago.

:/

Date: June 27, 2017 10:31AM

Not only would Utah be wiped out, so would the Rocky Mountain states. Most of North America would be enveloped in ash. It's been compared to a nuclear winter were that to happen.

That would be a Doomsday scenario.

Don't sweat the small stuff !

There isn't anything you can do about it, so why worry?

Posted by: Bang ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 10:31AM

When Yellowstone blows, it will be a lot more than Salt Lake and Utah that is destroyed.

Date: June 27, 2017 10:59AM

"The USGS says the current risk of an eruption at Yellowstone is one in 730,000. Furthermore, if it were to erupt, the eruption produced would probably be fairly inconsequential. Lowenstern explains: “If Yellowstone erupts, it's most likely to be a lava flow, as occurred in nearly all the 80 eruptions since the last ‘supereruption’ 640,000 years ago. A lava flow would be a big deal at Yellowstone, but would have very little regional or continental effect.”

http://www.newsweek.com/yellowstone-supervolcano-earthquake-swarm-update-eruption-risk-629272

Date: June 27, 2017 11:03AM

Business insider writes, "The eruption would likely cover the ground with as much as 4 inches of gray ash, which could be detrimental to crops growing in the Midwest.

"Along with the ash, the supervolcano would spew a whole bunch of gasses, including sulfur dioxide, a gas that can lead to acid rain as well as global cooling as it reflects the sun away from the Earth.

"The explosion likely wouldn't wipe out human life, but it certainly would be destructive, especially to the western half of the US."

Date: June 28, 2017 10:49PM

But wouldn't it clear way for some new growth?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:38AM

Okay, this EXMO Yellowstone eschatology is freaking me out! Bring back Yogi Bear, Boo-boo, and Jellystone! Ranger Rick's Boner.

Date: June 27, 2017 11:46AM

And Smoky the Bear !

He was our fire ranger in grade school. I grew up in the shadow of the Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone was right across the border from there.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:52AM

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted by: montanadude ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 11:46AM

I live in Bozeman and spend lots of time in Yellowstone for my job (work for the non-profit partner) and recreating. These articles come out every year and create lots of fodder for tourists. Montana also has its share of survivalists and active earthquakes become the topic of discussion in small town coffee shops and bars.

If you get an opportunity, go see a lecture by Dr. Robert Smith from the U of U seismograph station. He tracks seismic activity in Yellowstone and does a great presentation of the Caldera's history and daily activity. He also seems to enjoy including a little fear that it might blow any day.

Either way, I have a bottle of High West Whiskey stashed away for when it does blow.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 12:30PM

If you look into super volcano programs aired by the Discovery or Smithsonian network, you might come away with a better understanding of what nature has in store for us, when we don't know.

In one of these programs, a super volcano event, the population of the earth went from millions to less than 1,000 in a relatively short time.

Very scary.

Date: June 28, 2017 01:01AM

It's not scary if you're dead. It's only scary if you survive, and then have to deal with the aftermath. After watching hurricane Katrina coverage, I came to the conclusion that anyone who is old, young, or sick is better off not surviving these events.

Date: June 27, 2017 01:42PM

Scriptures say the earth will be cleansed by fire in the last days. Versus the flood that cleansed it by water during Noah's.

There's more than one way to achieve that. Yellowstone is one of several possibilities where the earth will destroy itself by fire.

Although I have a hunch if anything that doomsday were to happen, humankind will be implicated in speeding it up.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 02:04PM

Global warming is the "fire" bit... and that idiot moron Trump is speeding it up drastically.

He's recently gave all the coal power plants their licenses back!

What an imbecile.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 07:24PM

Scriptures say? Are you joking?

Date: June 28, 2017 10:50PM

Is there any way the world could end that wouldn't fulfill scripture?

Date: June 28, 2017 11:18PM

We'll probably have to give Al Gore a gazillion more dollars so he can save us. LOL!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 02:58PM

We're close enough to it that it'll probably leave a mark when it blows...

Date: June 28, 2017 10:51AM

I have a replica of the Dancing Faun statue from Pompeii I bought in Italy. Maybe the thing is cursed and is somehow drawing attention to the nearest volcano. I hope not.

https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/dancing-faun-statue-house-pompeii-98435258

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 03:24PM

A Yellowstone bukkake?

Huh, huh?

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 04:02PM

Yellowstone is not the only old volcano which can erupt. Several years ago on a flight to Grand Junction, the woman sitting next to me said she and her husband planned a move away from there because her husband was involved in determining the safety of the Grand Mesa nearby and believed it would erupt SOON.

Date: June 27, 2017 04:54PM

There are many volcanos on the West Cost of the US with many Volcanos that can erupt at any time.

Mt Shasta in Washington State is due for an eruption at any time. It's not a matter of if. It's a matter of WHEN. It will erupt! And if it does, it could send mud flows (called lahaars) possibly as far as Seattle.

There is another caldera volcano in California called the Long Caldera volcano (near Mammoth Lake) that could erupt at any time as well.

In New Mexico, in Monument Valley, are many volcanic plugs. But these volcanos are not extinct. They could erupt at any time as well.

Not to metion, Mt Lasen (CA), Mt St Helens as well as many other volcanos that are due to erupt.

Back to Mt Shasta, they say this one is a ticking time bomb.

Posted by: Sassafras ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 05:07PM

Sorry, I'm really not trying to be Miss Know It All, but Mt. Shasta is located in Northern California. Mt. Rainier is the volcano that threatens Seattle with lahars.

Date: June 28, 2017 12:59AM

Yep.
Who would have ever thought Mt. St. Helens would blow when it did, and like it did?

We've a gaggle of volcanos that most people don't think about. Mt. Hood, Mt. Baker, Mt Rainier, and on and on.

When and if this happens in my lifetime, I selfishly hope that i'm one of the first to go. I have zero interest in surviving any major super volcano. I did survive Mt. St. Helens just fine though. I recall watching it as we sat on the deck grilling steaks for dinner.

Two weeks later I had a difficult time coming home from work because everything was black and I couldn't see 5ft in front of my headlights because of all the ash. Then I had to worry about my engine being destroyed from the intake of ash (silica). Turns out all of it worked out just fine. I survived.

I also survived the big Earthquake in 2001 in Seattle. My house was rocking like a ship in a storm at sea. It seemed like it would never end. My daughter and I stayed put in a doorway at the top of the stair landing. It was an incredible thing to experience. We were lucky that there was zero damage to our house. I thought for sure it would be knocked off its foundation.
My hubby was working downtown Seattle near the epicenter of the quake. He said the parking lot out front looked like ocean waves that were lifting and receding. There were huge cracks, and then they would go back to normal. He's from the midwest and had never been in an earthquake. An event to remember.

We all survived just fine though.

Date: June 28, 2017 10:42AM

You're right. Mt Shasta IS IN Northern California near Mt Lassen. Both of which are active volcanos.

Thanks for the correction.

Date: June 28, 2017 10:52PM

But it won't be in Northern California after it blows, which I think was your point.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 27, 2017 06:02PM

JBF Wrote:
-
> In New Mexico, in Monument Valley, are many
> volcanic plugs. But these volcanos are not
> extinct. They could erupt at any time as well.

I doubt this is accurate about NM. IDK about Monument Valley. Our volcanoes are pretty much extinct and I would have remembered my geology prof telling us about any dormant or active volcanoes in our state. I'll have to ask my live-in geologist when I call him later. We do have a lot of ancient volcanic activity i.e Shiprock and The Valdez Caldera and some as recent a 10,000 years ago (I was at the Land of Fire and Ice a few weeks ago) and Malpais is an example of an ancient, but relatively recent, lava flow that cooled. Volcanic plugs are just remains of an ancient magma vent where it cooled and then the landscape surrounding it eroded away, a typical geologic process.

Itz, who scored a solid A in Geology in her final semester.

https://geoinfo.nmt.edu/faq/volcanoes/

@Sassafras. There is nothing wrong with being a know-it-all when people present inaccurate information.

Date: June 29, 2017 04:32PM

There are many active volcanoes in the Western US.

The Cascade volcanos might be the best known which include volcanoes like Mt Shasta, Mt Lassen, Carter Lake, MT ST Helens, and Mt Rainier near Seattle. There are other volcanoes in the chain that goes up into British Colombia as well.

But there are many others as well.

Other important volcanoes in CA are located near Mammoth MT in Central CA. This region contain around a dozen or so volcanoes any of which can erupt at any time. This region also contain a Supervolcano called the Long Valley Caldera. Next to it is Mammoth MT another active volcano. Although geologists are not concerned about a super eruption any time soon from the Long Valley Caldera because the magma underneath the caldera has cooled too much. In all likely hood if we see any activity in this area, it would more likely be Mammoth MT going off. If so, the experts think Mammoth MT will make MT ST Helens look tame by comparison.

New Mexico has 4 Volcanic zones that contain around 125 or so volcanoes as well. Any of which could erupt again.

1) Carrizozo Volcano
2) Raton-Clayton Volcanic Field that contain around 125 volcanic cones.
3) Valles Caldera This is the 2nd supervolcano that the Western US play Host to (with Yellowstone being the 3rd).
4) Zuni-Bandera volcanic field.

And Valles Caldera could erupt at any time as well.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 04:58PM

Yeah, I'm going to remain skeptical about this claim since it's a 1% chance in the next 100 years.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:51AM

"So, what do you think the TSCC would say about such an event???"

"Let's go shopping!!"

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 07:32PM

I would worry about this if I had time. However in about 5 million years the sun is going to burn out the earth will become a ball of ice and hurtle into outer space. I need to spend much more time worrying about this don't you think?

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 08:19PM

desertman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would worry about this if I had time. However in
> about 5 million years the sun is going to burn out
> the earth will become a ball of ice and hurtle
> into outer space. I need to spend much more time
> worrying about this don't you think?

Arthur Balfour wrote:

Man, so far as natural science by itself is able to teach, is no longer the final cause of the universe, the Heaven-descended heir of all the ages. His very existence is an accident, his story a brief and transitory episode in the life of one of the meanest of the planets. ... We sound the future, and learn that after a period, long compared with the individual life but short indeed compared with the divisions of time open to our investigation, the energies of our system will decay, the glory of the sun will be dimmed, and the earth, tideless and inert, will no longer tolerate the race which for a moment disturbed its solitude.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 08:21AM by commongentile.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 28, 2017 10:53PM

The energy & ash from my st. Helen's went predominately Eastward, a bit Northward, away from Seattle-Tacoma-Everett.

So SLC isn't necessarily in jeopardy.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 02:03PM

This is Due to the GAs allowing female employees to wear slacks & men to take off their jackets, wear (GOSH) colored shirts.

THIS IS THE END!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.