Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 09:43AM

Article doesn't say whether they were arrested or not.

Here it would be a crime to do that ie, deface a tombstone.

Very tacky. Considering it wasn't the first time they've done it either. They have made a pattern of doing it from other cemeteries to that one. Like it's a joke.

Disgusting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 09:59AM

I'm wondering if this is factual, I question sensational news items like this...

Date: June 29, 2017 10:08AM

I didn't read it as sensational.

More as inflammatory due to the disrespect of graves that goes with such an action.

Homelessness is a pervasive problem. This group of troubadours found a way to get some notoriety by what they did. Is it sensationalism? It's more a reflection of the times IMO and how troubled society has become.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 10:28AM

Based on the picture, I'd be fine with them using my tombstone for that purpose. A flamenco dancer up there would cool with me too, or a meditating person, or for a saw horse if they did some construction there....etc.

It doesn't appear that they "defaced" it either, just used it as a table top.

Maybe a bit tacky for some, but I say , no harm no foul on this one as far as how it was used.

Date: June 29, 2017 12:08PM

The heat from the grill is enough to deface the composition of the materials and lettering on the tombstone. They didn't use it as a table top. They used it as a stove top.

That's what I was referencing, in addition to whatever else the hooligans were up to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2017 12:09PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 12:35PM

Actually, they have the grills on a wooden cutting board, which insulates the tombstone from the heat. The boards would pretty much have to be in flames in order to compromise the stone. And even then, the heat of the BBQ on the stone probably wouldn't damage it either...other than leaving a black carbon deposit if the coals were directly on it, which they weren't, they were in a foil pan. That's why they use stone to line fire pits and concrete blocks in wood stoves. I use hot coals directly on stone and concrete when I cook with dutch ovens and have never cracked, defaced, or damaged it. Even the carbon residue cleans off.

I didn't see any danger of defacing the headstone in the picture. It looked like they took necessary precautions and put out a nice spread.

My only point was that it wouldn't bother me in the least if it was my stone. It isn't doing my dead body any good, so someone might as well use for their needs....especially a cookout at a party :)

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 12:04PM

I agree with Johnny the Smoke, and would think it was quite fun to do that on my tomb, but also agree with Amyjo that something about it seems hinky, almost like they're being no-class hooligans about it in an "I piss on your grave" kind of way.

The article doesn't seem funny enough to be fake news.

Posted by: darkprincess ( )
Date: June 29, 2017 12:37PM

I agree probably fake news, but my initial thought is that after I die I am fine with anyone who is homeless using my tombstone or grave for cooking, sleeping, or whatever else they may need to do to stay alive. They could even take a little comfort and have a beer, smoke a bowl, etc. I just hope they clean up afterwards so the next person who needs the space can use it.
I'm dead ... they are alive. They should live.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 01:37PM

Yeah, probably fake. But if not, I have to admit that it is as disrespectful as baptizing a person into a cult who was true and faithful and loved their own religion.

That said, if I were going to be buried, I'd tell them to make me a headstone that can be used as a grill and put on it that any one who is truly hungry and can find no other grill is welcome to toast me. However, I don't think my ashes under a Joshua Tree will do them much good.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 30, 2017 03:38PM

NormaRae Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That said, if I were going to be buried, I'd tell
> them to make me a headstone that can be used as a
> grill and put on it that any one who is truly
> hungry and can find no other grill is welcome to
> toast me. However, I don't think my ashes under a
> Joshua Tree will do them much good.

I had *exactly* the same thought! :)

But like you, I probably won't be buried or have a tombstone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.